Apple releases iOS 13.2.2, iPadOS 13.2.2 with background app quit bug fix

Posted:
in iCloud
Apple has released iOS 13.2.2 and iPadOS 13.2.2 with fixes for apps quitting when run in the background, and other issues.

The update arrives a week and a half after the iOS 13.2 debut. The update can be applied to a user's device by entering the Settings app, selecting General, Software Update, and then selecting to install the update.

The update fixes an issue that could cause apps to quit unexpectedly when running in the background, resolves an issue where iPhone may temporarily lose cellular service after a call, addresses an issue where cellular data may temporarily not be available, fixes an issue that caused replies to S/MIME encrypted email messages between Exchange accounts to be unreadable, addresses an issue where using Kerberos single sign-on service in Safari may present an authentication prompt, and it resolves an issue where charging may be interrupted on YubiKey Lightning-powered accessories

If users have automatic updates available, this will simplify the process by preparing the update in the background, then notifying the user it is ready to install the operating system upgrade.

Apple used the 13.2.1 version to push an update for the HomePod, after iOS 13.2 was rendering some of the smart speakers inoperable.

For iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.2 introduced Deep Fusion, Apple's computational photography feature that uses the A13 Bionic Neural Engine to combine multiple images at various exposures into a single image with better texture, details, and reduced noise. The models also add the option to change the video resolution from within the Camera app, instead of doing so via Settings.

The option for users to opt in to a program to supply Apple with anonymized voice recordings of Siri requests in iOS 13.2 was welcomed by privacy advocates. Previously used to improve the accuracy of Siri and its verbal prompt detection, Apple pulled the previous version of the program following unfavorable reports, and promised to change it to an opt-in program where Apple would not retain audio recordings, and that only Apple employees would be allowed to listen to the samples.

There is also the option to delete the Siri and Dictation history from Siri settings.

Over 70new emoji were introduced in the iOS 13.2 update, including animals, food, activities, accessibility, gender-neutral characters, and skin tone selection for some symbols.

For the Home app, HomeKit Secure Video arrived with iOS 13.2, allowing users to privately capture, store, and view encrypted video from their home security cameras, as well as to detect people, animals, and vehicles in footage. HomeKit-enabled routers will also offer settings in the app so users can control which HomeKit accessories can communicate over the Internet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, just so we’re clear on this, if you are annoyed and pissed off that there are so many updates coming out, questioning Apple’s QA and such, ranting and raving about how bad iOS 13 is, etc., there’s a really simple solution. Don’t update, stay on the version you’re running and learn to deal with the bugs you have. By the way, this update takes less than 5 minutes to download.
    edited November 2019 jahblademacplusplusmagman1979lenny491MisterKitStrangeDayscaladanianTomEwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 25
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Would 13.3 Beta include these fixes?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Absolutely incredible how many fixes and updates with iOS 13. It really is a cursed number.
    razorpitchemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 25
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Absolutely incredible how many fixes and updates with iOS 13. It really is a cursed number.
    Umm, remember iOS 7 and 11???
    razorpitMisterKitcaladanianwatto_cobrauraharadysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Is the 13 update more frequent than the 12? It seems to be. And I am still having annoying bug with Catalina asking me to sign in iCloud despite having done all to stop it. Software QA has definitely gotten worse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    netrox said:
    Is the 13 update more frequent than the 12? It seems to be. And I am still having annoying bug with Catalina asking me to sign in iCloud despite having done all to stop it. Software QA has definitely gotten worse.
    They should’ve skipped this one and gone straight to iOS 14.
    razorpitMisterKitdysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 25
    netrox said:
    Had the same problem until the last Catalina update.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    I am just gonna sit back and see if the "Automatic Update" will do it's job with this one... and pray my HomeKit Settings aren't destroyed when I wake up LOL...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    netrox said:
    Simplistic conclusion. Worse than what? if we're making comparisons to "the good ole days" of System X, it does without saying that modern OS X / macOS is far, far more complex than those days. However I remember those days and we thought there were plenty of bugs then, too. If there are many more features and many more complex issues and many more users and use cases, software QA could be just as effective, despite an increase in issues.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 10 of 25
    It sounds like iOS and iPad OS are still very much the same code base.

Different in name only.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 25
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, just so we’re clear on this, if you are annoyed and pissed off that there are so many updates coming out, questioning Apple’s QA and such, ranting and raving about how bad iOS 13 is, etc., there’s a really simple solution. Don’t update, stay on the version you’re running and learn to deal with the bugs you have. By the way, this update takes less than 5 minutes to download.
    What an odd thing to say. Basically, yes this is very Microsoft like but if you don’t like the fact that Apple couldn’t meet their deadlines it is your fault not theirs. So there! 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    netrox said:
    They should’ve skipped this one and gone straight to iOS 14.
    13 is my lucky number.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Why does  post include a photo showing 53,166 unopened emails?  Does anyone really have over 53,000 unopened emails?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I stayed in iOS 13.1.2 since I haven’t had any issue with the phone. I really think many times in updating iOS as it fixes some issues but brings new ones which some of them could be really annoying.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Why does  post include a photo showing 53,166 unopened emails?  Does anyone really have over 53,000 unopened emails?

I've actually met people who have no interest in checking their emails because of all the spam they get. They don't take the trouble of setting up filters or anything. You need to text them and tell them that you sent an email and then they'll look at that one email only.

That number, 53166, is not that unusual on said people's phones.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    kkqd1337 said:
    It sounds like iOS and iPad OS are still very much the same code base.

Different in name only.
    No one has claimed the code base is different, and it would be odd if it was. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I never understood why people complain about the updates. I spent a couple of years on Android and let me tell you, be thankful for swift updates. On Android if you wind up with some bugs it’ll take a while to get a fix and that’s if you get one. Only complain if the bugs aren’t getting fixed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

I've actually met people who have no interest in checking their emails because of all the spam they get. They don't take the trouble of setting up filters or anything. You need to text them and tell them that you sent an email and then they'll look at that one email only.

That number, 53166, is not that unusual on said people's phones.

I’m one of those people. Don’t have the time to constantly update filters.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The bugs / improvement requests feedback list are still there:  
    Photos app, Share Albums invitation, panoramic shooting with first frame saw-edging;
    Contacts with phone number unable to find, spotlight Search missing, Street field with more than 14 characters not copying, lack of functionality, no field level security;
    New iPhone cannot restore from iOS backup and there is no indication that Find My Phone is not turned off;
    Find My is still a reduced version of Find My Phone that you can't see other nearby people near the Find My person and you can't push to update their locations;
    Bluetooth still randomly connect to previously connected devices, or not able to connect without using Settings>Bluetooth;
    Multiple Apple IDs iCloud access on Reminders app becomes single Apple ID iCloud access;
    Books app is till single Apple ID iCloud access? Unable to consolidate / transfer purchases ownership etc.
    Another 20+ on my list.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 25
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, just so we're clear on this, your passive-aggressive tirade shows lack of self-control and clear thinking.
    dysamoria