Apple contributing $2.5 billion to fight housing shortage in California

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    You can not build unless the government allow you to build on land they are trying to keep people from building on. You can not protect land and also build and you can not go up due to the earthquake, yes there are tall build, but the cost/SqFt is so high only the 1% can afford.

Calif is the only state which built housing for lower incoming individuals which cost $600K per unit and the federal housing authority is subsidizing building as well the rent the individual will pay to live in these low income housing.

If you do not live in Calif your federal taxes are going to build $600k apartments unit for people who can not afford to live in Calif since they lack the skill/education to do most of the jobs which exist in Calif. 
    SpamSandwichJWSC
  • Reply 22 of 66
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    A couple of observations:

1. Apple routinely invests in its supply chain. Employees, or employees of contractors, are part of that supply chain
    2. Foxconn provides dormitories to employees near factories

I wonder if one were to peel back all the PR on this, we'd find that this is largely about Apple trying to make sure that they have access to an adequate labor supply in the Bay Area. The fact that it's also good PR is a nice two-fer. 
  • Reply 23 of 66
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    This is great, but doesn’t solve the root problem of why housing is so expensive there which is insane California regulations and having to pay a mob of state inspectors. 
    Nice sentiment, but this is window dressing.  $2B is a drop in the bucket when talking California real estate.  If I were Apple I would fear that the money would never get to its intended targets (teachers, firefighters, and other public servants) and instead line the pockets of moneyed middlemen.

The repeal of Proposition 13 would go a long way toward solving this problem.  But vested interested want to keep it that way.  The California housing market has been rendered illiquid by this well intentioned but deeply flawed law.  The law of unintended consequences is a bitch you know.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 24 of 66
    blastdoor said:

1. Apple routinely invests in its supply chain. Employees, or employees of contractors, are part of that supply chain

I wonder if one were to peel back all the PR on this, we'd find that this is largely about Apple trying to make sure that they have access to an adequate labor supply in the Bay Area. The fact that it's also good PR is a nice two-fer. 
    Street people are not part of the supply chain. This is Tim Cook and Apple bailing out the incompetent Governor.
    B-Mc-C
  • Reply 25 of 66
    gatorguy said:
    OK, Tim has got to go. This is the final straw. This is a blatant misuse of company funds. I think even Steve Jobs would’ve fired him on the spot. Apple is not a piggy bank for Tim (or their board of directors) to apply to any non-Apple vanity cause they want. 

This is essentially stealing money from the shareholders in order to support a political agenda.
    I think the vast majority of it is loans and leases where Apple is repaid, perhaps even profits. Very little of it is in the form of grants. 
    According to their press release, $1 billion of the total (which is not the vast majority) is “mortgage assistance”... in other words, Apple is engaging in the same mentality that contributed to the housing market collapse which crashed the economy in 2008. To be brutally honest, this looks like Tim Cook misappropriating funds from Apple using the cover of “charity” to prime the pump for his political ambitions:

• $1 billion first-time homebuyer mortgage assistance fund: Working with the state, this first-time homebuyer fund will provide aspiring homebuyers with financing and down payment assistance. Apple and the state will explore strategies to increase access to first-time homeownership opportunities for essential service personnel, school employees and veterans.
    edited November 2019 auxioB-Mc-C
  • Reply 26 of 66
    dysamoria said:
    OK, Tim has got to go. This is the final straw. This is a blatant misuse of company funds. I think even Steve Jobs would’ve fired him on the spot. Apple is not a piggy bank for Tim (or their board of directors) to apply to any non-Apple vanity cause they want. 

This is essentially stealing money from the shareholders in order to support a political agenda.
    Do you actively work as seeming as antisocial as possible, or does this level of Wall Street worship come easily?
    A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous. 
  • Reply 27 of 66
    blastdoor said:
    dysamoria said:

Do you actively work as seeming as antisocial as possible, or does this level of Wall Street worship come easily?
    In answer to the other guy, whom I have blocked:

https://aaronhall.com/shareholder-rights/
    edited November 2019 B-Mc-C
  • Reply 28 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    gatorguy said:

I think the vast majority of it is loans and leases where Apple is repaid, perhaps even profits. Very little of it is in the form of grants. 
    According to their press release, $1 billion of the total (which is not the vast majority) is “mortgage assistance”... in other words, Apple is engaging in the same mentality that contributed to the housing market collapse which crashed the economy in 2008
    For sure.  Helping people pay mortgages that they can't afford in the first place is no help at all.  As I said in my post, you need to find ways to prevent housing markets from getting out of reach of the average middle-class American in the first place.  A good step in that direction is to prevent property investment (curtail the inflated demand it creates).
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 29 of 66
    blastdoor said:

Street people are not part of the supply chain. This is Tim Cook and Apple bailing out the incompetent Governor.
    It’s not just the current governor but a succession of governors with equally underwhelming state legislators that are responsible for this mess.  Look at the fires and the power outages.  The politicians are putting 100% of the blame on PG&E or nebulous climate change effects without looking at their own policies and state laws that are the primary drivers.  Not one ounce of acknowledged culpability or remorse.  It’s always something or someone else.

California used to be the place everyone wanted to go.  Not anymore.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 66
    JWSC said:
    blastdoor said:

It’s not just the current governor but a succession of governors with equally underwhelming state legislators that are responsible for this mess.  Look at the fires and the power outages.  The politicians are putting 100% of the blame on PG&E or nebulous climate change effects without looking at their own policies and state laws that are the primary drivers.  Not one ounce of acknowledged culpability or remorse.  It’s always something or someone else.

I’m sure some people here are familiar with the “Poop Map” that has been created in response to the sidewalk defecation of street people in San Francisco. The city is a disaster.
    B-Mc-C
  • Reply 31 of 66
    auxio said:
    gatorguy said:

According to their press release, $1 billion of the total (which is not the vast majority) is “mortgage assistance”... in other words, Apple is engaging in the same mentality that contributed to the housing market collapse which crashed the economy in 2008
    For sure.  Helping people pay mortgages that they can't afford in the first place is no help at all.  As I said in my post, you need to find ways to prevent housing markets from getting out of reach of the average middle-class American in the first place.  A good step in that direction is to prevent property investment (curtail the inflated demand it creates).
    There are too many restrictions and regulations on property owners in the State and in the case of San Francisco, it’s not possible to build massive housing complexes on a very limited amount of land in an earthquake zone. The correct response to this is... people and businesses need to move away until the housing market achieves equilibrium. Subsidies will exacerbate the problems.
    JWSCB-Mc-Crandominternetperson
  • Reply 32 of 66
    JWSC said:
    blastdoor said:

My $0.02 is that representative democracy (people vote for legislators who then figures out which laws make sense) is much more efficient and effective than direct democracy (people vote directly on the laws). A system that requires everybody to be a policy expert is clearly going to be less efficient than one in which a smaller group specializes in understanding policy. This is basic specialization of labor. 

It seems to me that CA has been badly hurt by direct democracy. 
  • Reply 33 of 66
    JWSC said:
    blastdoor said:

I’m sure some people here are familiar with the “Poop Map” that has been created in response to the sidewalk defecation of street people in San Francisco. The city is a disaster.
    Maybe Apple’s design team can design and fund public toilets in SanFran.  That would be an environmentally friendly effort, although maybe not the kind that public relations virtue signaling folks would embrace.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 34 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    auxio said:
    gatorguy said:

There are too many restrictions and regulations on property owners in the State and in the case of San Francisco, it’s not possible to build massive housing complexes on a very limited amount of land in an earthquake zone. The correct response to this is... people and businesses need to move away until the housing market achieves equilibrium. Subsidies will exacerbate the problems.
    I guess I'm looking at the big picture since I see this happen in almost every major urban area in the world.  Where, eventually, housing prices are simply out of the reach of the average person and so property ownership becomes concentrated in the hands of a few and everyone else is relegated to renting.  London, New York, Hong Kong, San Francisco, and now here in Toronto.  I realize there's no guarantee in life of home ownership, but it would certainly create more stable and sustainable local economies (limit the effect of economic boom/bust cycles) to have less empty investment boxes and more people enjoying home ownership.  Try to bring as many people "along for the ride" as we can and give them a stake in the game (but not a subsidized stake by any means).
    edited November 2019 StrangeDaysroundaboutnow
  • Reply 35 of 66
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member

Either you forgot the /s tag or you're a blithering blathering idiot. My money is on the latter.

If the shareholders have a beef, they'll make it known.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 66
    blastdoor said:
    JWSC said:
    blastdoor said:

My $0.02 is that representative democracy (people vote for legislators who then figures out which laws make sense) is much more efficient and effective than direct democracy (people vote directly on the laws). A system that requires everybody to be a policy expert is clearly going to be less efficient than one in which a smaller group specializes in understanding policy. This is basic specialization of labor. 

It seems to me that CA has been badly hurt by direct democracy. 
    Maybe.  Switzerland seems to do OK with it.  Their educational system is robust enough to maintain a well educated public.  Their society is more homogeneous than California.  They do not have to deal with a massive influx of immigrants from around the world with very different social, cultural and educational backgrounds.  Point is, I wouldn’t blame direct democracy for California’s shambolic state.  Bigger culprits await more comprehensive solutions.
    edited November 2019 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 37 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Missing sarcasm tag or more living in the deep end of delusion?

Quite telling that your type don’t want the government to help the poorer classes, and now you’re whining when non-government decides to help. “Corporations are people too, friend” - if that was true when GOPer Romney said it, why isn’t it now? Should people be free to give what they wish? Don’t like it, don’t invest. Sell and find a person who closer aligns to your miserly preferences. 
    edited November 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 38 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    blastdoor said:
    dysamoria said:

The Dumbest Idea In The World: Maximizing Shareholder Value:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2011/11/28/maximizing-shareholder-value-the-dumbest-idea-in-the-world/

JWSC
  • Reply 39 of 66
    gatorguy said:

According to their press release, $1 billion of the total (which is not the vast majority) is “mortgage assistance”... in other words, Apple is engaging in the same mentality that contributed to the housing market collapse which crashed the economy in 2008. To be brutally honest, this looks like Tim Cook misappropriating funds from Apple using the cover of “charity” to prime the pump for his political ambitions:

• $1 billion first-time homebuyer mortgage assistance fund: Working with the state, this first-time homebuyer fund will provide aspiring homebuyers with financing and down payment assistance. Apple and the state will explore strategies to increase access to first-time homeownership opportunities for essential service personnel, school employees and veterans.
    Can’t there be a shareholder suit to stop this? Is this news what knocked a dollar off the share price early this morning as the rest of the market continued to climb? I live in California and out of principle, can’t sell my AAPL to buy a home due to the high taxes and how they’ll be spent, yet our money is being taken to help other people buy (I’m not a school employee nor veteran so I won’t ever qualify to benefit from this). I am so tired of paying for other people. Also agree with those saying Chinese investment has jacked up the housing prices, effectively pricing Americans out of the American dream.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 40 of 66
    blastdoor said:
    dysamoria said:

The Dumbest Idea In The World: Maximizing Shareholder Value:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2011/11/28/maximizing-shareholder-value-the-dumbest-idea-in-the-world/

Gotta agree with that one.