Apple TV+ review: don't wake up for 'The Morning Show' just yet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Apparently I'm in a minority. I liked it a lot, and I am eager to see more episodes. I'm recommending it to friends.

Part of what I like is that you can't anticipate what's going to happen based on stereotypes. We think we understand the characters, but they aren't quite what they seem. Aniston's character seems to be strong and powerful, yet is apparently flying by the seat of her pants and acting more out of desperation than ambition.

I think we're supposed to believe Witherspoon's character is a plucky reporter about to get her big break in the big city, but she's got a lot of Tonya Harding in her. The Billy Crudup character is my favorite. Early on we're led to believe he's a stereotypical evil executive, but I'm not so sure. While he does some evil-executive things, I'm not yet convinced it's due to an all-encompassing need for power as it is glee in the chaos that is erupting around him. Perhaps more Thomas Crown than Joker - a bored person in power, happy to let the chaos swirl rather than trying to direct its energy.

My only complaint is there's perhaps a bit too much R-rated language. I guess you could argue it's realistic. I don't know, I don't live in that world. But for an Apple production, it had a surprising amount of NSFW language. 
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 22 of 25
    cesco said:
    Jennifer Anniston. 'Nuff said
    It's hard to know what you mean. That sentence could mean you love the show, or it could mean you hate it.

A lot of people like Aniston for her acting ability and will watch anything she's in. Then there are people who like her simply for her beauty and will watch anything she's in. There are people who despise her for lack of acting ability and won't watch anything she's in. There are those who think she is overrated and won't watch anything she's in. There are also people who despise her simply because they think it makes them edgy.

Which of those are you? Why do you think simply mentioning her name is 'Nuff?
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 23 of 25
    blastdoor said:
    Bummer -- this was the one I hoped would be good, given the talent. 
    Don't give up without watching for yourself. There are people who think it is very good. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I don't really care for "The Morning Show".

On the other hand "See" may have possibilities. I'll give that one a few more episodes to develop.
    By the way watching "See" on my Pixelbook, while "The Morning Show" was on my Roku TV.  There's no Apple hardware required, only an AppleID/iTunes account which can be set up almost anywhere including directly on Roku. 
    edited November 2019 tenthousandthings
  • Reply 25 of 25
    tuba said:
    Based on seeing the first three episodes... I sincerely disagree with your assessment of the show. The show addresses the existence of grey area and nuance... demanding a firm stance one way or the other would not be a true and courageous representation of reality. It explores the grey area that exists in life, which is a very valid, thoughtful and intelligent perspective (and yes I understand it’s a limited perspective given it’s through the eyes of privileged celebrities living in a bubble but that’s the nature of TV). Based on your review, you are missing the entire point and direction of the show. What will be very interesting is if the show truly dives into the grey areas they have been presenting through the first three episodes. It’s our willingness to explore and discuss the grey areas that brings about meaningful perspectives not demanding a stance one way or the other at all times. I feel they have embarked on a very ambitious venture that covers a range of topics that has high risks as they will have to address what will be very controversial subjects (the only way the show flops is by not addressing the grey but everything points to them doing that through the first three episodes) - because in today’s world everyone is demanding an immediate stance rather than exploring the nuance.
    Best review I have read of the first 3 episodes. I would add that Jennifer Anniston's acting was beyond what I was expecting. 

On a side note, Steve Carell's rolls went from a 40-year-old virgin to an alleged 50-year-old sexual predator.
    edited November 2019 razorpit