Review: iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max one month later

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2021
Apple's iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max were released just over a month ago. Here's what all three of Apple's newest iPhones are really like after intensive, daily, real-world use.

iPhone 11 Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 11 Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max

If you go by the specifications, or by what Apple championed at the launch of the new iPhones, you'll know one of the biggest internal changes to the new phones is meant to be their performance. Running on the A13 Bionic, it is true that on paper there are serious performance gains from the iPhone XS line of 2018 to the 2019 iPhone 11 line. All three of the new phones come with the A13 Bionic and so have the same level of performance.

For now, however, the benefits are largely unnoticeable. The iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max never really felt slow, so after spending a month with the new iPhones, we truly did not see much of a difference in our day-to-day use.

We were, though, working with the beta of iOS 13 on our iPhone XS Max so we were used to the features, and the speed, of that operating system. So our perception is that the move to the 11 line wasn't that big a jump in performance but you may notice more depending on which phone or iOS you're coming from.

It would have been great to visibly see tremendous performance improvements, but we're not disappointed that we haven't. The performance of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max is very good right now -- and we will see the differences later.

That's because Apple designs iPhones to have long lifespans. What is shipping now with an A13 Bionic processor isn't supposed to be an overnight improvement on the last model. Instead, it's meant to be an improvement that we feel several years down the line when features and apps get more power-intensive and exploit the A13 Bionic more.

If we can't say that the new 2019 iPhones are dramatically faster than the 2018 ones, we can certainly say that they are going to last longer as viable, up to date phones because of this new internal improvement.

The display and Haptic Touch

All of the 2019 iPhones have dropped support for 3D Touch in favor of Haptic Touch. We talked about this a while ago, but as heavy users of the old feature, the change is still on our mind.

If you had an iPhone XR then you already know what Haptic Touch feels like, but for those coming from an iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max, it's gong to feel limited in comparison. It causes us plenty of frustration each day but we know that we must get used to it as it won't be going back.

It's true, though, that if everyone had loved and used 3D Touch, we might still have it. So, again, you may not feel the omission quite as strongly as we do.

Haptic Touch replaces 3D Touch on the new iPhonesAll
Haptic Touch replaces 3D Touch on the new iPhones

We were much more pleased with the new Super Retina XDR OLED displays found on the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max though.

They looked absolutely great and as we watched movies -- and Apple TV+ -- we saw a big improvement on HDR or Dolby Vision content. It is bright, vivid, and at times amazingly bright. For movie and TV lovers, this is huge.

Watching John Wick in Dolby Vision on an iPhone 11 Pro
Watching John Wick in Dolby Vision on an iPhone 11 Pro

Outside of watching movies and TV, though, we otherwise didn't notice too much of a difference in the display. It felt and looked just like it did on the iPhone X, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max.

The cameras

We seem to have spent the month qualifying our first impressions. The OLED displays are great, but only when you're watching video. The performance improvement is true, but not noticeable in regular use.

Where we were blown away -- and, crucially, continue to be -- was with the cameras. These new shooters were better than we expected, and we have not become inured to them with use.

An example of an ultra-wide shot on the iPhone 11 Pro
An example of an ultra-wide shot on the iPhone 11 Pro

First, that ultra-wide lens. Intellectually, we understood what it could do as soon as Apple announced it, but that's just not the same thing as having it in your hands and using it every day.

The ultra-wide lens is incredibly useful, far more than we had expected. That is greatly to do with how well the lens works, but Apple also nailed it with how they implemented using the feature in iOS 13's Camera app. That app gives you the ability to see what was going on outside the frame when shooting with the standard wide lens.

Consequently, we'd be going to take a picture, see the Camera app's display of what's outside the frame, and realise that the wider view was what we needed for this particular epic shot like the one above.

You won't use ultra-wide for every photo you take. These shots of ours are well stylized and simply aren't right for every situation, but enough to be regularly used by us since getting the new phones.

An example of a night mode shot from the iPhone 11 Pro
An example of a night mode shot from the iPhone 11 Pro

Night mode was also handy, and again there is a huge difference between being told what it does and getting to see it in action yourself.

We'd take pictures in low-light situations expecting a certain outcome based on our previous iPhone usage. But we'd notice the iPhone 11 taking a few moments to capture and we'd see the night mode icon. When checking the image, it would be sharp, bright, and a departure from our old iPhone XS Max.

The shots are genuinely good and quite impressive. The above shot was taken with just a small amount of hallway light and yet the dogs -- even the black one -- came out with a lot of detail. More images have been hitting our camera roll since the addition of night mode.

We just have to train ourselves to try to get shots that we used to assume wouldn't be possible.

A month in

Upgrading to a new iPhone is not a casual decision, not when they are expensive devices to buy. Nonetheless, we haven't had one second where we regretted or even questioned updating to the iPhone 11 line.

That could have been true solely for the big elements like the ultra-wide lens and the Night Mode, because those were what we noticed and kept on noticing over and over again during the past month. Yet we did also appreciate many other small details.

Placing the phone on a wireless charger is faster, for instance, which means we don't have to stare at the plate for a few seconds to ensure it's working.

Then the 3D audio is impressive-sounding when using iPhone's speakers. And the feel of the matte backs on the Pro and Pro Max feels and looks much better than the glossy ones of before.

Apple says that the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max are the best iPhones yet. A month in, we don't disagree at all.

Pros:
Super Retina XDR display (on iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max) is superb for watching video
The ultra-wide lens is not a gimmick or an occasionally useful extra, it's a boon to photography
Night Mode works tremendously and changes when we can take photos

Cons:
While the performance specifications are better, we don't see the difference in regular use yet. That's going to take some time but they do mean that these iPhones will last longer than last year's.

Score: 4.5 out of 5

How to save on Apple's iPhone 11

iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max

Wireless carriers are offering a variety of incentives, from trade-in bonuses to deals when you switch providers. Here's a sampling of the current iPhone 11 promotions:

iPhone 11 deals

• eBay: iPhone 11 devices starting at $669.
  • AT&T Wireless: Get up to $700 in bill credits with trade-in on a qualifying smartphone. Port-in and new line required. $500 in bill credits when you add a line without a port-in. Unlimited plan required.
  • Verizon Wireless: Switch to Verizon Wireless and get up to $700 with trade on Unlimited plan, plus free Echo Dot and Amazon Smart Plug.
  • Sprint: Lease the new iPhone 11 for just $11 per month. Or Lease an iPhone 11, 11 Pro or 11 Pro Max and get a second iPhone 11 on Sprint via bill credits. See site for T&C.
  • T-Mobile: Get $580 off Apple's iPhone 11 when you switch and trade in an eligible iPhone.
  • Walmart: Save up to $100 on the iPhone 11. Offer valid only on purchase with installment plan.
  • Visible: Get up to a $200 Prepaid Mastercard Virtual Account when you buy an iPhone 11 and bring your phone number to Visible. Plus get 0% financing, no money down, no upgrade fees, and free overnight shipping for well-qualified customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    A couple of thoughts:
    It's true, though, that if everyone had loved and used 3D Touch, we might still have it. So, again, you may not feel the omission quite as strongly as we do.
    Coming from our old phones we haven’t had either so whatever they have will be an improvement.
    We were much more pleased with the new Super Retina XDR OLED displays found on the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max though. They looked absolutely great and as we watched movies ... Outside of watching movies and TV, though, we otherwise didn't notice too much of a difference in the display.
    Well, I don’t watch movies on my phone. I have an iPad and a big TV for that. This confirms that, for what I use a phone for, the display in the 11 will not be a sacrifice.

Regarding the cameras, I did notice that you never mentioned the tele lens in the pro model. You expounded on how useful the ultra wide lens was, and dark mode, and other features, but not the tele. This also confirms to me that the straight 11 is the one for me.

Excuse me I got some shopping to do.
    edited November 2019 pscooter63muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I won't get this phone just because of the absence of 3D Touch. It's RIDICULOUS that this went away. Granted I'm just kicking the can down the road because it's probably not coming back but I'll wait it out.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I got an 11 Pro more than a month ago (October 6), a day before a 3-week trip to Japan. I took it as my only camera, so it was quite a leap of faith. (I had my previous trusty iPhone 8 as a backup, with couple of clip on lenses; never had to use it). I am quite happy overall. I love the ultra wide camera, but I wish it would shoot RAW (I use Lightroom and Halide apps for that, a lot). Also, the photos and videos taken with it are visibly grainier, but it's not critical. With video, the quality drop is most noticeable when zooming in or out, the lens switch itself is super smooth, colors and exposure stay spot on, but suddenly the grain decreases or increases). I also wanted the tele camera (lot's of interesting food and details to shoot) so the regular 11 was not an option. Night mode works very well, I took quite a few stunning night shots of temples and architecture and they came out printable at 11x14 (an example below: in person I could not see most of the details in the roof and the sky was pitch black). Battery life is OK in regular use, but for tourism traveling (constant camera use, Google maps and translator on all the time) I would often run out around 6 p.m. (starting the day around 9 a.m.), so I am eagerly awaiting the Apple battery case for my next trip (have one for the model 8, works great). In the meantime, an Anker fast charging powerbank does a good job, charges to 80% very quickly. The 11 Pro is noticeably faster than the model 8 when processing photos and videos, which is great since I like to do some quick edits for sharing during downtimes (trains, planes and automobiles). It also seems to overheat less than the model 8 when processing HDR RAW and long exposures in the Lightroom app.

I actually had to stand in line in front of the 5th Avenue store for about 30 minutes and another 20 inside when buying the phone. It was the only shop that had the model I wanted in stock (256 GB Pro) and only in black (I wanted silver). It made me feel silly, but I really needed it on that day before the trip and it was a sign of a good demand (and nostalgically harking back to iPhones heyday and overnight lines, but without too much suffering :). When I bought the new model 8 two years ago, there was of course zero waiting. I also got a new Meyer Lemon (yellow) leather case from Apple. I don't even consider 3rd party accessories for such expensive hardware. So far it's holding up very well (traveling around with a bright yellow case sounds like quick tarnish, but so far it's spotless). Leather is much better than silicone I used before (too much friction in and out of pockets) and clear cases (too slippery, my partner has one on the regular 11 and it feels very high quality, but very slippery).

dewmeavon b7StrangeDayschasmkevin keewillcropointCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    DAalseth said:
    A couple of thoughts:
    Coming from our old phones we haven’t had either so whatever they have will be an improvement.
    We were much more pleased with the new Super Retina XDR OLED displays found on the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max though. They looked absolutely great and as we watched movies ... Outside of watching movies and TV, though, we otherwise didn't notice too much of a difference in the display.
    Well, I don’t watch movies on my phone. I have an iPad and a big TV for that. This confirms that, for what I use a phone for, the display in the 11 will not be a sacrifice.

Regarding the cameras, I did notice that you never mentioned the tele lens in the pro model. You expounded on how useful the ultra wide lens was, and dark mode, and other features, but not the tele. This also confirms to me that the straight 11 is the one for me.

The 2x lens is insanely useful; as owner of (and sole content producer for) a weekly newspaper, it's probably the lens I use most. Howbeit, it was likely not mentioned in the article because the feature is basically the same as what was used in the X and XS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    DAalseth said:
    A couple of thoughts:

The 2x lens is insanely useful; as owner of (and sole content producer for) a weekly newspaper, it's probably the lens I use most. Howbeit, it was likely not mentioned in the article because the feature is basically the same as what was used in the X and XS.
    I could see that, but for me it’s not worth the several hundred dollar premium. I shoot a lot of landscapes and seascapes.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
     it's meant to be an improvement that we feel several years down the line when features and apps get more power-intensive and exploit the A13 Bionic more. ” absolutely nonsense!  In a few years for all generations of iPhones, they have been, and will be slowed down and planned obsolete. Which iPhone model can survive and maintain good performance after 3 years? Name one please.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I'd love it if you would comment on the iPhone 11 screen scratching so easily. This seems to be a widespread problem that Apple is not yet responding to.
    markrarn
  • Reply 8 of 23
    There is a problem with this glass, it scratches way to easy...Apple needs to address this issue as well as major publications need to draw more attention to the screen problems...
  • Reply 9 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    koyunbaba said:
    I'd love it if you would comment on the iPhone 11 screen scratching so easily. This seems to be a widespread problem that Apple is not yet responding to.
    A simple google search shows the same complaint with every iPhone release for years  it seems. So I am not sure what comment you are looking from AI ?   

iPhone 6

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7929221

iPhone 8

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-8-plus-screen-scratches.2073864/

I personally have someone at Apple store install a no glare Belkin screen film on all of our phones out of the box. I can’t stand fingerprints and smudges and all of my screens are pristine when it’s time to sell the phone the next year.  
    edited November 2019 StrangeDaystmayCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    ivanh said:
    “ it's meant to be an improvement that we feel several years down the line when features and apps get more power-intensive and exploit the A13 Bionic more. ” absolutely nonsense!  In a few years for all generations of iPhones, they have been, and will be slowed down and planned obsolete. Which iPhone model can survive and maintain good performance after 3 years? Name one please.
    My wife’s 6 still is performing well enough for her needs. We replaced the battery last year to keep it going. It’s about five years old now.  If it weren’t starting to act weird, home button getting balky, butt dialling people even when its on the table, she would likely keep it. My SE is three and a half years old and still works fine. I want to update for the new camera, and because these old eyes would appreciate the larger screen. 

The tired old trope about Apple deliberately slowing older machines, and forcing planned obsolescence flies in the face of reality. Few companies do more to keep old hardware running longer than Apple.
    king editor the grateStrangeDaysp-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    rwx9901 said:
    I won't get this phone just because of the absence of 3D Touch. It's RIDICULOUS that this went away. Granted I'm just kicking the can down the road because it's probably not coming back but I'll wait it out.
    You're going to have a long wait, I think.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23

ivanh said:
    “ it's meant to be an improvement that we feel several years down the line when features and apps get more power-intensive and exploit the A13 Bionic more. ” absolutely nonsense!  In a few years for all generations of iPhones, they have been, and will be slowed down and planned obsolete. Which iPhone model can survive and maintain good performance after 3 years? Name one please.
    You are still delusional, I see. No, there is not planned obsolescence. They slow down because the OS adds more interesting things to do, because we as consumers want them to do more. The battery issue where you first showed up after was also not planned obsolescence, as it was actually *extending* the useful lifespan of an older device by preventing shutdowns when a depleted battery was unable to provide the needed current. 

iPhones have the longest useful lifespan in the business, for good reason. Last year my friend decided he didn't need all the latest bells & whistles and bought himself a brand new iPhone 7. I just sold my two-year-old X for $400 (to Apple, no less).
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23

koyunbaba said:
    News to me. Mine's fine, not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 39unconfirmed, member
    I'm still unsure about these phones. I think I'll wait for the 2 month review
  • Reply 15 of 23
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    koyunbaba said:
    Same exact test results as the previous model. It isn't a widespread problem, rather a technical limitation of current materials, and reported every iPhone release.

Get a screen protector if you are worried.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    ivanh said:
     it's meant to be an improvement that we feel several years down the line when features and apps get more power-intensive and exploit the A13 Bionic more. ” absolutely nonsense!  In a few years for all generations of iPhones, they have been, and will be slowed down and planned obsolete. Which iPhone model can survive and maintain good performance after 3 years? Name one please.
    My iPhone 6S (free battery replacement at the four-year mark) is still running just fine with its new owner (on the latest OS version, I might add, and the owner says it is running faster now than his former broken 6S). My work iPhone 8 is still running just fine after three years (and noticeably but not hugely faster on iOS 13). My current iPhone XR is only a year old.

Sit down and shut up, troll.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23

I can attest to 2 of the things on the review:

1. I miss 3D Touch as well. Haptic Touch is more of a struggle. It's taking me a while to get used to it.

2. The cameras and screen are par excellence. We had a kids party over the weekend and pics were being taken on the iPhone X and the iPhone XS. But the moment I pulled out my 11 Pro Max, there was actually an audible gasp because just looking at the screen to frame a shot is so delightful. The 0.5x lens managed to capture all the kids in front of the cake, along with all the adults taking pics of the kids in front of the cake!

The jump from the iPhone XS Max to the iPhone 11 Pro Max is much more pronounced than the jump from the iPhone X to the iPhone XS Max. At least, for me.

I'm also very happy Apple put out a clear case for the 11 Pros!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    NatkoNatko Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    Unfortunately they also downgraded the 3D Touch functionality in iOS 13. Hopefully some folks in the US are preparing class action lawsuit, if nothing else to push Apple to restore it fully on a compatible hardware.😕
  • Reply 19 of 23
    markrarn said:
    There is a problem with this glass, it scratches way to easy...Apple needs to address this issue as well as major publications need to draw more attention to the screen problems...
    Shatter resistant or scratch prone: pick one. Me? I'd rather have my phone scratch than have it shatter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Hey ... maybe I missed it but you forgot about Apple's all day sucker ... I mean the improved battery life in the 11s (especially the Pro Max).
    watto_cobra