Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro is built to blaze through pro workflows

Comments

• Reply 101 of 236
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MplsP said:
    No listing of all the ports and connectors? THAT is what separates a pro computer from the incapable POS’ we’ve been getting called MacBook Pro.
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not. This remains a crazy take on Thunderbolt 3.
    Wow. Nice insult, Mike. Real people don’t expect to invest in all new accessories and adapters every time they eventually replace their old outdated MacBook Pro. There should be an expectation of some backward compatibility.
    There is no insult here.

Thunderbolt 3 is USB-C which is USB. So, there is backwards compatibility. Computer users have always, always had to either get new cables or adapters. It has been thus for 40 years, and you know it.

If you don't want a pile of adapters, then don't get them. There are a plethora of docks and breakouts -- and we've reviewed nearly all of the good ones.
    I can’t believe you just wrote that. Thunderbolt 3 is not USB-C, nor is it USB. USB C is a connector that is capable of carrying USB 3 and Thunderbolt data as well as higher current for charging. That is partly why USB C is such a bloody mess. One port might do everything or it might do only one of those things. And the cable might be able to do some or even all of these, but you’re never quite sure.
    What? Thunderbolt 3 is absolutely USB-C. It's the reverse that may not be true.

I'm fully aware of the differences between the three, which is why they're in the order that they are in my post. I wrote the book on this here, at least twice.

One USB-C port might do everything or it might do one less thing. A Thunderbolt 3 port has the USB-C physicality. Thunderbolt 3 does it all, UBS 3.2 type C does not. The MacBook Pro has Thunderbolt 3, therefore, the MacBook Pro does it all.
    edited November 2019 StrangeDaysroundaboutnowlkruppsportyguy209macxpressfastasleepdewmepscooter63uraharajdb8167
  • Reply 102 of 236
    slurpy said:
    They've pretty much addressed 100% of the complaints of the previous model (ESC key, KB, arrow keys, bezels, thermal system, etc). Also, 512GB and 16GB on base model is amazing. Not sure how anyone can NOT be satisfied. This seems like the perfect machine and looking forward to upgrading from my 2014 15".
    That's right. I was afraid they were going to charge $3,000 for the base model. But Apple did the right thing here.
    sportyguy209watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 236
    MplsP said:
    cropr said:
    No listing of all the ports and connectors? THAT is what separates a pro computer from the incapable POS’ we’ve been getting called MacBook Pro.

UPDATE: Four Thunderbolt 3 ports. That’s all. Good lord... from their web site:

” MacBook Pro is equipped with four ports, so you can do all of that from either side. Existing devices are easily connected with a cable or adapter. And Thunderbolt 3 is reversible, so no matter how you plug in, it’s always right side up.”

It’ll still be a massive shitpile of adapters on a regular desk. Hate this mentality of theirs. Is it really asking for too much to expect some actual USB, Ethernet or other kinds of ports to REDUCE the number of adapters?
    It has USB. USB-C is the latest iteration of USB. You don’t need adapters, you just need the proper cables for your devices. Do you understand that? Cables. Plenty of A-to-C cables. 

Are you honestly asking for an ethernet port!?
    I give at lot of customer presentations and they all, without exception, give me a HDMI cable for the big screen in the meeting room.   So it is not the proper cable that is the issue but the proper port on my laptop.     And don't make me "educate" my customers. 
    This. HDMI is THE standard when it comes to video connections for presentations. It’s simple and nearly universal. I have yet to see a video projector in a conference room that doesn’t have it and beyond that, none of these projectors can do 4K, so being able to connect 100 monitors via the thunderbolt 10 port is a completely moot point. My daughter needed a new laptop for college and her first question was “does it have an HDMI port, ‘cause that’s what I need to do presentations”

Now all of the Apple sycophants will go on and on about ‘just buy an adapter’ and ‘be prepared’ and how it’s obviously your fault for not having the right equipment with, and I assume that none of these people have ever forgotten anything or had an adapter break or have someone borrow it and not return it, etc. Nor have they had an adapter not work properly. The fact of the matter is, rather than have a couple of the most common ports available to people, Apple made a decision that ‘we can make USB C do everything’ and, user convenience be damned, they can go out and buy all the ports cables and docks and hubs. 

As for “cables vs adapters” - that’s a completely semantic argument and ignores the point.
    How absurd. Nope, that’s not being a sycophant, that’s just using common sense. Not so common, I guess...

Just because you have a specialized use case is absolutely no reason to start packing in single-use ports on every single machine for the vast majority of people who don’t need them. Your problem isn’t a difficult one to solve. At all. Remotely. 

And no, the difference of cables and adapters isn’t semantic. The whiners are acting and pretending like they will need to carry adapters for all use case at all times, when really for most people most of the time a simple cable will remain in place. For edge cases, use an adapter. Problem solved. 
    edited November 2019 sportyguy209macxpressfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 236
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    MplsP said:

This. HDMI is THE standard when it comes to video connections for presentations. It’s simple and nearly universal. I have yet to see a video projector in a conference room that doesn’t have it and beyond that, none of these projectors can do 4K, so being able to connect 100 monitors via the thunderbolt 10 port is a completely moot point. My daughter needed a new laptop for college and her first question was “does it have an HDMI port, ‘cause that’s what I need to do presentations”

Now all of the Apple sycophants will go on and on about ‘just buy an adapter’ and ‘be prepared’ and how it’s obviously your fault for not having the right equipment with, and I assume that none of these people have ever forgotten anything or had an adapter break or have someone borrow it and not return it, etc. Nor have they had an adapter not work properly. The fact of the matter is, rather than have a couple of the most common ports available to people, Apple made a decision that ‘we can make USB C do everything’ and, user convenience be damned, they can go out and buy all the ports cables and docks and hubs. 

As for “cables vs adapters” - that’s a completely semantic argument and ignores the point.

I'll byte.

What about the users who want this laptop, with 4 USB-C ports, and never ever want to do a presentation? Never in need of HDMI?

See Phil's take on ports:
    “Do you think there’s ever a chance that the SD card slot makes a comeback?”

Schiller replied:

“Probably not, again nothing about the future is in stone, and things can always change. But, as we’ve been spending a lot of time with MacBook Pro surveying what our customers use, what I/O they need, where their needs are growing and how they are changing, and did a lot of soul searching on it and asking ourselves about a lot of connectors about USB-A about SD card readers, about HDMI and requestioning everything. And really what we came down to is more and more customers are taking advantage of USB-C and Thunderbolt, love the incredible headroom in performance there is there, the higher power there is, the charging ability there is, and so we think having on the highest-end notebook four USB-C/Thunderbolt ports gives the most headroom for the things you will be doing in the years ahead. And the trade-off is for a few traditional media types like SD card readers means using an adapter but there are USB-C adapters, I carry one for that. And ultimately, that gives you the highest performance and most flexibility with this arrangement. So after a lot of soul searching, we think we’ve done the best thing for customers with the I/O we have, meaning we don’t have every port type in the world on it.”

You’re presenting it as an ‘either/or’ proposition. It’s not. Why not keep the USB C ports and include an HDMI, or get rid of one of them? How many people need 4 - thunderbolt 3/USB 3 ports? And, as many people here are so fond of pointing out, if you actually need 4 ports but only have 3 (or 2 or 1,) just buy a hub. 

My point is that a very common use of laptops is to take with to give presentations, and an HDMI port is integral to that use. Is it possible to make do without the HDMI port? Absolutely, but it is also absolutely more convenient and reliable to have one built in. Not only that, for a portable device you run the very real risk of not having the proper adapter with you, making it useless for the desired task.  In any device like a laptop, it’s impossible to include ‘everything’ but Apple has gone the opposite route and included only one thing. 
  • Reply 105 of 236
    MplsP said:
    cropr said:

” MacBook Pro is equipped with four ports, so you can do all of that from either side. Existing devices are easily connected with a cable or adapter. And Thunderbolt 3 is reversible, so no matter how you plug in, it’s always right side up.”

It’ll still be a massive shitpile of adapters on a regular desk. Hate this mentality of theirs. Is it really asking for too much to expect some actual USB, Ethernet or other kinds of ports to REDUCE the number of adapters?
    It has USB. USB-C is the latest iteration of USB. You don’t need adapters, you just need the proper cables for your devices. Do you understand that? Cables. Plenty of A-to-C cables. 

I give at lot of customer presentations and they all, without exception, give me a HDMI cable for the big screen in the meeting room.   So it is not the proper cable that is the issue but the proper port on my laptop.     And don't make me "educate" my customers. 

How absurd. Nope, that’s not being a sycophant, that’s just using common sense. Not so common, I guess...

Just because you have a specialized use case is absolutely no reason to start packing in single-use ports on every single machine for the vast majority of people who don’t need them. Your problem isn’t a difficult one to solve. At all. Remotely. 

And no, the difference of cables and adapters isn’t semantic. The whiners are acting and pretending like they will need to carry adapters for all use case at all times, when really for most people most of the time a simple cable will remain in place. For edge cases, use an adapter. Problem solved. 
    SUre, if giving a presentation in a conference room is a ‘specialized use case’ for you. For much of the world, it’s THE use case.

It’s also ironic how you blast people for whining about having to carry adapters with just after you blast them for not being prepared when they don’t have all their adapters with. I guess you’ve never had anything happen that you didn’t expect? Here’s one - I had my laptop at a meeting at work. A coworker pulled out his USB stick (with the ‘obsolete’ USB A connector. I couldn’t do a thing other than try to explain why my ‘state of the art’ laptop failed to have the single most common connector in technology.
    80s_Apple_Guymuthuk_vanalingamfreethinkingSpamSandwich
  • Reply 106 of 236
    wallym said:
    Good to see Apple increasing memory.  64 gigs is the minimum for new systems today for me.  I like the higher capacity SSDs as well, so that is impressive.  I’m very critical of Apple, but this is All and all, a good new system.  I hope the keyboard is an improvement.  The keyboard on my 2018 mbp is really bad, just horrible for development.
    I'm curious, why do you say that 64 gb is the minimum for you today? My late 2017 MBP seems to work pretty well for graphics/video with 16 gb. That said, it seems a bit tight every once in a while, so my plan is to go with 32 gb with the 16" MBP. What benefits would I gain by going with more memory than 32 gb?

Thanks.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 236
    sudden outbreak of common sense, maybe finally a decent keyboard again to replace the pieces of shit they put in over past years and a proper "esc" key is the right call ... excellent! its progress in the right direction but it looks like it still needs $100+ dollars of adapters to do anything useful.

how hard is it to make a "pro" machine that does not need an adapter to plug into HDMI (essentially what is required by any presentation in business or education) .

but non butterfly keyboard and a decent 'esc' key is already a good first step to get back to the formerly brilliant mac book pros.
    No adapter required. $18.

you are welcome to use my dell when you rock up to a presentation with the "adapter" cable you linked to, because what you really need is the female side. 9 of 10 times you cant get to the projector. besides linking to an "adapter" cable to support your claim no adapter is required is weird.  
    MplsPmelgrossright_said_fredSpamSandwich
  • Reply 108 of 236
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    elijahg said:
    These do look very nice, especially good that they seem to be putting some effort into having a decent GPU now. Shame it's not Nvidia, but still we can't expect Apple to get over their spat with Nvidia for at least 7 years. The keyboard change is really an admission that the butterfly mechanism was a bad design. If the third iteration was reliable, Apple wouldn't have changed back. I do think there is some psychology in that decision, but still.

It does seem that as soon as the world starts to catch up to the connectors on Apple's current computers, they switch to something else. HDMI is becoming fairly ubiquitous, but now we need an adapter. HDMI is thin enough to fit on the Macbook, there is no reason to not include it. It's incredibly useful to be able to connect to devices without an adapter. No worries if you forget it, or don't know you're going to need it before you leave. I've replaced the presenting PC with my 13" 2015 MacBook several times when people have had issues, which wouldn't be possible without its built-in HDMI.
    sudden outbreak of common sense, maybe finally a decent keyboard again to replace the pieces of shit they put in over past years and a proper "esc" key is the right call ... excellent! its progress in the right direction but it looks like it still needs $100+ dollars of adapters to do anything useful.

how hard is it to make a "pro" machine that does not need an adapter to plug into HDMI (essentially what is required by any presentation in business or education) .

but non butterfly keyboard and a decent 'esc' key is already a good first step to get back to the formerly brilliant mac book pros.

That's still an adapter, it adapts from one format to another, just all in one cable.
    I love how it’s assumed that it’s Apple’s fault that they moved from Nvidia. It’s much more complex than that. Nvidia had, for several years, major quality control issues, that they dishonestly tried to pretend didn’t exist.

then, when Apple came out with new graphics software technologies, Nvidia refused to support them, instead insisting on their own proprietary ones. ATI adopted Apple’s technologies fairly rapidly. Yes, ATI was the underdog, and that’s one reason. But the reason didn’t matter. The same situation exists today. AMD supports Apple’s Metal  much better than Nvidia does. What should Apple do, reward Nvidia for not supporting them? I don’t think so, particularly that Apple relies on their own technology more as time goes on.
    lkruppmacxpressroundaboutnowpscooter63uraharatobybeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 109 of 236
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    MplsP said:
    cropr said:

This. HDMI is THE standard when it comes to video connections for presentations. It’s simple and nearly universal
    And yet I remember about 10 years ago when VGA was THE standard which everyone screamed about.  Maybe one day we'll have THE ONE TRUE STANDARD that some people believe every current standard is, but until that time, change inevitably will come.
    fastasleeppscooter63urahara13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 236
    It does have a USB port.. It does have an Ethernet port, It has all those things in Thunderbolt 3 which means Apple can meet every person's needs including FireWire.  You don't need adapters. You can purchase a USB C to USB cable and you're good or purchase a USB C to Ethernet cable. Thunderbolt 3 with USB C port is the best thing Apple Did.
    edited November 2019 sportyguy209fastasleepdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 236
    Yay finally not a fake macbook pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 112 of 236
    rain22 said:
    avon b7 said:
    We'll see if it still has the keyboard/battery/ top case melded together design like the previous generations but in the EU it starts at 2,699€ and quickly blasts past 3,000€.

PS: what the heck are ' force-cancelling woofers'?
    Marketing lingo for “we decided to use six 4 cent greeting card quality speakers to accommodate the design and needed to make this deficiency sound cool”. 

In other words - the sound will be garbage as they couldn’t put in a decent sized speaker cone physically capable of producing sound waves - so jammed in 6 small deficient ones and using harmonic algorithms to give the impression of full sound through volume. 

In in other words, it will sound like a louder iPhone. 
    Ignorance on parade. Read it and weep:

https://daringfireball.net/2019/11/16-inch_macbook_pro_first_impressions

AUDIO

A keyboard reboot we all saw coming. Here’s one I did not: the new 16-inch MacBook Pro has radically improved built-in speakers. This is the audio equivalent of going from chunky pixels to retina displays. It’s that big a difference.

It’s not simply about being louder, although they are louder at maximum volume. They just sound impossibly better. They don’t merely sound like good laptop speakers — they sound like good dedicated portable speakers, period. In a small room, you can credibly use the 16-inch MacBook Pro to play music as though it’s an entertainment speaker system. And at maximum volume they really are a lot louder — without the sort of distortion we’ve all come to expect from laptop speakers at high volume.

Thanks for posting that article! Very interesting and informative...
    right_said_fredwatto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 236
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I remember when people on this website liked Apple.
    fastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 236
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    And just where am I supposed to insert my floppy discs? Fail!
    fastasleepanomeuraharatenthousandthingsright_said_fredwatto_cobra
  • Reply 115 of 236
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:
    We'll see if it still has the keyboard/battery/ top case melded together design like the previous generations but in the EU it starts at 2,699€ and quickly blasts past 3,000€
    Just the other day you were waxing eloquent on how much you love life in the EU.

You should be equally thrilled with how the level of taxation impacts the price of Apple products there.
    It was just a reflection on reality and its logical impact. I have no problem with our sales tax implementation, save for a few products which should be exempt IMO or have reduced rates applied.

Long live the EU! LOL
  • Reply 116 of 236

you are welcome to use my dell when you rock up to a presentation with the "adapter" cable you linked to, because what you really need is the female side. 9 of 10 times you cant get to the projector. besides linking to an "adapter" cable to support your claim no adapter is required is weird.  
    To counter your apocrypha, I have some of my own. Just in 2019, I have done many, many presentations with a cable (not adapter) identical to this one, and every single time I've been able to get to said projector.

Sure, if you have some kind of strange setup with a hardwired HDMI connector and no access to the projector, then you may need an adapter, and it is absolutely on the presenter to make sure you have the tools you need to get the job done, so I wouldn't need to use your Dell anyway.

And, in older conference rooms, your HDMI out on your Dell may need a DVI adapter or HDMI to DVI cable which is still not an adapter -- the abject horror.
    edited November 2019 roundaboutnowfastasleepStrangeDayspscooter63anomeuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 236
    auxio said:
    MplsP said:
    cropr said:

This. HDMI is THE standard when it comes to video connections for presentations. It’s simple and nearly universal
    And yet I remember about 10 years ago when VGA was THE standard which everyone screamed about.  Maybe one day we'll have THE ONE TRUE STANDARD that some people believe every current standard is, but until that time, change inevitably will come.
    Video has been one continually evolving standard, along with the connectors. The problem is that video capabilities keep evolving, and the connectors evolve with them. VGA and HDMI are honestly the two standards that have been around the longest. Heck - you can still find VGA connectors around on a regular basis. 

I make no pretense that HDMI will be around in 10 or 15 years. Who knows, maybe it will be, but regardless, for at least the last 5-7 years and for the foreseeable near future it will continue to be the standard and as such it makes sense to have devices that work with it out of the box.
  • Reply 118 of 236

To counter your apocrypha, I have some of my own. Just in 2019, I have done many, many presentations with a cable (not adapter) identical to this one, and every single time I've been able to get to said projector.

Sure, if you have some kind of strange setup with a hardwired HDMI connector and no access to the projector, then you may need an adapter, and it is absolutely on the presenter to make sure you have the tools you need to get the job done, so I wouldn't need to use your Dell anyway.

And, in older conference rooms, your HDMI out on your Dell may need a DVI adapter or HDMI to DVI cable which is still not an adapter -- the abject horror.
    You must never have been in a conference room with the projector mounted in the ceiling.

As for the the DVI, what’s your point? No one is claiming the MBP should have every port, just the single most common one that’s been standard for the last 5 years. The few conference rooms that I’ve been in that have DVI connectors also had either HDMI jacks or a DVI - HDMI adaptor (= short cable, since you’re hung up on the length)
    freethinkingSpamSandwich
  • Reply 119 of 236
    MplsP said:

You must never have been in a conference room with the projector mounted in the ceiling.

As for the the DVI, what’s your point? No one is claiming the MBP should have every port, just the single most common one that’s been standard for the last 5 years. The few conference rooms that I’ve been in that have DVI connectors also had either HDMI jacks or a DVI - HDMI adaptor (= short cable, since you’re hung up on the length)
    Some have been in the ceiling, but there's been a female HDMI port in a wall or desk for me to plug my cable into. Regardless if you're responsible for giving a presentation, regardless of what hardware or ports you have, it is absolutely your responsibility to make sure you have what you need. I'm not precisely sure still what the hangup is here, given that USB-C contains HDMI. It's not like you need an powered active converter or anything, here.

What's an adapter and what's a cable is very, very clear. If you have to plug another cable into it, it is an adapter. If you don't and you can connect to a peripheral with no other connections, it is a cable.

I don't think that there's an argument to be made that more connections in a cable length are a good thing. Having a cable from point A to point C is better than having an adapter from point A to point B, then a cable to point C. So, it's good news that cables from USB-C to anywhere exist, then, huh?

Even if I had to have an adapter or dongle for something, it's not any different than what we've had to do as computer users for four decades. Thus, the remark about the DVI.
    edited November 2019 fastasleepStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 120 of 236
    cropr said:
    A great machine.  The better keyboard and a real escape key are very welcome.   The only minus point remains the limited connectors.   I travel a lot and almost everywhere I come, there is a HDMI cable available to connect to the meeting room monitor or to an external screen.  While Thunderbolt is great, I still need an external adapter.   And external adapters get lost (in my case about once every 6 months).
    Gee, if there were only a way to not lose an adapter...

roundaboutnowStrangeDaysdewmemelgrossuraharawatto_cobra