Apple TV+ reportedly attracts 'millions' of users in first week as Apple renews four shows...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    You can put lipstick on a pig, and it’s still a pig.  And that is what AppleTV+ is.  The TV app has always been a UI mess.  The only people that claim to like it are the fanboys on Apple pages.  Hypocrites too.  All the fanboys said Apple should buy Netflix so they’d have the best service.  Now they suddenly claim Netflix is awful.  No one is paying for it currently but Cook will run around stage like a monkey claiming how great it is.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 42 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    gatorguy said:
    Awful experience.  Bland shows. Terrible UX. There's no chance in hell I'm paying for that.
    Nonsense. Seamless experience. Interesting shows. UX better than Netflix. 
    Seamless experience? Well I guess that's one way of describing a UI that lacks any seams between the, rent, buy, free, "some other subscription service" content.  Even the "stream next" feature has failed for me a couple of times so far and accessing the next episode of an AppleTV series was not easy to figure out. The UX is not good at all IMO.  In fact you may be the only person here who thinks that it's simply marvelous. 

I still intend to remain a subscriber for now, but the app itself is horridly designed. I would think Apple will take notice of that and fix it soon, unless it's been done purposely to mask the limited programming that the TV+ subscription includes. If that's the reason it may stay this way for several months, but It does not make for a great user experience IMHO.
    Errrnt. I never said it was marvelous, I said the UX is better than Netflix, which I find awful. Typical straw man. I said the experience is seamless -- I have zero problems with the Up Next queue, from multiple sources/shows (Amazon, HBO, ATV+, etc). Funny how it's the typical Misery Choir who have so many problems, time and time again.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

ireland said:
    Awful experience.  Bland shows. Terrible UX. There's no chance in hell I'm paying for that.
    To my surprise the UX is actually worse than Netflix—which I’ve just unsubscribed from. Can Apple at least just give Apple TV+ content and service its own tab so they average user knows what the hell is going on. Lumping streaming shows in with pay-for shows is confusing and frustrating. There’s discussions about this on Apple discussion forums. Some users are unsure if they are subscribed or not. You don’t spend $6B on content and lump it in with other content in such a confusing manner.
    Like every other channel, you can absolutely go to the channel's own screen/tab. Here's a screenshot from my iPad's app (same thing is on ATV):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2kw7qmub9psy6u/IMG_3555.jpeg?dl=0

...you can click either of the big ATV+ icons, or simply swipe the shows.
    edited November 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    gatorguy said:
    Seamless experience? Well I guess that's one way of describing a UI that lacks any seams between the, rent, buy, free, "some other subscription service" content.  Even the "stream next" feature has failed for me a couple of times so far and accessing the next episode of an AppleTV series was not easy to figure out. The UX is not good at all IMO.  In fact you may be the only person here who thinks that it's simply marvelous. 

I still intend to remain a subscriber for now, but the app itself is horridly designed. I would think Apple will take notice of that and fix it soon, unless it's been done purposely to mask the limited programming that the TV+ subscription includes. If that's the reason it may stay this way for several months, but It does not make for a great user experience IMHO.
    Errrnt. I never said it was marvelous, I said the UX is better than Netflix, which I find awful.
    So you find the AppleTV+ app to be LESS awful. Well as one guys opinion that's certainly valid.

I prefer the Netflix UX and categorization. With that said there is so much content there, thousands of included bits of programming, TV shows and movies for no additional fees, surfacing some of it can be daunting. I find myself looking at "Best of Netflix" and "What's coming and going from Netflix this month" articles on the web to find some of the better content that Netflix may not promote.
    edited November 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 45 of 53
    The TV app is a cluster—k.  But I only use it to watch TV+ shows. If I want to watch something on HBO or Showtime I just use their apps. 
    ElCapitanchemengin1williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 53
    I too signed up for the free year (I bought a iPhone 11 Pro), but what I read today is "you can watch Apple TV+ on the new device you bought from Apple"...Wait ..what?? I will only give Apple TV+ a chance on my TV not a phone or tablet....WTF??
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 47 of 53
    I too signed up for the free year (I bought a iPhone 11 Pro), but what I read today is "you can watch Apple TV+ on the new device you bought from Apple"...Wait ..what?? I will only give Apple TV+ a chance on my TV not a phone or tablet....WTF??
    You can watch on all of your Apple devices that are  linked to the same appleid

You can also hand-off between them just as you could with iTunes 

edited November 2019 StrangeDaysSpamSandwichfastasleep
  • Reply 48 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Where did you read that? Do you not have another device so you can see that your information is wrong?
    StrangeDaysphilboogieasdasd
  • Reply 49 of 53
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Count me in. I was skeptical, but the show quality has been decent. The video stream quality is stellar, even topping Netflix.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Count me in. I was skeptical, but the show quality has been decent. The video stream quality is stellar, even topping Netflix.
    Count me in too. Not having purchased a qualifying device since 9/10/19 I opted in for the yearly subscription for $49.99 which is an even better deal than the $4.99 monthly rate at about $4.00/mo. I read that we are supposed to be able to share the service with up to six family members through Family Sharing but I’m not sure how that works yet.
    tmay
  • Reply 51 of 53
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    apple ][ said:
    I agree that the app itself is not good and needs to be reworked.

Everything is all bundled together and it's extremely messy.

You have no idea what belongs to what.

I subscribe to various streaming services and I also have cable and they're all tied into the Apple TV account.

When I click on a movie or series in the app, I don't want to see that I have to pay $3.99 to rent it or whatever. Why are they even showing that to me?

I should be glad and happy when using an app, not frustrated.

I am only interested in watching things that I already subscribe and pay for. I don't need or want suggestions or to be shown anything that I do not currently have access to.

I've only watched one series so far from Apple, but I am looking forward to watching more, possibly this weekend. The streaming quality of the content is great. Opinions on the content itself will of course vary, depending on who's watching, but if you ask me, Apple TV+ is off to a great start.

I have hope that Apple will rework the app, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Haven't tried the new app but THIS has been my biggest complaint since the app launched. It's beyond stupid and different from what they promised years ago.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    apple ][ said:
    MacPro said:

apple ][ said:
    entropys said:
    I just bought an MBP and an MBA, but I haven’t signed up to Apple TV plus yet. You only get one twelve month freebie, so I am waiting at least until December, maybe Christmas. You just know Apple will throw a tonne of new shows out in November 2020 to get people to continue with the service, but pay for it. 
    It isn’t the money, it’s that I don’t like being manipulated so I want to broaden my options.
    I got a new Apple TV 4k recently, so I activated the free 12 month trial right away, because I want to see what Apple TV is about right now, and not wait some months.

It's only 5 bucks a month and less than that too if somebody subscribes for a full year ($50), so in November 2020, I'll decide to either keep it or not, and the content will have drastically increased by that time I suppose.
    What are the odds you'll but some new Apple product within 12 months?  I know I will.  Apple TV + will always be 'free' to all typical Apple customers for that reason I suspect.
    The odds are high that I'll be buying some Apple product within the next 12 months, but the odds are also high that the promotion will have expired by then, since it's a time limited offer.
    I don't see the odds being high or low that Apple will not continue to offer the service free for purchasers of new product. Apple can use this the same way it used to use software like iWorks. It was a free add on for people who purchased Apple products. Others had to pay. 

It is kind of like an added on bonus that makes your Apple purchase seem more valuable while not costing Apple that much in comparison to its overall sales.