Disney+ has officially launched, here's how to sign up for the service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2019
Disney+ has launched, bringing Disney's nearly century-long catalog of content to subscribers of the service. Here's where you can sign up, as well as what you can expect.

Disney Plus

Disney+ is Disney's in-house streaming service, which gives consumers access to the media conglomerate's vast catalogue of video content. At launch, Disney+ will feature Disney's entire movie library, excluding controversial ones like "Song of the South", but including classic films that are often out of circulation. There will also be selected Disney-made series available as well, such as "Boy Meets World" and "Even Stevens."

Alongside Disney's catalog will be entirely new offerings. Disney+ will launch with 25 original series and ten new films its first year, with many more planned for future release.

The service first launches in the US, Canada, and the Netherlands, on November 12. On November 19, Australia and New Zealand will be able to sign up for the service. Disney+ will launch on March 31, 2020 in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and more.

Disney is offering a few different plans for the service. Users can pay $6.99 per month if they'd prefer to have a monthly subscription, or an upfront fee of $69.99 for a full 12-month subscription. Those who are interested in the service can sign up here and will receive a 7 day free trial.

Users also will have the option to bundle Hulu and ESPN+, which will bring their total subscription fee to $12.99 a month.

Disney+ will be available to stream from your favorite web browser, as well as iOS, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Android, Android TV, PlayStation 4, Sony TV, Roku, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV, plus Samsung and LG devices.

It was revealed at the D23 Expo this year that subscribers will be able to stream to a total of four devices simultaneously at a maximum resolution of 4K. Additionally, users will be able to set up a maximum of seven individual profiles, making it useful for managing the viewing habits of larger families.

Users will be able to browse content by production house and franchise -- Disney, Pixar, Marvel Universe, Star Wars and National Geographic are all prominently displayed -- as well as system recommendations. The Disney+ app will also incorporate big-name movies and shows from Disney's recent $70 billion acquisition of 21st Century Fox.

Apple launched Apple TV+ nearly two weeks ahead of Disney+, throwing their hat into the streaming service ring alongside existing offerings such as Netflix and Amazon Prime. Apple TV+ lacks Disney's exhaustive library, and instead is relying on hosting an expanding catalog of entirely exclusive content, such as "See," "Dickinson," and "The Morning Show," with many more to come.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I wonder if it will be available via Apple TV Channels? I’m not sure that Channels is able to support the up-to-seven-individual-profiles thing. We’ll see soon enough.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Though there is no positive mention of Apple TV+ launching in 100 countries compared to the meager 3 countries Disney+ is launching in there is the mandatory “Apple TV+ lacks Disney’s exhaustive library” mention. 
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I just commented on another thread here on AI but worth repeating ... after getting the bill at a restaurant last night for a few shared appetizers and two drinks that came to more than the Disney+ annual subscription I realized what amazingly good value for money it is.  I just signed up and logged in.
    redraider11gilly33SpamSandwichchemengin1lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I haven't downloaded Disney+ app yet I see Mandalorian in What To Watch in TV app on my iPad..???..
  • Reply 5 of 15
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Users also will have the option to bundle Hulu and ESPN+, which will bring their total subscription fee to $12.99 a month.
    Is this true in Canada? Actually we want Hulu and ESPN more than the Disney Channel stuff, but on the AppStore (Canada) the description does not list those as optional add ons / In App Purchases.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Got a free year through Verizon, FYI.

Current unlimited wireless customers (me), and new FiOS customers.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 15
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I signed up on my iPhone.  Very easy.   And it is all through in-app purchases, which uses my iTunes Store credit which I feed through discounted iTunes cards (black Friday etc. ).   So my net cost is about $59.50 for a year.

Got lots of busy errors trying to do stuff (have not tried actual streaming yet as I need to get back to work) but a retry or two usually works so not that frustrating.  I assume once the initial launch day surge is past it will be fine.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Their servers crashed on first day of launching. What a way to start.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    So far everything I wanted is 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos!!

i.e. A New Hope!!! etc!!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Indicates the pent up demand for their offerings. This service is going to be huge for Disney. Huge. Wish I had bought Disney stock a year ago.

By the way, here’s the App Store link to their app. This was not as easy to find as I would’ve preferred: 
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/disney/id1446075923
    edited November 2019 chemengin1philboogie
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Enjoying ‘A New Hope’ now on Apple TV HD. I’ll enjoy 4K and Dolby Atmos goodness soon enough. 
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Indicates the pent up demand for their offerings. This service is going to be huge for Disney. Huge. Wish I had bought Disney stock a year ago.

By the way, here’s the App Store link to their app. This was not as easy to find as I would’ve preferred: 
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/disney/id1446075923
    Thanks.

And the Sign Up Here link in the article is a 404...

Edit: gen 1, 2 and 3 of AppleTV not supported, though it looks like one can AirPlay from iOS:

Is Apple TV supported on Disney+?

Disney+ is supported on Apple TV HD (4th gen or later) and Apple V 4K running tvOS 11.0 and later.

General Notes

• For the best experience, we recommend using the most recent available operating system version
    • High-speed Internet is required
    • HDCP and high-speed HDMI is required, with HDCP 2.2 required for 4K Ultra HD and/or HDR content

Unsupported Devices

Apple TV 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation devices are not supported.

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=1ae5fa50db4d40d03c0cf158bf9619cc

Be sure to read this before signing up:

What devices and platforms are supported by Disney+? 

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content_international&sys_kb_id=eac89167db3048900a2af56e0f96193b

edited November 2019
  • Reply 13 of 15
    What countries will it be released in? Doubt New Zealand will be part of it which begs the question when will it be released in other countries?

Apple TV+ was released here on day dot. Just goes to show what media companies think of countries other than America 

• Reply 14 of 15
    What countries will it be released in? Doubt New Zealand will be part of it which begs the question when will it be released in other countries?

Apple TV+ was released here on day dot. Just goes to show what media companies think of countries other than America 

You're in luck:

https://dtcimedia.disney.com/news/dtci-disney-plus-nl-canada-anz

• Reply 15 of 15

You're in luck:

https://dtcimedia.disney.com/news/dtci-disney-plus-nl-canada-anz

Thanks for that.

I'm not convinced by Disney+ though to be honest. At the moment it just seems to be a collection of Star Wars, Disney, and Marvel stuff which doesn't float my boat to be honest. I am interested in the National Geographic stuff. At the moment though I think Apple's content just seems to be a little more varied.