Apple predicted to launch 16-inch MacBook Pro this week

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2020
Apple is again predicted to launch the 16-inch MacBook Pro very soon, possibly Wednesday, with reports claiming the company has started to brief members of the media.

Rendering of Apple's rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro.
Rendering of Apple's rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro.

The 16-inch MacBook Pro has been rumored to make an appearance soon for some time. As with other rumors for unreleased products, predictions about the device's launch are starting to circulate once again, buttressed by reports of media briefings being held in New York City, and other locations.

According to a tweet from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman on Monday, the release of the 16-inch MacBook Pro will take place "this week." A later tweet suggested multiple people mentioned the existence of briefings on Tuesday, and the lifting of review embargoes on Wednesday, with people questioning when Apple will officially launch the model.

Meanwhile, a report from 9to5Mac on Monday corroborated the claim of Apple's closed-door media briefings on the 16-inch MacBook Pro, including providing hands-on demonstration time and presentations to members of the press.

While the reports of an imminent launch are seemingly promising, this is the latest in a number of rumored announcement timings for the model. Earlier rumors put the production of the 16-inch MacBook Pro in September and October, with insinuations a launch of the model would take place in the same months, but to no avail.

Given Apple's history of not launching major hardware changes so close to the end of the year, so as to not interfere with holiday season sales, it seems extremely unusual for Apple to go through with the launch, if the rumors turn out to be right this time.

According to sources of IDC in a report for Forbes, production is underway with "early signs" from the supply chain for an announcement, but the timing "is still uncertain." The firm also anticipated an announcement in October, but "it didn't come to fruition."

Current rumors propose the 16-inch MacBook Pro will use a refresh of Intel's Coffee Lake-H mobile processor series, continuing from the line used in the 15-inch MacBook Pro. A new scissor-switch mechanism is believed to be in use for the keyboard.

The screen will feature a new "ultra-thin bezel design" to keep the physical dimensions of the notebook down despite the girthier display size. The resolution has also been tipped be in the ballpark of 3,072 by 1,920, up from the 2,880-by-1,800 used in the 15-inch model.

One image leak from the second beta of macOS 10.15.1 Catalina seemed to indicate the model will have a discrete Touch ID sensor next to the Touch Bar strip above the keyboard.

It is believed the model will also be equipped with a 96-watt USB-C power adapter, which would be a step up from the 87W version but remain the same size. The wattage is coincidentally the amount of power delivery offered by the Pro Display XDR via its Thunderbolt 3 port.

One analyst anticipates the 16-inch MacBook Pro will cost over $3,000 when it ships.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
     :D 

So, maybe you've seen it, but as long as the coverage links to other leaks you don't break the embargo.

SMRT
    minicoffeecornchipforgot usernamecy_starkman
  • Reply 2 of 43
    I think it's a smart move to release a brand new model this time of year.  Gives motivation to sell 2018/2019 15" models at a discount, which retailers want for holiday sales.  Let's face it - Apple laptop products are expensive, people still want them and always ask for them at the holidays.  This may be an opportunity for enough of a discount to satisfy that.  
    d_2forgot usernamecaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Thinner bezel around 15.4" MBP made it into 16" MBP. So, if apple takes th same concept to 13.3" MBP/MBA than we have something like 14" version. If that happens than buyers can be all over.
    minicoffeecaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 43
    You had me until you cited Forbes ... then I stopped reading. Seriously guys??

Anyway, will buy one when they’re announced, and not before!
    dedgeckonadrielwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member

There are two writers(Gordon and Spensor) on Forbes who constantly talks against Apple products.I hate both of them because they portray as independent product analyst but probably paid by Apple competitors.
    bigpicsStrangeDaysmattbookairforgot usernameroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Just in time to buy before the Dec. 15th 10% tariff (Trump's consumer tax) is imposed on laptops. The tariff may not be reflected in the retail price, as Apple is reportedly absorbing the costs, but I'll purchase mine before then, so the money goes where it should.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    wood1208 said:

There are two writers(Gordon and Spensor) on Forbes who constantly talks against Apple products.I hate both of them because they portray as independent product analyst but probably paid by Apple competitors.
    Ewan Spence and Gordon Kelly. Forbes Contributor Network trash writers...  they have no equal. The absolute worst. 
    bigpicsStrangeDaysroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Just in time to buy before the Dec. 15th 10% tariff (Trump's consumer tax) is imposed on laptops. The tariff may not be reflected in the retail price, as Apple is reportedly absorbing the costs, but I'll purchase mine before then, so the money goes where it should.
    An MSRP not changing doesn't mean that the customer isn't absorbing the cost. There are countless other ways to adjust expenses, but even within a very direct system of a component and cost, Apple could simply start using less expensive components or manufacturing in certain areas in order to maintain their profit margins. Note: A less expensive component doesn't mean that it's effectively any different than what shows up on a spec sheet.

Hershey famously had a 5¢ bar for 7 decades which varied in size (and possibility quality) as cocoa prices fluctuated.
    edited November 2019 bigpicsforgot usernameGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mknelson said:
     :D 

So, maybe you've seen it, but as long as the coverage links to other leaks you don't break the embargo.

SMRT
    We haven't seen it.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    Thinking ... there must be something truly new with this laptop - Apple would not be holding media briefings for demos of the often mentioned potential changes:  a relatively standard keyboard, a processor bump and/or screen size increase of ~ 0.6”.
    mcdave
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    d_2 said:
    Thinking ... there must be something truly new with this laptop - Apple would not be holding media briefings for demos of the often mentioned potential changes:  a relatively standard keyboard, a processor bump and/or screen size increase of ~ 0.6”.
    On the other hand, if there was something truly new, they'd have an event.
    bigpicsentropysfastasleepcanukstormpscooter63roundaboutnowcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    d_2 said:
    It could technically be anywhere between 0.1" and 1.0" to bring it to 15.5" to 16.4". I'm hoping it's on the higher end which would add up to 14.29" sq.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 43
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    $3K? Not for me. YMMV. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Well, likely Bloomberg would be shut out of said briefings, so maybe there's some truth to it? They get wind of it and start Tweeting as sour grapes, not actually knowing any details.

I could see Apple announcing this at the same time they start taking Mac Pro and Pro Display orders. The one thing that I believe is absolutely certain to be true is that this new Pro laptop will work with the Pro Display at full spec. You can even argue that it appeared anonymously in the original launch presentation, where Pro Displays were shown hooked up to a laptop. This is that machine.

Probably not taking orders yet, but they are going to be dealing with a lot of questions about compatibility of the Pro Display with the current MBPs regardless. This machine is the answer to those questions?
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    d_2 said:
    On the other hand, if there was something truly new, they'd have an event.
    maybe not ... AirPods Pro = no event 
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Hoping they start the rumored no-interest plan for Apple Card at launch of the 16-inch. I've used Barclay for many years. Didn't pay a dime in interest and got hundreds back with their now dead rewards plan. Even with the 3% kickback, 12.74% is unacceptable. I have better options on other cards.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting timing, I don’t see this as a major Christmas Gift so releasing now hurts nothing.    I suspect this will be way out of my price range anyways.   Beyond that I will wait for early adopters to test, been burnt too much by Apples Macs to jump.  

• Reply 18 of 43
    You do realize that if Apple manufactured anyplace but China the money would simply go into Apples pocket.  I have no idea if Trumps approach will work in the long run, but the fact remains he is the first president in decades to address Chinas trade practices.  If Apple gets motivated to leave China it would be fantastic for everyone.  
    razorpitcanukstormentropys
  • Reply 19 of 43
    d_2 said:
    I’d be amazed if they did anything more than phone it in.    The Mac line simply doesn’t get proper attention.  

On the other land there is huge potential.  I’d love a logon via video just like iPhone.   Even better if it could automatically recognize  authorized users. 
  • Reply 20 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Forbes = Reliably unreliable tech source (although Bloomberg has been catching up in a sprint).

But given the recent sale prices on the current 15" MBP, it's hard not to think that its rumored 16" replacement may be imminent.
    StrangeDays