Mac Pro spotted in DJ Calvin Harris' studio ahead of launch

Posted:
in General Discussion
While we still don't have any hard dates on the release of the Mac Pro, there has been one spotted in the wild -- at the studio of DJ and producer Calvin Harris.

On November 9, Scottish DJ Calvin Harris showed off his studio in an Instagram story. The video featured some of Harris' music, alongside shots of various things in his studio. While the video is intentionally shot erratically, at several points it is possible to see a Mac Pro sitting on the floor.

Harris is known for collaborating with artists such as Rihanna, Frank Ocean, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, and Snoop Dogg, as well as a prolific career as a solo artist.

Apple has announced that the Mac Pro will release "this fall," with many speculating about what the release window may be. The Mac Pro already has FCC approval, and that generally means preorders will start fairly quickly. That doesn't mean anything about shipments, unfortunately.

Apple debuted the Mac Pro on June 3. In the new Mac Pro, Apple is using a new Intel Xeon processor with up to 28 cores and 64 PCI Express lanes. The Mac Pro uses six memory channels, with 2933 MHz ECC RAM, in 12 slots, with up to 1.5 TB of system memory.

PCI-E has been restored to the system, with eight PCI-E slots. Four double-wide slots are available, with three single-wide ports. Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, and two USB-A ports occupy the eighth slot. Two more Thunderbolt 3 slots are on the top of the enclosure.

Two of the PCI-E slots are MPX modules. Each MPX-compatible bay can support one full-length, double-wide x16 gen 3 slot and one full-length, double-wide x8 gen 3 slot in MPX bay 1, or two full-length, double-wide x16 gen 3 slots.

Up to 4TB of SSD storage can be installed at the time of purchase. Post-purchase options aren't clear at present. All storage is encrypted with Apple's T2 chip.

Networking is provided by a pair of 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Bluetooth 5.0 is also available.

The enclosure is 20.8 inches tall without wheels. It is 17.7 inches deep, and 8.58 inches wide. For comparison, the 5,1 Mac Pro was 20.1 inches tall, 8.1 inches wide, and 18.7 inches deep.

Other processor options are a 12-core 3.3 GHz Xeon with a 31.25MB cache, a 16-core 3.2GHz Xeon with 38MB cache, a 24-core with 57MB cache, and a 28-core 2.5Ghz Xeon. The eight-core Turbo Boost frequency is 4.0GHz, with the remaining options having a 4.4GHz boost speed.

Mac Pro models with an eight-core Xeon, 32GB of RAM, and the Radeon Pro 580X will start at $5999, and will be available at some point this fall. There will be a version optimized for rack deployment, also available in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I'm surprised it doesn't come with the new WiFi 6.
    caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    ernestu said:
    I doubt any professional buying this is doing things off wireless. Wireless is still too unreliable. We're lucky it even comes with wireless to be honest. 
    edited November 2019 baconstangStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    macxpress said:
    ernestu said:
    I doubt any professional buying this is doing things off wireless. Wireless is still too unreliable. We're lucky it even comes with wireless to be honest. 
    They probably put it in there for Apple Watch users since it requires WiFi for certain things.  
    caladanianprismaticswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 33
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    sflocal said:
    macxpress said:
    ernestu said:
    They probably put it in there for Apple Watch users since it requires WiFi for certain things.  

Any wireless connection between a Mac and an Apple Watch would be Bluetooth (direct device-to-device), not over the Wifi network (Mac-to-router-to-Watch). If that Wifi connection is required on the Watch side for something, it still doesn't matter how the Mac connects to the router... wireless or wired.

edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    It takes a $30,000 Mac Pro to make electronic music? Kind of a waste of hardware. This is a workstation for extremely complex video editing, bitcoin processing, and extremely complex mathematical formulas. 
  • Reply 6 of 33
    tyler82 said:
    It takes a $30,000 Mac Pro to make electronic music? Kind of a waste of hardware. This is a workstation for extremely complex video editing, bitcoin processing, and extremely complex mathematical formulas. 
    That's a pretty ignorant statement.  Audio production can be rather complex and computing intensive.  When time is money, $30,000 in a Mac Pro investment might result in time saved and more revenue.
    dysamoriaStrangeDaysPickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    tyler82 said:
    Depends on the music and production methodology. Genres mean nothing. If an artist likes to layer sounds, and do sound design, they can end up using a LOT of tracks and a LOT of plugins per track in a song.

Why can’t I double-tap to select words anymore???
    netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    tyler82 said:
    Guess you didn’t see the Apple video where they featured a music producer mixing hundreds of tracks on the new MP. 
    PickUrPoisonfastasleeproundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    tyler82 said:
    Definitely not for bitcoin processing. btw I think it’s closer to $6k not $30k. 
    oseamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Maybe that's not a real Mac Pro. There is a PC case that looks exactly like the Mac Pro case and that could be one of them. As for the Apple logo, it could just be a stick-on logo. We won't know for sure until we see the inside of it.

I'm just joking. The knock-off version has a power switch and USB ports where the release mechanism is on the top of the Mac Pro. Anyway, I can hardly wait to see how powerful the new Mac Pro is in the wild. It's way beyond any computer I would ever need but it's still kind of cool. I hope it gets really good reviews as there are so many Apple Mac haters out there. This Mac Pro might prove Apple still has the chops to build a balls-to-the-wall pro computer. Fingers crossed.
    edited November 2019 thedarkhalfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    tyler82 said:
    Audio production is basically extremely complex mathematical formulas.

When somebody is working with audio and music production and running hundreds of tracks and hundreds of CPU heavy plug ins, that takes power.

And Bit Coin mining is not done on regular PC hardware anymore, they use ASIC miners, specialized machines.
    edited November 2019 oseameSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    macxpress said:
    ernestu said:
    This is a feckless comment. The fact is it has integrated WiFi for all but WiFi 6 and it is an oversight. There are many reasons to have this set up and moving forward you will see integrated WiFi 6 for Audio Interfaces, Dante Interfaces, etc. There are all sorts of studio recording tech that could remove the wired trail of hundreds of feet in cabling by this feature alone. The IoT will most certainly need WiFi 6 in dense environments.

Perhaps you should tell Cisco they're morons.

• Reply 13 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:
    ernestu said:
    This is a feckless comment. The fact is it has integrated WiFi for all but WiFi 6 and it is an oversight. There are many reasons to have this set up and moving forward you will see integrated WiFi 6 for Audio Interfaces, Dante Interfaces, etc. There are all sorts of studio recording tech that could remove the wired trail of hundreds of feet in cabling by this feature alone. The IoT will most certainly need WiFi 6 in dense environments.

Good luck with that happening and it's not just studios using these. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 33
    That guy has a nice synth collection.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    That guy has a nice synth collection:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    macxpress said:
    ernestu said:

Wired ethernet, especially 10Gb Ethernet, will always be far superior to WiFi.  Perhaps you are the fool for thinking WiFi is the way to go in this type of environment.
    watto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 17 of 33
    macxpress said:
    ernestu said:

Wired ethernet, especially 10Gb Ethernet, will always be far superior to WiFi.  Perhaps you are the fool for thinking WiFi is the way to go in this type of environment.
    I don't want to even comment, but I am going to add something to what you are trying to say I HOPE (I get you):

Wired ethernet, especially 10Gb Ethernet, will always be far superior to WiFi (when concerning throughput).

Because a blank statement saying "CABLES ... will ALWAYS be far superior to WiFi". IS A FLAT LIE.  "far superior"

You wanna tell this to your iPhone? how about your MacBook Pro?  WiFi, has just as many uses.  I would just ball park at 50/50 in use cases for the two, wired vs wireless, neither is more superior to the other in my book.

But like I said, because I speak like you do maybe, in STATEMENTS with Understood phrases left out, i.e. the Obvious...

Laters... and Peace!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    macxpress said:
    ernestu said:

I don't want to even comment, but I am going to add something to what you are trying to say I HOPE (I get you):

Wired ethernet, especially 10Gb Ethernet, will always be far superior to WiFi (when concerning throughput).

Because a blank statement saying "CABLES ... will ALWAYS be far superior to WiFi". IS A FLAT LIE.  "far superior"

You wanna tell this to your iPhone? how about your MacBook Pro?  WiFi, has just as many uses.  I would just ball park at 50/50 in use cases for the two, wired vs wireless, neither is more superior to the other in my book.

But like I said, because I speak like you do maybe, in STATEMENTS with Understood phrases left out, i.e. the Obvious...

Laters... and Peace!
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Keep in mind the augmented reality feature on Apple’s very own website where you can see how a new Mac Pro would look in your environment by using your iPhone and just placing it on any desk. Take your own pictures and videos composite as you will. Be one of the first! LOL 
    not saying Mr. Harris doesn’t actually have one. Just saying anyone can make it look as if you do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    tyler82 said:
    As a number of others have pointed out, you have no idea what you're talking about. Jacob Collier has most of his tracks as three separate files (orchestral studio session, personal vocal sessions, personal instrumental sessions) because his current mac can't cope with it. Even the new Mac Pro will be pushed. Just watch the first 3 minutes. 128 Gb of RAM, he's got a session loaded with "only" 358 tracks, and the first thing that happens when he presses play is the thing falls over. Audio work is very processor and RAM intensive. 

edited November 2019 fastasleepPezawatto_cobra