Apple Card users having problems with making payments

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2019
A number of Apple Card customers are having problems managing their credit card, with reports of users struggling to make payments to the credit facility through the Wallet app, with the distinct possibility of some users accidentally making multiple payments against their account balance.

Apple Card is designed with a variety of management settings within the Wallet app, such as tools to estimate interest based on payment schedules, and categorizing purchases, as well as the reward system, Apple Daily Cash. The app is also the primary way for users to make payments to the card's balance.

In postings to Twitter, as well as readers contacting AppleInsider directly, there appears to be some issues with the Apple Card service for a number of users, chiefly those attempting to make a payment to the card balance through Wallet.

The issues vary in severity, with some users seeing the message "Account Services Unavailable" and to try again later, while others progress further and can attempt to make payments. One user reports trying to pay a balance and being given the message the amount is "too high," and some actually attempt the payment but do not get a verification of the payment itself.

I am - I got this message from support: pic.twitter.com/YWRQRce86l

-- Matthew P. McNees (@MatthewPMcNees)

Users affected by the issue are finding they are waiting for considerable lengths of time before being able to get in contact with a Goldman Sachs representative of the service via Apple Business Chat or over the phone. So far affected customers are being informed of the existence of an "issue with their available credit or balance displayed within Wallet," and that it would be resolved shortly.

In an Apple Business Chat conversation shared with AppleInsider by a reader, where they attempted to pay and saw the message "Processing, done" but the card shows the same balance, the user is informed "We are aware of the issue and we are currently working to resolve it," with the advice to check back in a few hours and to not make any further payment attempts.

The representative acknowledges the existence of five payments set to be paid that day, due to multiple attempts by the user, with the advice to contact support to cancel the extra unwanted payments. When the request is made via text, the representative advises it cannot be completed over chat, only over the phone.

Given the relatively few posts on Twitter and to messages to AppleInsider, it is unlikely that the issue is widespread. At present, it appears that it impacts only a small number of users attempting to make the payments on Friday.

AppleInsider has asked for clarification from Apple on the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    In making my first official payment (Sept billing paid by the end of October) I was unable to do so online via Verizon, rather I had to use wifi (ended up in an Apple store as power was out where I lived in California).  My Verizon had internet, but the Wallet app continued to advise that it had no internet access.   The Apple Store's wifi was not secure (most aren't) and I was reluctant to use it, but it was my only option as the deadline was coming up.

Otherwise I have been super happy using Apple Card and continue to transition most of my charges from AMEX to Apple Card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Hhehehehehehe......no thanks Apple
    card for now
    lkrupprazorpitchemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Three payments made with no problems.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’ve made several payments without issues so far. Didn't wait for the statement, just paid the balance. Apple Card is tied to my bank checking account and I just enabled automatic payments. First auto-payment due 11/30/19.
    welshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39
    emoeller said:
    In making my first official payment (Sept billing paid by the end of October) I was unable to do so online via Verizon, rather I had to use wifi (ended up in an Apple store as power was out where I lived in California).  My Verizon had internet, but the Wallet app continued to advise that it had no internet access.   The Apple Store's wifi was not secure (most aren't) and I was reluctant to use it, but it was my only option as the deadline was coming up.

Otherwise I have been super happy using Apple Card and continue to transition most of my charges from AMEX to Apple Card.
    The apps themselves use secure connection, so would it make a difference whether the WIFI was open or not?  
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 39
    I've made several payments on mine, no issues at all. I've been impressed with my experience so far.
    lkruppmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I've made several payments on mine, no issues at all. I've been impressed with my experience so far.
    There will always be outliers and the Internet amplifies them. Nothing to see here.
    mike1MissNomerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 39
    ...with the distinct possibility of some users accidentally making multiple payments against their account balance.

{in my head}
    Customer: [exasperated sigh] I've had a really hard time making my Apple Card payment go through.  To make matters worse, my bank has informed me that multiple payments have been deducted from my checking and all those deductions show Apple Card payment.

Goldman: [bumps line... sniffles]  Yeah, I'm not seeing anything on my end.  Try it again.

Customer: Uh... okay [tries again]  See anything now?

Goldman: Nooooope.  Nothin'.  Just keep tryin' till one of 'em goes through.  [bumps another line]
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I really don't see this card as any different than any other card unless you use it with Apple. Going to pass for now.
    razorpitelectrosoftchemengin1
  • Reply 10 of 39
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    emoeller said:

Insecure Wifi is a misnomer. If a web page or internet request/response is done over an SSL connection, that's a "secure tunnel" over the Wifi connection, and is perfectly safe to do so. Adding a password to a wifi network does little to secure your requests and responses. Those requests and responses need to be done over a secure connection, regardless of how you're connecting to the internet. Does that make sense?

For example, accessing "http://www.site .com" (note the "http") is not secure and could be snooped on a Wifi network, whether it's password-protected or not. However, accessing "https://www.site .com" (note the "https") is secure and is safe over a Wifi connection, whether it's got a password or not. See the difference?

You can bet your bottom dollar that all requests/responses for Apple apps are done over a secure connection, so you don't need to care if the wifi network is password-protected or not. They are going to give that password out to everyone anyway, so it doesn't add any protection. Your secure tunnel is all that matters.

A VPN adds an extra layer of secure tunnel "around" any of your requests/responses, and it's easy and cheap to set up VPNs these days. I run one all day with zero performance hits. (Personally, I don't use the commercial VPN services, but spun up my own in a nearby datacenter, so I get super-fast connections. This approach is not for everyone, though). Using a VPN would likely solve your Verizon issue, too. Choose a VPN connection that's geographically close to you to get the best performance.

watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 39
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Hhehehehehehe......no thanks Apple
    card for now
    Hehehehehe ??

I made my first payment yesterday as well.  Transferred money from my bank account to Apple cash and then paid the balance of my Apple card from there. No issues.. Received an Apple cash transaction receipt via email a short while later detailing my payment to Apple card. This was done over cellular ( TMobile ) which gave me no problems either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    I made a forum post early this morning about this issue. I have made previous payments with no issue. However today I paid through my iphone the full balance and it went like always. select full amount, submit, click side of phone twice, it then does facial recognition, a sound of a ding plays and normally there is a payment notification.

This morning no notification of payment received so I just did the payment again. Now again no notification and no balance decrease showing.
    I contacted apple/Goldman and was on chat for over 1 hour 10 minutes and on the phone 1 hour 20 minutes and that does not count the delays and transfers etc.
    a manager stated I can see both payments and kept apologizing for the issue. I said if you see them just remove one. She said another department does that work and they are really bogged down because of others having the same issues.

She said they will do an internal dispute and put the second payment back in your account. so they just cannot remove payments as someone said. she was saying 3-5 business days. 

I contacted my CU and they said they will block applecard/Goldmansachs from getting any monies. Now the manager at GS said tell them how much my CU charged me to stop payment and they will reimburse me. so not only is the customers service inconsistent they just put you off. so for a mistake on their end, they want the card payer to jump through hoops.

Told my wife not to pay hers until this is all sorted out. Oh the card still posts immediate charges like it always did, not payments. Not good.
    indieshackmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 39
    I was charged an interest payment for October even though I made the correct payment on time yesterday to forgo the interest charge. My available credit is incorrectly displayed, but my present balance remaining on the card is correct. I was told by a Goldman Sachs rep through the chat feature that the interest payment would be reversed when the system is sorted out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39
    I set my bank account (Oct 30th) up and paid through that, went smoothly
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Paid twice so far. No problems here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    This one happened to me today. My payment didn't return a verification or change the balance figure. So I paid it again, same thing. 10 minutes later the both went thru. Oops.
    watto_cobrajo
  • Reply 17 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    This one happened to me today. My payment didn't return a verification or change the balance figure. So I paid it again, same thing. 10 minutes later the both went thru. Oops.
    I had this happen in a single instance with AMEX. I made a payment the day before the due date, or at least thought I did, several thousand dollars. The next evening on the day it would have been due showed no payment was made so I immediately did one. By the next day both payments were acknowledged but as it was a Sunday they were not yet processed.

Monday morning my secretary called AMEX and advised what happened. The rep said he couldn't do anything to correct it until the payments actually posted but I could contact my bank to stop payment on the duplicate. 

Totally the wrong advice.  As far as their automated systems were concerned my payment didn't clear and I was in default. Two other accounts with them were immediately placed in default too and interest rates on the balances raised according to the default terms. It took two more billing cycles before everything was corrected. What a zoo!
  • Reply 18 of 39
    I have not experienced any problems.  It’s a great, easy to use and the service from Goldman has been quite good. I can’t unserstand why AI wastes its time on a small number of tweeter rants.  It’s starting to feel a bit whiny and feeds into the “hate everything Apple” aura.  All i know is that i linked my card directly to my checking account and set up ACH payments automatically at the end of each month  .  Works seamlessly. Try it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    I've had no problems making payments. Rewards are somewhat lacking and the interest rate is only OK. Probably will just use it for Apple purchases to get the best reward level.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Not sure if it's related, but I was fiddling with my chosen payment amount a few days before my card's payment due date. Then, when the due date came, I received three separate payment notifications, for three different amounts. Support was completely useless.