Apple predicted to launch 16-inch MacBook Pro this week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    You had me until you cited Forbes ... then I stopped reading. Seriously guys??

Anyway, will buy one when they’re announced, and not before!
    I can guarantee you won't buy one before they're announced
    Solifastasleepright_said_fredroundaboutnownadrielmacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    d_2 said:
    Thinking ... there must be something truly new with this laptop - Apple would not be holding media briefings for demos of the often mentioned potential changes:  a relatively standard keyboard, a processor bump and/or screen size increase of ~ 0.6”.
    On the other hand, if there was something truly new, they'd have an event.
    You'd think. But maybe it's just put-up-or-shut-up time, tariffs or no tariffs. I'd love to see Apple adopt that approach for the Pro computing stuff. Refresh the iMac Pro, announce this Pro laptop, begin taking orders on the Mac Pro and Pro Display. All without a lot of fanfare. Pro hardware from Apple. If it's your job to know about it, you'll know about it. Look at Apple News+ for the publications most likely to be given details/demonstrations in advance.

On the other hand, there's probably about a 95% chance these briefings are imaginary.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    If it really does have the old keyboard mechanism, I'll get rid of my 2019 MBP -- an Apple product that is right up there in the crappiness scale, bested only by the AppleTV remote -- and jump for this one.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 43
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Appleish said:
    Hoping they start the rumored no-interest plan for Apple Card at launch of the 16-inch. I've used Barclay for many years. Didn't pay a dime in interest and got hundreds back with their now dead rewards plan. Even with the 3% kickback, 12.74% is unacceptable. I have better options on other cards.
    I agree.  Apple/Citizens expanded this year with 0% for iPhone loans for folks who want the option of buying Apple care or not and don't necessarily want to upgrade every year. I bought my phone this way this year and used points on my Chase card to pay for Apple Care instead of having it tacked on to my monthly payment,

I feel like the next logical step is 0% for Macs as well.  If not I will continue to buy from Best Buy @ 0% for my big purchases.  
  • Reply 25 of 43
    $3K seems a bit overpriced for the 'mainstream' Consumer and Enterprise markets...
  • Reply 26 of 43
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I don’t get the obsession with this. What are they going to announce?

WE’VE FIXED THE KEYBOARD WOO HOO! - no.

WE’VE BUMPED THE SCREEN AN INCH, WHOOP WHOOP! - er, no.

New screen tech, form factor, processor architecture sure.  Is OLED/MicroLED ready? Is their core pro product the right one to switch to ARM first? (Too much 3rd party software risk). Have they got a new modular/stick-based upgradable design in the pipeline?  Maybe a T3 with Afterburner lite or an Apple dGPU built in, new iPad Pros, pro Displays, iCloud Pro. These would warrant an event.

Do Apple ever hold events for non-innovation?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    mcdave said:

New screen tech, form factor, processor architecture sure.  Is OLED/MicroLED ready? Is their core pro product the right one to switch to ARM first? (Too much 3rd party software risk). Have they got a new modular/stick-based upgradable design in the pipeline?  Maybe a T3 with Afterburner lite or an Apple dGPU built in, new iPad Pros, pro Displays, iCloud Pro. These would warrant an event.

Man... I was getting a headache reading your rant.

No one really cares.  It'll be a great machine for the majority of users.
    macplusplusfastasleeppscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    ...according to everymac.com the iMac Pro was released December 14th, 2017...
    Does this make sense for those with year end tax advantages and shy of bleeding edge macOS releases...?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Also odd that not the usual Tuesday. Or are invite going out tomorrow for next Tuesday.

So they can run the line the release is late?
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Let’s hope that the new keyboard has a decent amount of key travel and a tactile feel.

The last four generations of MacBook keyboards have been atrocious! They make typing feel like pounding your fingers on concrete. 
  • Reply 31 of 43
    ...according to everymac.com the iMac Pro was released December 14th, 2017...
    Does this make sense for those with year end tax advantages and shy of bleeding edge macOS releases...?
    What.

mattinoz said:
    Also odd that not the usual Tuesday. Or are invite going out tomorrow for next Tuesday.

So they can run the line the release is late?
    "A wizard is never late! Nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to." — Gandalf

henrybay said:
    Let’s hope that the new keyboard has a decent amount of key travel and a tactile feel.

The last four generations of MacBook keyboards have been atrocious! They make typing feel like pounding your fingers on concrete. 
    You're clearly typing too hard. If you adjust your typing style just a little, it's totally fine. Do you type equally hard on an iPhone or iPad? No.
    pscooter63mattinozroundaboutnowStrangeDaysrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 43
    mcdave said:

Who's obsessed? How is this different from any other rumors of an Apple hardware announcement? All we know to expect is the new screen and new keyboard design, both of which have a lot of people excited. Anything above and beyond that would be a surprise. Nobody is expecting an event, but it is the first significant change in design since 2016.

"non-innovation" GTFOOH.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting timing, I don’t see this as a major Christmas Gift so releasing now hurts nothing.    I suspect this will be way out of my price range anyways.   Beyond that I will wait for early adopters to test, been burnt too much by Apples Macs to jump.  

burnt by what, faulty hardware? apple would just replace.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 43
    wizard69 said:
    d_2 said:
    Thinking ... there must be something truly new with this laptop - Apple would not be holding media briefings for demos of the often mentioned potential changes:  a relatively standard keyboard, a processor bump and/or screen size increase of ~ 0.6”.
    I’d be amazed if they did anything more than phone it in.    The Mac line simply doesn’t get proper attention.  

On the other land there is huge potential.  I’d love a logon via video just like iPhone.   Even better if it could automatically recognize  authorized users. 
    macs already do if you are wearing your apple watch
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    maybe touring the texas manufacturing facility with trump next week. where the mac pro will be assembled...

needs to launch by end of november to meet fall “promise”...

16” pro macbook is apparently launch imminent...

sounds like s perfect storm of media and americans are leaders, professionals, making the highest end equipment in the world, right here in the usa.. trump level pride, apple leveraging the opportunity to market, give trump a happy plug... and let him announce no tarrifs for apple.

win, win and win

edit: i love how apple has leveraged trump. apple getting the job done no matter what. turn everything to your advantage; realise it is easier to effect change by having good communication.

edit edit: i have zero political interest and consider apple’s behaviour as leading by being above the school yard divisional antics of politics. much praise.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 36 of 43
    wizard69 said:
    d_2 said:
    I’d be amazed if they did anything more than phone it in.    The Mac line simply doesn’t get proper attention.  

On the other land there is huge potential.  I’d love a logon via video just like iPhone.   Even better if it could automatically recognize  authorized users. 
    In the past 1-2 years we have a new iMac Pro model, a way better Mac mini, new MacBook Air, new Mac Pro, refreshed iMac 5K (just got one a few months ago, it’s kickass), MBP updates, and a possible new size. Yeah, no attention to the Mac. 
    edited November 2019 muthuk_vanalingamright_said_fredrazorpitfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    mcdave said:

If you don’t believe Apple innovates, you haven’t been paying attention. As for laptops, it’s a very mature product category, what sort of completely-new innovation are you expecting? What am I overlooking on all my work-issued Dells? Why isn’t my Dell retina? Why doesn’t it have TouchID? Why is it so thick? Why does its fan constantly blow when idle or simply using the file system? Etc etc...
    edited November 2019 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Just in time to buy before the Dec. 15th 10% tariff (Trump's consumer tax) is imposed on laptops. The tariff may not be reflected in the retail price, as Apple is reportedly absorbing the costs, but I'll purchase mine before then, so the money goes where it should.
    Perhaps Apple should launch the new MacBook only outside of the US where Trump's tariff's don't apply...?

Nah. Won't happen.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Lucky pros and people for whom money ain't no thing! They're getting lots of attention from Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    karmadave said:
    $3K seems a bit overpriced for the 'mainstream' Consumer and Enterprise markets...
    Depends on that market they want to go after. If its a similar market as MacPro, then its actually quite cheap. Where I work, we buy $5,000-6,000 high-end laptops all the time. I see nothing wrong with Apple selling high-end more expensive MacBook Pros if they make the MacBook Air a slightly more consumer friendly Mac laptop. The way it should be in my opinion. General consumers shouldn't buy purchasing MacBook Pros, they should be purchasing MacBook/MacBook Airs. Right now I understand why they do, but I do see where Apple has lost its way a little with their laptop line. Thats not to say that it's terrible and isn't working, but I just think it could be better. Then I think Apple could be in a better position to sell a $3,000-4,000 larger screen'd MacBook Pro for people who really need it. 

AI_lias said:
    Lucky pros and people for whom money ain't no thing! They're getting lots of attention from Apple.
    Honestly like I said above, Pro's should be the ones buying the MacBook Pro anyways so it should be priced appropriately. 
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra