Qualcomm hints 5G iPhone coming in 2020, analysts say

Posted:
in iPhone
Qualcomm issued rosy predictions for the wider 5G market on Wednesday, saying it expects some 200 million smartphones will rely on the speedy wireless technology in 2020. Analysts reading into the statement believe the chipmaker is dropping a hint about Apple's iPhone.

iPhone 5G

During an investor conference call following Qualcomm's earnings reveal, CFO Akash Palkhiwala said 2020 will hold "two inflection points" for 5G chips, reports Reuters.

The first major development for 5G will be the spring launch of handsets from the likes of Samsung and miscellaneous Chinese manufacturers, firms known to have existing contracts and licensing deals with Qualcomm. A second inflection point while arrive "in the fall time frame when another set of flagship devices will adopt 5G," Palkhiwala said.

While the executive failed to name the flagship devices in question, analysts are guessing the market estimate includes iPhone. As noted in the report, Apple and Google typically introduce new smartphones in fall in lockstep with an annual release cycle. Apple, for example, has for the past seven years unveiled a new iPhone every September.

Bernstein analyst Stacy Rasgon and Summit Insights Group analyst Kinngai Chan both expect Apple to integrate 5G hardware in iPhone next year. Rasgon noted the chipmaker's 200 million unit estimate was not "hugely surprising" as it likely accounts for Apple orders, the report said.

Further, Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf in an interview said his company has been tapped to provide 5G silicon to 230 device designs. That figure is up dramatically from 150 devices last quarter.

"We're continuing to see strength in the licensing business, particularly after we've added in the deal we signed this year with Apple, and we're on the front end of the 5G transition, which will impact our product business," Mollenkopf said. "We're closer to that and we're really seeing the signs that we should be confident."

After using Intel modems to power its iPhone and iPad lines for two years, Apple is widely expected to return to former baseband chip supplier Qualcomm in 2020.

Apple and Qualcomm in April settled a worldwide legal fight over licensing and alleged anticompetitive practices. With 5G on the horizon, industry watchers anticipate Apple to leverage the new arrangement, which involves a six-year licensing and supply deal, to build the next-generation wireless tech into its portables as early as next year.

Looking ahead, Apple is rumored to be working on its own 5G modem for iPhone by 2022, with an eye on integration in its A-series system-on-chip designs by 2023. Intel's now-defunct smartphone modem arm, which Apple purchased in July for an estimated $1 billion, will likely play a key role in the project.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    My impression of the Qualcomm CFO is less than stellar. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    There was plenty of hype for 5G this year in 2019, however it was all meaningless, as 5G wont mean anything until Apple enters the game.

I also think that there was zero need for Apple to have made the move this year, and it would have been dumb as a matter of fact, because the whole 5G situation is still premature.

And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if 5G comes to iPhone in 2020, that's not a huge stretch to believe.

I think that 5G will be on the next premium iPhones and I think that the SE 2 will not have it. I have no basis whatsoever for claiming that, I am just guessing and pulling things out of my butt, but I have faith in my butt pulls, because historically speaking, I am no less wrong than the vast majority of analysts, and sometimes much more correct.
    MisterKitleavingthebiggn2itivguyanantksundaramnadrielwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    apple ][ said:
    There was plenty of hype for 5G this year in 2019, however it was all meaningless, as 5G wont mean anything until Apple enters the game.
    There may be some truth to that, but I think a better way to word that is: Apple won't enter the game until 5G means something.
    cy_starkmanrazorpitMplsPthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Soli said:
    apple ][ said:
    There may be some truth to that, but I think a better way to word that is: Apple won't enter the game until 5G means something.
    That is true. I agree with that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Apple‘s entry to 5G is already late and it's hardly a prediction that Apple will need to release 5G compatible iPhones next year at the latest. Whilst some may claim Apple needed not release 5G phones, fact is, the world is far bigger than just the slow to move US 5G market unless that's how Apple sees its market. 5G has been aggressively rolled out in the largest mobile market on the planet and absence of Apple is more of a worry for Apple than anyone else.
    avon b7
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Ciprol said:
    Apple‘s entry to 5G is already late and it's hardly a prediction that Apple will need to release 5G compatible iPhones next year at the latest. Whilst some may claim Apple needed not release 5G phones, fact is, the world is far bigger than just the slow to move US 5G market unless that's how Apple sees its market. 5G has been aggressively rolled out in the largest mobile market on the planet and absence of Apple is more of a worry for Apple than anyone else.
    My opinion is that Apple is not late at all and I think that they know exactly what they're doing.

China is not the most important market in the world for Apple. It's not even the second most important market.

There's also a bit of politics involved as many countries, and I don't just mean the USA , are wary of Huawei and the Chinese Govt, and then there's the ongoing trade dispute still taking place.

5G is still in its infancy in terms of adoption, and there's still plenty to happen.
    tmayn2itivguyStrangeDaysanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Part of the reasons why I bought an iPhone this year is that I did NOT want 5G .......
    cy_starkmanblastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 54
    hydrogen said:
    Part of the reasons why I bought an iPhone this year is that I did NOT want 5G .......
    Is this like anti-spec envy?
  • Reply 9 of 54
    hydrogen said:
    I thinks it's more like 5G hardware is not yet good enough.  I've read that it requires a lot of juice to run it, which means shorter battery life.  I'd rather have increased battery life than faster speed, because LTE is fast enough for my needs.
    tmaycy_starkmanhydrogenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    apple ][ said:
    That means they are already late.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    hydrogen said:
    if he is like me (i also bought this year’s iPhone) then he knows that 5G tech and network is going to be expensive, heavy and crappy for a couple years.

next year it will be coupled to a new design with flaws and nearly theres, this will refine over 3 years (as the 2 year S cycle is done with) until the 2022 iPhone, which will be like the 11Pro is now, a total monster with everything tuned to perfection.

by then 5G will be rolled out, prices for access will have normalised, it will have had improvements in range etc, Apple will have it integrated instead of it wasting space and power with some shitty Qualcomm clunker: and I won’t have to begrudgingly see too much of my money go to Qualcomm.

either that or they are worried about what having a mm wave grid covering our cities in density will mean. there is a lot of FUD about that, which seems in my mind to distract from what such a network might do and might be worth being concerned about.

shrug
    hydrogenfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    apple ][ said:
    Ciprol said:
    My opinion is that Apple is not late at all and I think that they know exactly what they're doing.

China is not the most important market in the world for Apple. It's not even the second most important market.

There's also a bit of politics involved as many countries, and I don't just mean the USA , are wary of Huawei and the Chinese Govt, and then there's the ongoing trade dispute still taking place.

5G is still in its infancy in terms of adoption, and there's still plenty to happen.
    You sure about that?  Any of it?   Or is based on the same kind of so called "evidence" (which most of the world calls "delusion") Trump used to accuse Huawei of spying on Americans ?
  • Reply 13 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ciprol said:
    But then Apple is late to everything, right?
    razorpitStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 54
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    apple ][ said:

Don't take your local situation for the rest the world.  In some countries 5G has really taken off.  In these countries there will be a lot of 5G phones sold in the upcoming Christmas period.
    GeorgeBMacapplesnoranges
  • Reply 15 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Ciprol said:
    Can’t be late for a party that hasn’t started.GeorgeBMac said:
    Soli said:
    apple ][ said:
    That means they are already late.
    See above...GeorgeBMac said:
    apple ][ said:
    Ciprol said:

You sure about that?  Any of it?   Or is based on the same kind of so called "evidence" (which most of the world calls "delusion") Trump used to accuse Huawei of spying on Americans ?
    For the love of God, please seek help. TDS will destroy you if not treated.
    MplsPStrangeDaysanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 54
    cropr said:

Don't take your local situation for the rest the world.  In some countries 5G has really taken off.  In these countries there will be a lot of 5G phones sold in the upcoming Christmas period. 

This isn’t like moving from 3G to LTE. LTE speeds satisfy 99.9% of users needs, as it brings mobile internet more inline with home broadband. There is currently nothing available where 5G has real benefit for the vast majority of users.

Until there is function to satisfy the speeds, there is no purpose for 5G. Right now it’s little more than ‘just because we can’. 5G phones being sold are, at best, an investment in the future.
    edited November 2019 n2itivguyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 54
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    I just looked at a 5G map the other day. It’s coming, but coming slowly, and is far from the ‘mass rollouts’ that some people are claiming. Like @"apple ][" said, 5G is still in its infancy - both in terms of availability and in terms of hardware. Like any technology, the early hardware is suboptimal. Since even the most ardent supporters admit that true smartphone uses of 5G are yet to be developed, the time where 5G is actually important and relevant for most people is likely at least 3-5 years away. That makes a 2020 5G iPhone perfectly fine.

If you remember, when Apple and QC were embroiled in their lawsuits last year, people were forecasting doom and gloom because ‘5G is coming in 2019!’ and Apple was going to totally miss the market. Well, here we are a year later, 5G rollouts are creeping along with only token coverage in a handful of cities in the U.S. and the world is just find. 
    n2itivguyStrangeDaysanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 54
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    hydrogen said:
    Same here!

i wonder if we might see battery life regression next year. 

Also, I don’t live in a big city so it will likely be a while before 5G is relevant where I live. I see no reason to make any compromises for 5G when I am unlikely to benefit from it anytime soon

When apple can integrate their own 5G modem into their 5nm or maybe 3nm SOC, then I’ll be interested 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Ciprol said:
    Yeah no. It’s not late, it’s fine. Most people don’t care. 
    MplsPfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cropr said:
    apple ][ said:

What makes are so saturated with 5G coverage that it would've behooved Apple to have spent extra money, used additional space, and reduced battery life in order to come out with a 5G iPhone this year? I know of zero that are large enough that would make it a viable option for Apple's premiere worldwide device.
    edited November 2019 MplsPwatto_cobra