Walk, run or wheel 5 kilometers with Apple Watch to earn 2019's Thanksgiving activity badg...

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
Apple's next Apple Watch activity challenge will fall on Thanksgiving, with owners eligible to receive a turkey-themed badge when they complete a 5-kilometer walk, run or wheelchair workout.

Thanksgiving Day Challenge

As with previous Turkey Day Activity Challenges, the 2019 event requires users participate in a workout with a length of at least 5 kilometers, or 3.1 miles. The return of Apple's Thanksgiving Day challenge was discovered by Kyle Seth Gray, who subsequently posted the information on Twitter.

"Keep active this Thanksgiving! Earn this special award on November 28 by doing any walk, run, or wheelchair workout of at least 5K (3.1mi)," Gray's tweet reads.

Apple introduced an activity challenge celebrating the popular U.S. holiday in 2016, and followed it up with an identical event in 2017. For reasons unknown, the company elected to forego the challenge in 2018.

Like past Thanksgiving Day badges, the 2019 version features a holiday themed design complete with turkey feathers and text denoting the completion of a 5K workout.

Apple Watch activity challenges are held throughout the year to mark special occasions, holidays and other world or country-specific events, the most recent of which landed on Veterans Day on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Apple should connect these  “badges” to actual rewards / iTunes credits or cash back at an Apple store.
    dewmewatto_cobraMacPro
  • Reply 2 of 23
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Walk, Run, or Wheel...
    Drive?

LOL
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    When will Apple actually care about all those disabled? I have a hard time walking, so running is out, but I don’t need to use my wheelchair. They should really add a bike option since I can use that for exercise.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    If they're using Kilometres as measurement then Thanksgiving has already passed ;) 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    smyliex3 said:
    When will Apple actually care about all those disabled? I have a hard time walking, so running is out, but I don’t need to use my wheelchair. They should really add a bike option since I can use that for exercise.
    I think the reason Apple hasn’t done any bike challenges is it would require “extra” equipment. Walking and running really only require shoes, and if someone requires a wheelchair they likely already have one. 

Maybe I’m wrong and perhaps my assumptions are out of line. 
    StrangeDaysrazorpitmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    I believe credit should be given for thinking about any of these activities... ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Apple should connect these  “badges” to actual rewards / iTunes credits or cash back at an Apple store.
    Why would Apple give you money to take care of yourself? 
    trashman69razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 23

smyliex3 said:
    Claiming Apple doesn’t care about the disabled when they have the most comprehensive accessibility features in the business is a bit rich.

As for this challenge, it’s a 5k, which is about 45-60 minutes if walking. That is not an unusually long duration for a very large percentage of those capable of walking.
    edited November 2019 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    So, a "turkey" badge reward... but for vegans and vegetarians? C'mon Apple... I do that distance every morning just going to the shops in the nearest town... can't you add a broccoli or curly kale badge reward, or even your "apple", into the mix?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    They shouldn't, because then that would be discrimination against couch potatoes and other forms for lazy people, and they should be considered a protected group just like all other types of protected groups, otherwise we will have to demand an investigation into these unfair and discriminatory practices and we will not tolerate couch potatoism in our society.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Maybe to sell more watches etc.  

I personally don’t see. The point of these silly badges.  They do nothing.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 12 of 23
    While I doubt the effectiveness of these rewards, I am glad that Apple is encouraging people to get out and exercise.
    The U.S. spends $3.5 TRILLION each year on healthcare -- far more than we can afford.   Well, actually, it's not healthcare.  It's DiseaseManagement that (mostly) just treats the symptoms of chronic diseases caused largely unhealthy lifestyles.

Apple is one of the few who are encouraging people to lead healthier lifestyles.  The government isn't doing anything and the healthcare and food industries certainly aren't.  If anything, they are sabotaging efforts at encouraging healthy lifestyles.

Unhealthy lifestyles in this country are causing an epidemic of lifestyle related diseases and bankrupting the country trying to pay to treat them.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    So, a "turkey" badge reward... but for vegans and vegetarians? C'mon Apple... I do that distance every morning just going to the shops in the nearest town... can't you add a broccoli or curly kale badge reward, or even your "apple", into the mix?
    There are societal norms for a reason.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 23
    I know several people who look forward to earning badges. Some of them would be out and moving regardless of whether they had an Apple Watch but others wouldn't be. I know far more people that retire to the living room and sit down for the rest of the day after than I do people that get up and move instead. If a little award on their Watch gets someone to go out and walk a 5k on Thanksgiving that's a positive.

And people definitely try to earn them, so saying "they do nothing" is clearly incorrect.

While I doubt the effectiveness of these rewards, I am glad that Apple is encouraging people to get out and exercise.
    There isn't anything to doubt about their effectiveness. People enjoy getting the awards and exercise in order to get them. The award did it's job every time someone earns one.
    razorpitStrangeDaysmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Maybe to sell more watches etc.  

The badges are fine. It’s a for-fun contest. It’s called gamification. Do you even have one?
    edited November 2019 macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I think the reason Apple hasn’t done any bike challenges is it would require “extra” equipment. Walking and running really only require shoes, and if someone requires a wheelchair they likely already have one. 

Maybe I’m wrong and perhaps my assumptions are out of line. 
    Au contraire, yours is the first post in this thread that makes any sense, and it makes a lot, even though the bar isn't set very high.
    ihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Ah, yes, a self-entitled fool wants to make it about him or her self. If your panties are that knotted, pretend it's a tofu turkey. Or Impossible Meat. 

'C'mon Apple...' What a moroon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I personally don’t see...
    That is a personal problem. Likely it will never be solved.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23

DAalseth said:
    Walk, Run, or Wheel...
    Drive?

LOL
    Don't quit your day job.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    macgui said:

DAalseth said:
    Walk, Run, or Wheel...
    Drive?

LOL
    Don't quit your day job.
    Unfortunately, I think @DAalseth isn't too far off the mark. 

A woman I know at the gym has an Apple Watch. She came to me one day wanting to show she had climbed something in the area of 139 flights that Saturday and was perplexed as to why it was so high. She noticed that for Sunday and Monday her flights climbed were in the teens which seemed much more reasonable to her. She was convinced there was something wrong with her Apple Watch.  

As it turned out, that month the Watch had given her a challenge to walk or run a certain number of miles. She was very behind and was afraid she wouldn't complete the challenge. The Saturday in question she started an Outdoor Walk workout on her watch, got into her car and drove home from the beach. She didn't want to overdo it so ended her workout shortly into her drive, but long enough in that the watch had recorded her going up and down some hills. Oops. Her squirming in embarrassment was fun to watch.

So, yeah, "drive" is also a possibility for those who don't mind cheating themselves.
    watto_cobra