Disney+ to stream on Amazon's Fire TV at launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2019
Adding to an already impressive list of hardware launch partners, Disney's upcoming Disney+ streaming service will offer support for Amazon's Fire TV platform when it bows on Nov. 12.

Disney+

Disney CEO Bob Iger in an interview with CNBC on Thursday announced the partnership with Amazon, struck at the eleventh hour as the entertainment giant makes final preparations for next week's Disney+ debut.

"So, significant, significant progress in terms of distribution deals," Iger said.

A report from The Wall Street Journal on Thursday suggested Disney and Amazon were at odds over terms that would allow the streaming service on Fire TV, with Amazon reportedly pushing for rights to ad space in Disney apps. The two companies apparently hammered out a deal, though details of the arrangement have not been made public.

Disney+ is slated to launch on devices made by Apple, Google, Microsoft, Roku and Sony. That covers nearly the entire streaming market, save for major player Tizen and Nintendo.

Along with Apple's iOS, Disney+ will be offered on Android hardware, providing access to users of the world's two dominant smartphone platforms.

Disney+ offers subscribers a treasure trove of content from Disney and its vast holdings, which as of March includes 21st Century Fox. Along with new releases, users are granted access to a sweeping back catalog of content that contains classic films from the elusive "Disney Vault." Like other streaming services, Disney is also investing in original content and will debut series and specials that tap into owned brands Star Wars and the Marvel Universe.

The service launches Nov. 12 in the U.S. for a monthly fee of $6.99 or a discounted rate of $69.99 per year. Canada and the Netherlands will see access on launch day, with a rollout in Australia and New Zealand to follow a week later.

Disney in a tweet on Thursday announced an expansion into the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy and Spain on March 31, 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple TV+ is on a lot of different hardware too.

I have an Apple TV 3rd gen, an Apple TV 4K, a Roku Streaming stick and a Firestick 4k, and I have the Apple TV+ app on all of them.

I think that it's a good thing that Apple decided to bring their app to a lot of different hardware, and not just to Apple TVs and Apple devices. This opens up their service to a larger market.

I wonder if the Disney service will offer any free trial. I don't think I've read anything about that anywhere.

If they do, I'll probably check it out briefly, just to see how it is and how the streaming quality is. I'm not a huge fan of what Disney has done to certain franchises. I'm not crazy about Marvel movies, there are so many of them now, and I don't follow them at all, and I'm not a big fan of the later Star Wars Movies. 

I'll probably check out that new Star Wars series briefly to see if they messed that one up or not.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    apple ][ said:
    Apple TV+ is on a lot of different hardware too.

I have an Apple TV 3rd gen, an Apple TV 4K, a Roku Streaming stick and a Firestick 4k, and I have the Apple TV+ app on all of them.

I think that it's a good thing that Apple decided to bring their app to a lot of different hardware, and not just to Apple TVs and Apple devices. This opens up their service to a larger market.

Not exactly the same, but very much like offering iTunes for Windows PCs. Opened it up to a whole new market. 
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 3 of 8
    apple ][ said:

I wonder if the Disney service will offer any free trial. I don't think I've read anything about that anywhere.

If they do, I'll probably check it out briefly, just to see how it is and how the streaming quality is. I'm not a huge fan of what Disney has done to certain franchises.
    You get one week trial when you sign up BEFORE launch. I signed up today; it launches on 11/12 and I’m not going to be charged for the first month until the 19th. (Tried to upload a screenshot image to show you, but it failed repeatedly.) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    peterhart said:
    apple ][ said:

If they do, I'll probably check it out briefly, just to see how it is and how the streaming quality is. I'm not a huge fan of what Disney has done to certain franchises.
    You get one week trial when you sign up BEFORE launch. I signed up today; it launches on 11/12 and I’m not going to be charged for the first month until the 19th. (Tried to upload a screenshot image to show you, but it failed repeatedly.) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    peterhart said:
    (Tried to upload a screenshot image to show you, but it failed repeatedly.) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    I think Appleinsider has disabled the ability to upload images intentionally, I tried numerous  times today with no luck.
    peterhart
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I noticed there was no mention of the 100 launch day countries, regions for Apple TV+ vs. the 2 launch day countries, regions for Disney+. 

I know this may seem like a somewhat petty notice but... there is no doubt AppleInsider would point it out if Disney+ was launched in more countries than Apple TV+. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    peterhart said:
    apple ][ said:

Is the early sign up only in the US? I don't see any button or link to sign up in advance of the 12th on the Canadian website (and it always redirects to the Canadian website, so I can't change region and see the US version).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Apple TV+ should be on every TV just like the rest.
    edited November 2019