Apple TV+ reportedly attracts 'millions' of users in first week as Apple renews four shows...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    My partner and I don't use Family Sharing, I wonder if she buys a new iPhone this year and gets a year, and I do the same next year, that we could get two full years of ATV+ now that you can have multiple users on the ATV?
    I don't know anything about how the multiple users work, since I haven't used that myself yet, but I do know that this is a time limited promotion that will come to an end, and Apple hasn't said anything about when it will end yet.

If I'm going to throw a wild guess out there, my guess would be until the end of this year, but who knows (Tim Cook knows). Could be shorter than that or longer.

Terms and conditions: • Offer is available for a limited time only. 
  • Reply 22 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

apple ][ said:
    entropys said:
    I just bought an MBP and an MBA, but I haven’t signed up to Apple TV plus yet. You only get one twelve month freebie, so I am waiting at least until December, maybe Christmas. You just know Apple will throw a tonne of new shows out in November 2020 to get people to continue with the service, but pay for it. 
    It isn’t the money, it’s that I don’t like being manipulated so I want to broaden my options.
    I got a new Apple TV 4k recently, so I activated the free 12 month trial right away, because I want to see what Apple TV is about right now, and not wait some months.

It's only 5 bucks a month and less than that too if somebody subscribes for a full year ($50), so in November 2020, I'll decide to either keep it or not, and the content will have drastically increased by that time I suppose.
    What are the odds you'll but some new Apple product within 12 months?  I know I will.  Apple TV + will always be 'free' to all typical Apple customers for that reason I suspect.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 53
    MacPro said:

apple ][ said:
    entropys said:
    I just bought an MBP and an MBA, but I haven’t signed up to Apple TV plus yet. You only get one twelve month freebie, so I am waiting at least until December, maybe Christmas. You just know Apple will throw a tonne of new shows out in November 2020 to get people to continue with the service, but pay for it. 
    It isn’t the money, it’s that I don’t like being manipulated so I want to broaden my options.
    I got a new Apple TV 4k recently, so I activated the free 12 month trial right away, because I want to see what Apple TV is about right now, and not wait some months.

It's only 5 bucks a month and less than that too if somebody subscribes for a full year ($50), so in November 2020, I'll decide to either keep it or not, and the content will have drastically increased by that time I suppose.
    What are the odds you'll but some new Apple product within 12 months?  I know I will.  Apple TV + will always be 'free' to all typical Apple customers for that reason I suspect.
    The odds are high that I'll be buying some Apple product within the next 12 months, but the odds are also high that the promotion will have expired by then, since it's a time limited offer.
    SpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Awful experience.  Bland shows. Terrible UX. There's no chance in hell I'm paying for that.
    ElCapitanchemengin1williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 53
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    apple ][ said:
    MacPro said:

apple ][ said:
    entropys said:

The odds are high that I'll be buying some Apple product within the next 12 months, but the odds are also high that the promotion will have expired by then, since it's a time limited offer.
    Yes, I don't think there's going to be perpetually free Apple TV+ as long as you buy a new device every year. I think it was a smart move to make it free for new device purchasers at launch, particularly since there is little content available at the moment. But most people won't complain too much about that since they aren't paying for it. However, I don't think the intention is for Apple TV+ to be a carrot driving device purchases, I think they expect to make a profit on it eventually with paid subscriptions. Obviously they hope many of the free subscribers will stick around to later pay, and many of them probably will, if they keep the content coming.
    llama
  • Reply 26 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Just watched Morning Show E1 — one of the main character’s nick name is “Two Fucks Bradley”. So much for all those G-rated rumors and criticisms of Cook editing scripts. 
    edited November 2019 fastasleepllamawilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 53
    dougd said:
    I'll never pay Apple for their TV 
    Dougd doesn’t like it!
    fastasleepJanNLlkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Awful experience.  Bland shows. Terrible UX. There's no chance in hell I'm paying for that.
    Nonsense. Seamless experience. Interesting shows. UX better than Netflix. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Yes, I don't think there's going to be perpetually free Apple TV+ as long as you buy a new device every year. I think it was a smart move to make it free for new device purchasers at launch, particularly since there is little content available at the moment. But most people won't complain too much about that since they aren't paying for it. However, I don't think the intention is for Apple TV+ to be a carrot driving device purchases, I think they expect to make a profit on it eventually with paid subscriptions. Obviously they hope many of the free subscribers will stick around to later pay, and many of them probably will, if they keep the content coming.
    I agree. It was a great idea for Apple to do this promotion now as a one time gesture towards certain device purchasers to celebrate the launch and since the content quantity is understandably low at the moment.

That however will change over time and Apple's pricing for the Apple TV+ service came in much lower than anybody expected, at $4.95 monthly.

Apple doesn't need any carrot to get people to buy its devices. They're not some lousy Android manufacturer.

Apple is spending billions on the TV service, and of course it should be profitable, and I think that there wont be a shortage of subscribers willing to pay for it, as they build up their catalog and keep adding new things. 
  • Reply 30 of 53
    kevin kee said:
    I’d definitely recommend a person who buys a new iPhone or iPad to sign up for the free trial period of one year, however the Apple TV app itself is not very good. This is especially true for anyone who likes to download their movies or shows to watch later with no Internet connection. The app absolutely sucks for this use case.
    Each episodes has a download button underneath for offline viewing.
    Yes, I know. Perhaps my point was not clear. AFTER downloading and taking the device off network, the Apple TV app performs terribly. Almost the entire UI disappears and after watching the downloaded movie or show the user is stuck in an inescapable mode, locked into the last screen.

Apple should look carefully at how both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video apps perform in different use cases. This stuff is not easy, but I’d expect big improvements from Apple on usability.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 31 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I’d definitely recommend a person who buys a new iPhone or iPad to sign up for the free trial period of one year, however the Apple TV app itself is not very good. This is especially true for anyone who likes to download their movies or shows to watch later with no Internet connection. The app absolutely sucks for this use case.

Um, what? Every SINGLE piece of content on AppleTV+ can be downloaded with a single tap, to be viewed completely offline. 

• Reply 32 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    lkrupp said:
    On the Apple discussions forums users are confused about what’s free and what’s not. Many seem to think ALL content within the TV app is supposed to be free. they are confusing the app with the streaming service. To be sure the TV+ content is intermixed with content from other services like Prime and Apple’s for rent/purchase movies and tv shows. You have to scroll down pretty far to get to the TV+ icon which then presents only TV+ content. So yes, it’s a mess right now.
    Because people are morons, and are intellectually lazy, refusing to take a few seconds to understand how something works. 

It's not that complicated. The Apple TV app simply aggregates content for all available sources, so you don't have to open each individual app for that service- just like Homekit, sharesheets, and a dozen other types of these services within iOS. The concept makes sense. Nobody wants to think about which app each piece of content is in. Within the Apple TV app, you have Apple TV+ content, which is obviously all free to subscribers. If one wants to ONLY see AppleTV+ content, it's not that hard to find that icon. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 53
    My last major Apple purchase was a few months ago, so I'll pay the $4/month for while.  I paid more than that for CBSWhateverItWasCalled and that was just to watch the Star Trek show.  If it were $10/month, I might think for a second before subscribing, but at the price Apple is charging isn't a no brainer.  Within a year the most common pattern in the US will be people with Netflix + Disney + Amazon Prime + Apple TV+.  The latter two will be effectively free for millions of people (who buy Prime for the free shipping and buy at least an iPhone for a family member once a year).
    edited November 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dougd said:
    I'll never pay Apple for their TV 
    Dougd doesn’t like it!
    Shocking!
    StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Almost the entire UI disappears and after watching the downloaded movie or show the user is stuck in an inescapable mode, locked into the last screen.
    If that's true then that's a complete and downright crap design. Who the F creates an app where the UI elements are stored online instead of within the app? This is so typical of Apple: expecting everyone has Internet access 24/7 24/365.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy said:
    Because people are morons, and are intellectually lazy, refusing to take a few seconds to understand how something works. 

It's not that complicated. The Apple TV app simply aggregates content for all available sources, so you don't have to open each individual app for that service- just like Homekit, sharesheets, and a dozen other types of these services within iOS. The concept makes sense. Nobody wants to think about which app each piece of content is in. Within the Apple TV app, you have Apple TV+ content, which is obviously all free to subscribers. If one wants to ONLY see AppleTV+ content, it's not that hard to find that icon. 
    They spent all that effort on commercials, promotional work for their latest service, yet don't put it front and center on the AppleTV? That's downright stupid; one would promote their latest and greatest in the AppleTV app, just like they do on their website.

If people need to scroll and look for it, you blew it.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 37 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    To my surprise the UX is actually worse than Netflix—which I’ve just unsubscribed from. Can Apple at least just give Apple TV+ content and service its own tab so they average user knows what the hell is going on. Lumping streaming shows in with pay-for shows is confusing and frustrating. There’s discussions about this on Apple discussion forums. Some users are unsure if they are subscribed or not. You don’t spend $6B on content and lump it in with other content in such a confusing manner.
    edited November 2019 SpamSandwichchemengin1philboogiewilliamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Feeling all better now?

StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Seamless experience? Well I guess that's one way of describing a UI that lacks any seams between the, rent, buy, free, "some other subscription service" content.  Even the "stream next" feature has failed for me a couple of times so far and accessing the next episode of an AppleTV series was not easy to figure out. The UX is not good at all IMO.  In fact you may be the only person here who thinks that it's simply marvelous. 

I still intend to remain a subscriber for now, but the app itself is horridly designed. I would think Apple will take notice of that and fix it soon, unless it's been done purposely to mask the limited programming that the TV+ subscription includes. If that's the reason it may stay this way for several months, but It does not make for a great user experience IMHO.
    edited November 2019 SpamSandwichchemengin1philboogie
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Well, I'm watching The Morning Show, See, and For All Mankind. As long as the quality of the shows stay good, Apple has my money. I'm really enjoying these shows. I was always disappointed with Netflix offerings. I am not subscribed to that anymore. Amazon Prime Video had some good shows, like Sneaky Pete, but I'm enjoying these Apple shows even more. Hey, if I notice a decline in the quality of the shows, I can just stop giving Apple my money for the next month. Waiting a week for new episodes is old school, but I'm okay with that. Gives me air to think about an episode, because that's what drama should be doing in the first place.
    edited November 2019