Apple should adopt these Pixel 4 features for iPhone 12

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Seems to me the radar/gesture thing is perfect for unintended responses. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Seems to me the radar/gesture thing is perfect for unintended responses. 
    So far no, but it's early. :)
  • Reply 23 of 29
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    mike1 said:
    I've always wanted some of the basic Siri commands to be managed on the device rather than going out to the cloud. Examples include...

Opening any installed app
    Calling a contact. I get that dictating a message might not be practical to do on the device.
    Finding photos already labeled with names
    Telling me what's on my calendar for the day or when my next meeting is.
    Raise and lower volume
    Set a timer
    Needing the Internet to open apps is nuts considering it was possible before siri
  • Reply 24 of 29
    WoodsofEagleCreekWoodsofEagleCreek Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Swiping is what you did back in the days to access a phone with no authentication whatsoever, I would definitely prefer the extra step over giving people a peek of my home screen when I am caught off guard,
  • Reply 25 of 29
    It also kicks in the face scanning to unlock your phone as soon as you reach for the phone, giving it an advantage in speed from locked to unlocked in most cases. If the iPhone were to do this, Face ID would be far faster than the new Pixel 4.

The problem is though that the more ‘forgiving me FaceID becomes (e.g even wider angle, or unlocking when reaching for it) the more false positives can occur. 

Having some ‘friction’ there is important - FaceID really should be pretty damn sure I intend to use the phone, before it reveals detailed information (such as full messages) on the lock screen or unlocks my phone. 

This is why TouchID is better in that regard: you need to physically touch the home button and deliberately request it to unlock for you, as opposed to the phone figuring out when to initiate the unlock process.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    I thought that Siri on device was already there. At WWDC 2019 keynote presentation, at 1:51:11 I hear: (Applause). CRAIG FEDERIGHI: So that's voice control. Now, it leverages the latest Siri voice recognition technology to precisely understand what you are saying and all of those commands and your voice is processed locally on device so none of that audio goes to Apple.
    watto_cobraavon b7
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    payeco said:
    I agree with everything here except the bypass unlock feature, unless it was optional. I very frequently look at my notifications on my lock screen while I’m working or watching TV and don’t want my phone to be unlocked/on the home screen. It would be a big hassle. Right now, while my phone is on it’s charging stand while I’m working I can just quickly reach over and tap the screen and glance at my most recent notifications with almost no effort. If it bypasses that I’d now have to tap it to unlock, then once on the home screen, swipe down to get the Notification Center. 
    I think you're misinterpreting the idea. If you tap the phone like you described, and didn't unlock it, it would still show your notifications. However, if you picked up the phone and unlocked it, it would go directly to your home screen without having to swipe up.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I thought that Siri on device was already there. At WWDC 2019 keynote presentation, at 1:51:11 I hear: (Applause). CRAIG FEDERIGHI: So that's voice control. Now, it leverages the latest Siri voice recognition technology to precisely understand what you are saying and all of those commands and your voice is processed locally on device so none of that audio goes to Apple.
    I tried this by putting the phone in airplane mode and immediately got a "Siri Not Available. You are not connected to the internet" message.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 29 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mike1 said:
    I tried this by putting the phone in airplane mode and immediately got a "Siri Not Available. You are not connected to the internet" message.
    It's becoming typical for Apple: over-promise & under-deliver.