Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro is built to blaze through pro workflows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 236
    No listing of all the ports and connectors? THAT is what separates a pro computer from the incapable POS’ we’ve been getting called MacBook Pro.
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not. This remains a crazy take on Thunderbolt 3.
    Wow. Nice insult, Mike. Real people don’t expect to invest in all new accessories and adapters every time they eventually replace their old outdated MacBook Pro. There should be an expectation of some backward compatibility.
    There is no insult here.

Thunderbolt 3 is USB-C which is USB. So, there is backwards compatibility. Computer users have always, always had to either get new cables or adapters. It has been thus for 40 years, and you know it.

If you don't want a pile of adapters, then don't get them. There are a plethora of docks and breakouts -- and we've reviewed nearly all of the good ones.
    “This remains a crazy take on Thunderbolt 3.”

That’s an insult.
    You're welcome to believe it is, but that's on you. If I was going to insult anybody, there would be no doubt, and no room for interpretation.
    Hey, man. It’s your web site. Enjoy yourself.
    Ok guys we get it. 

There is a lot of passion about previously having specific ports and now just Thunderbolt 3. 

It was intended to be used however you want to configure it. 
    We get that it’s frustrating that ports you use now have to be attached with cables and it can be an expensive eyesore if you can’t use a dock to do that. 

For a lot of people though, they never used those ports, so it’s wasted tech that never gets used. 
    For others, some wanted multiple ports of the same type like Ethernet, or maybe something legacy like FireWire. 

There are a lot of people who share your frustration, but those ports aren’t coming back. Especially now since the PC market has followed Apple and done the same thing. 

I believe Mike’s point is today there are more options to satisfy customers who want specific ports without spending a ton of money and something that is aesthetically pleasing and not a rat’s nest of cables.  

philboogiepscooter63chiaStrangeDaysroundaboutnowsportyguy209fastasleepuraharabrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 236
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    A great machine.  The better keyboard and a real escape key are very welcome.   The only minus point remains the limited connectors.   I travel a lot and almost everywhere I come, there is a HDMI cable available to connect to the meeting room monitor or to an external screen.  While Thunderbolt is great, I still need an external adapter.   And external adapters get lost (in my case about once every 6 months).
    razorpit
  • Reply 43 of 236
    sudden outbreak of common sense, maybe finally a decent keyboard again to replace the pieces of shit they put in over past years and a proper "esc" key is the right call ... excellent! its progress in the right direction but it looks like it still needs $100+ dollars of adapters to do anything useful.

how hard is it to make a "pro" machine that does not need an adapter to plug into HDMI (essentially what is required by any presentation in business or education) .

but non butterfly keyboard and a decent 'esc' key is already a good first step to get back to the formerly brilliant mac book pros.
    edited November 2019 razorpit
  • Reply 44 of 236
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    A very good update.  Only thing missing is WiFi 6.  Will be interesting to see when this design will be adopted on the 13-inch platform.
    Really?! It never occurred to me that WIFI 6 wouldn’t be included.
    It's not.  The tech specs on Apple's website state 802.11ac, not ax unfortunately.  A blemish in my view.
    I was finally looking at WIFI 6 routers now that I have current iDevices in the home. This might cause me to hold out on getting a new MBP until it’s included.
    caladanian
  • Reply 45 of 236
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cropr said:
    A great machine.  The better keyboard and a real escape key are very welcome.   The only minus point remains the limited connectors.   I travel a lot and almost everywhere I come, there is a HDMI cable available to connect to the meeting room monitor or to an external screen.  While Thunderbolt is great, I still need an external adapter.   And external adapters get lost (in my case about once every 6 months).
    At least it’s HDMI. It wasn’t that long ago that people bitched about Apple not including a VGA port since that what most conference rooms used.

This reconfirmed for me that moving to TB3 with USB-C port interfaces is the right way to go.
    chiaStrangeDayscaladaniansportyguy209fastasleepuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 236
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    With its additional cooling, hopefully this model won't throttle the CPU when beating on memory in a random access pattern (as opposed to streaming).
    edited November 2019 razorpitcaladaniansportyguy209watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 236
    bigtds said:
    What do you get for $2400?
    One year subscription to Apple TV+.
    Winner
    philboogieurahara
  • Reply 48 of 236
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    sudden outbreak of common sense, maybe finally a decent keyboard again to replace the pieces of shit they put in over past years and a proper "esc" key is the right call ... excellent! its progress in the right direction but it looks like it still needs $100+ dollars of adapters to do anything useful.

how hard is it to make a "pro" machine that does not need an adapter to plug into HDMI (essentially what is required by any presentation in business or education) .

but non butterfly keyboard and a decent 'esc' key is already a good first step to get back to the formerly brilliant mac book pros.
    No adapter required. $18.

fastasleepuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 236
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    No listing of all the ports and connectors? THAT is what separates a pro computer from the incapable POS’ we’ve been getting called MacBook Pro.

UPDATE: Four Thunderbolt 3 ports. That’s all. Good lord... from their web site:

” MacBook Pro is equipped with four ports, so you can do all of that from either side. Existing devices are easily connected with a cable or adapter. And Thunderbolt 3 is reversible, so no matter how you plug in, it’s always right side up.”

It’ll still be a massive shitpile of adapters on a regular desk. Hate this mentality of theirs. Is it really asking for too much to expect some actual USB, Ethernet or other kinds of ports to REDUCE the number of adapters?
    Are you being serious?
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowsportyguy209uraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 236
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

” MacBook Pro is equipped with four ports, so you can do all of that from either side. Existing devices are easily connected with a cable or adapter. And Thunderbolt 3 is reversible, so no matter how you plug in, it’s always right side up.”

It’ll still be a massive shitpile of adapters on a regular desk. Hate this mentality of theirs. Is it really asking for too much to expect some actual USB, Ethernet or other kinds of ports to REDUCE the number of adapters?
    Suck it up. All of those ports are going away. Not just with Apple, but for everyone. The only one that will still be around for some time is Ethernet. I have an adapter for that which stays on the Ethernet cable. Not exactly a big deal.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowsportyguy209fastasleepuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 236

Soli said:
    Is this the first major design output from Jony Ive Successor Jeff Williams?
    Probably not. Besides these designs and builds taking a long time, Gruber also notes that "Ive is still listed on Apple’s leadership page as Chief Design Officer."
    As everyone here should know, at least those who actually pay attention, Ivy will be designing for apple for years to come, as his new firm has a long term contract.

the other thing is the ignorance about design some people here show. It’s as though they have no conception how it works, and the hundreds of people Apple has who design these products, other than Ivy’s design team. They’re called engineers, and they do most of the technical design work, not Ivy.
    muthuk_vanalingamsportyguy209Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 236
    melgross said:

Suck it up. All of those ports are going away. Not just with Apple, but for everyone. The only one that will still be around for some time is Ethernet. I have an adapter for that which stays on the Ethernet cable. Not exactly a big deal.
    Is HDMI going away? Or the mini DV? I get the switching for USB but almost no place one goes today can one connect to an external presentation screen, projector etc with USB-C. One missing dongle and your presentation is in trouble. Imo they should have kept HDMI and the SD card slot. 
  • Reply 53 of 236
    avon b7 said:
    We'll see if it still has the keyboard/battery/ top case melded together design like the previous generations but in the EU it starts at 2,699€ and quickly blasts past 3,000€.
    You're comparing it wrong. First, US prices exclude tax, European prices include VAT, ranging from 17% (Luxembourg) to 27% (Hungary).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax#European_Union_countries

Personally I think this laptop is dirt-cheap! Just look at the specs people, 500GB SSD
    2,6‑GHz 6‑core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost upto 4,5 GHz, with 12 MB shared L3‑cache
    16 GB 2666‑MHz DDR4
    AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4 GB GDDR6

PS: what the heck are ' force-cancelling woofers'?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 236
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    I didn't expect inverted-T arrow keys as I thought the new design works fine.

Really?  I thought you used to like all Type-C.
    johnbsiriuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 236
    melgross said:

Is HDMI going away? Or the mini DV? I get the switching for USB but almost no place one goes today can one connect to an external presentation screen, projector etc with USB-C. One missing dongle and your presentation is in trouble. Imo they should have kept HDMI and the SD card slot. 
    Not even the RS-232 and VGA, but I don't see anyone put them on their laptops.  HDMI to Type-C is out, nor it hurts that much just to have an adapter.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 236
    cropr said:
    Then don't unplug the adapter¡

Really now, if it's just one adapter...buy a couple, put them in your laptop bag, pants, jacket et cetera. Or get a new AppleTV and use your current one for presentations.

Solipscooter63StrangeDaysroundaboutnowsportyguy209watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 236
    I Can't believe those same people complaining at the same thing for four years.
    pscooter63StrangeDayssportyguy209fastasleepuraharajohnbsiriuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 236
    melgross said:

HDMI is not properly a computer port. It’s a Tv port. A few laptops have an HDMI port, but it’s not common. Mini DV is definitely going away. With Intel’s changes to the way TB is delivered, we’re going to see almost every computer with these USB C based ports before too long. And with the new USB C specs, even without direct TB support, it’s going to kill everything else in a few years.
    sportyguy209fastasleepuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 236
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    Is this the first major design output from Jony Ive Successor Jeff Williams?
    Probably not. Besides these designs and builds taking a long time, Gruber also notes that "Ive is still listed on Apple’s leadership page as Chief Design Officer."
    As everyone here should know, at least those who actually pay attention, Ivy will be designing for apple for years to come, as his new firm has a long term contract.

the other thing is the ignorance about design some people here show. It’s as though they have no conception how it works, and the hundreds of people Apple has who design these products, other than Ivy’s design team. They’re called engineers, and they do most of the technical design work, not Ivy.
    It boggles the mind that people like Gruber think one person designs something and has total say over whether said design ships. These butterfly keyboards weren’t shipping if the entire company wasn’t bought in to the design and engineering. Phil Schiller is not going to get up on stage and announce a laptop he doesn’t believe in or knows to be faulty. Also note there seem to be far fewer issues with the 4th gen butterfly keyboard. At this point the complaints aren’t about reliability but personal preference.
    philboogiesportyguy209watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 236

8-core 16-inch MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 5500M and 4GB GDDR6

90%faster Motion generator render performance

Configurable Option

8-core 16-inch MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 5500M and 8GB GDDR6

30%faster Motion generator render performance

--Why so much slower when doubling the memory?