Apple TV+ launches with original series and movies

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
After months of rumor, speculation and fanfare, Apple's first foray into video streaming, Apple TV+, launched on Friday at midnight Pacific, offering customers and media a first look at what the tech company brings to an already crowded table.

Apple TV+
Apple debuts "The Morning Show" at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City in October.

As promised, the service went live on Nov. 1 in the TV app on iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS, the web and third-party platforms including Roku and Amazon's Fire TV Stick, offering long-awaited access to Apple's original content library. Subscriptions are priced at $4.99 a month.

Ahead of today's debut, AppleInsider was able to take an early look at five Apple original series, including "The Morning Show," "See," "For All Mankind," "Dickinson" and "The Elephant Queen."

Also debuting today are episodes of "Helpsters," "Ghost Writer" and "Snoopy in Space."

Customers who purchased an iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV and iPod touch after Sept. 10, 2019, are for a limited time eligible for a year of free Apple TV+. Signing up is as simple as opening the TV app on the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, macOS or tvOS, and agreeing to Apple's terms and conditions. The app might request a valid Apple ID for redemption and initiation.

Apple details the process:
1. Turn on your new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, or Mac and sign in with your Apple ID.
2. Open the Apple TV app on November 1 or later. Make sure your eligible device is running the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
3. The offer should be presented immediately after launching the app. If not, scroll down in Watch Now until the offer appears.
4. Tap "Enjoy 1 Year Free." You might be asked to enter your Apple ID password, confirm your billing information, or add a valid payment method. You will not be charged during the 1 year free trial.
Following the year of free service, the trial automatically converts into a paying subscription. Those who do not wish to continue can opt out in Settings, but doing so results in immediate termination of the offer, meaning users lose access to Apple TV+. The trial cannot be reactivated once it is cancelled.

Alternatively, owners without trial-eligible devices can sign up for seven days of free access, which auto-renews into a monthly subscription.

Alongside full episodes of shows like "The Morning Show" and "For All Mankind," users can view trailers for current and upcoming series and specials directly in the TV app or at tv.apple.com. Subscribers can watch Apple TV+ on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, Apple TV (3rd generation), and compatible smart TVs and streaming boxes. The web portal is supported by Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

Apple TV+ is available in more than 100 countries and regions, with originals subtitled or dubbed in nearly 40 languages, including Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (SDH) or closed captions, Apple says. Audio descriptions for select series and movies will be available in eight languages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I wonder if Apple adapted TV+ content to smaller screens. For example, shot faces closer than usual.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    ThrashmanThrashman Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    In other news...a 500 foot high Oprah Winfrey balloon is currently tethered and floating over Apple Park.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I just saw the first of Episode of See, if all the content is of the same quality, I'm in! Just amazing ... what a relief!
    randominternetpersonAppleExposedwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Worked like a charm.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    10 minutes of the Morning Show and there had been enough political correct words for the rest of the year. - Barf!
    trashman69lkrupprcfarazorpitdavgregAppleExposedjbdragonThrashman
  • Reply 6 of 26
    iPhone 11 here, Australia, November 1st but no 1 year free trial. Maybe I have to wait for one more day until the sun comes around to my side of the world.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Interesting—Apple's support told me my August purchase of a MacBook Air was covered (it's been less than 90 days). But the date in the article (and my own going into the TV app) confirms they were wrong and I'm only eligible for the seven-day trial. Oh, well—there's nothing compelling enough for me to bug them about that. I hope everyone else enjoys it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    galfridus said:
    Interesting—Apple's support told me my August purchase of a MacBook Air was covered (it's been less than 90 days). But the date in the article (and my own going into the TV app) confirms they were wrong and I'm only eligible for the seven-day trial. Oh, well—there's nothing compelling enough for me to bug them about that. I hope everyone else enjoys it.
    Are you in Australia or USA? You might need to wait one more day. I’m hoping it clicks over to one year on November 2nd 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    JosephAU said:
    iPhone 11 here, Australia, November 1st but no 1 year free trial. Maybe I have to wait for one more day until the sun comes around to my side of the world.
    Same here (also in Australia). Bought a new XR from Apple after Sep 10, but currently not showing the free year. Perhaps tomorrow. 
    edited November 2019 JosephAUwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Guess I want my free one-year after having spent a fortune on Apple equipment since my first Mac in 1997, currently having 15 Apple HW units in use in a household of 2, so I shall have to wait one year before subscribing!

Great way to treat good customers!

mrakoplas
  • Reply 11 of 26
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Regarding comment by @Rpt, even if you didnt make a recent purchase, there are all kinds of free viewings offered via ATV app. I'm even seeing offers in US of free first seasons of HBO series like Sopranos and Sharp Objects.... in other news, Guardian today gives five stars in review of Morning Show.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    leighr said:
    JosephAU said:
    Same here (also in Australia). Bought a new XR from Apple after Sep 10, but currently not showing the free year. Perhaps tomorrow. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    On the Apple Discussion Forums people are bitching about  not seeing the “free” subscription option on their recently purchased devices. I would imagine this has to do with warranty registration and which Apple ID is being used. I don’t know why so many people have multiple Apple IDs because all it does is muck things up in terms of subscriptions and purchases. Who bought what with what Apple ID?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    JosephAU said:
    galfridus said:
    Are you in Australia or USA? You might need to wait one more day. I’m hoping it clicks over to one year on November 2nd 
    I'm in the US. I'll look again tomorrow, but I suspect the support agent I was talking with was misinformed (and she'll find out for herself, because she mentioned she had just bought a new iPad and was looking forward to getting a free year, too).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    N/m
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 16 of 26
    BwlmogBwlmog Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    I’m going to watch with interest the content evolution on the platform, some interesting shows at launch but not enough content at the moment to make me want to move away from Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    rpt said:
    Guess I want my free one-year after having spent a fortune on Apple equipment since my first Mac in 1997, currently having 15 Apple HW units in use in a household of 2, so I shall have to wait one year before subscribing!

Agreed.  It is great that they are giving a free year for people who buy their products.  Oh, they didn't make it completely free for anyone who ever bought one of their products?  Huh, that's funny because every other great company gives their new offerings away for free to hundreds of people... Oh wait.  Ok, I'm back with you: Apple is treating their customers great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rpt said:

The point of your post is unclear. Are you saying that you have not purchased a new Apple device since 9/10/19 but expect to be given a free year anyway because you have been a loyal customer since 1997. So you expect all current Apple users to be given a free year of TV+ also? I bought my first Apple product in 1982 so maybe I should get a free lifetime subscription? 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    This worked for me and got my free Apple TV + subscription 

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/01/not-seeing-apple-tv-1-year-free-trial/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    lkrupp said:
    I don’t know why so many people have multiple Apple IDs because all it does is muck things up in terms of subscriptions and purchases.
    It's not that uncommon. For me, it goes back to the iTools days. I have an old mac.com ID that's tied to iTunes purchases, but I let .Mac lapse because I wasn't using it and couldn't justify the expense. Eventually, I re-upped under MobileMe when it was clear the service was more useful, and got a me.com address, but I couldn't merge the two accounts. Thus, I have two Apple ID accounts now (the old mac.com one has become a fifth "family member" so it can share its purchases with my wife and kids) and I highly doubt I'm in the minority when it comes to long-time Mac users.

That being said, my MBA was bought under the me.com account, and is signed into iCloud and the TV app using the same me.com account, so (for me) the issue is simply that Apple's not extending this back a full 90 days (despite support telling me it would).
    watto_cobra