Compact Flash Cards

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After three months of using the 8 MB CF card that came with my Canon Digital Elph I've given into to the temptation of a bigger card. So I'm wondering what people's experiences with different brands has been. SanDisk seems cheep, but I've read that they're 128 MB cards (the size I'm looking for) have had problems. I've seen recomendations for Lexar, but are their prices comprable to SanDisk?

Also, has any one used the SanDisk PC Card adaptor for CF cards? It's dirt cheep, but I want to make sure that it works with my TiBook (Rev. B, running 10.2.4).

And if this should be in General Discussion, sorry Mods. Move it and I'll look for it there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    As a follow-up to myself, I see that Lexar cards are rated at 4X or 12X. Does this make a real difference if I'm using the card for photos? If I'm using it for data? Are the SanDisk cards speed rated at all?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    OOOOH, i hope someone knows, cause I myself am purchasing a Digital Elph this very week, and am also looking for a 128 mb card....

c'mon with those replies people!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I have an s200 digital elph with a 64MB Lexar 4x CF card and I had no porblems with it- speed is fine for me too.

I've heard bad things about SanDisk cards before and their card readers- I would stick with Lexar.

I must say that I love this camera!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Honestly, I must say, memory is memory is memory. I've used about 6 brands of CF cards, all without problems. IMHO, I say just go for the biggest, cheapest card you can find... and for that, use http://dealmac.com/

Really... 8MB!?! Wow. I have the philosophy that if you are taking the picture, take the best quality picture you can, and shape your memory card purchase around that. You will never know which ones you might want to blow up or crop and print out.

Heck, there's 256MB cards for $45 now. I remember buying a 64 MB card for $60!

So, enough ranting... my advice - just buy cheap from a good merchant who will take it back if there are any problems.... none of my cards have gone bad, so I figure if it works for the first few days, it should work for several years. Of course, that's just my experience, and YMMV.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the PC card adapter works great, I have been using it since the beginning of the year. only $10, actually i started a thread about it in september asking the same question... a quick search in GD should find it.

I also have a Lexar CF 256 4x that i bought in Microcenter for $119 last year around this time (you can find a thread on that as well ) actually there was a $30 rebate that I never got around to redeeming as well (i was on vacation the day after I bought the card) so Im sure you can get a similar deal.

good luck

-Paul
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Thanks for all the help. Makes me sad to see all those prices in $US when I will be buying in $CDN

And yes, 8 MB sure isn't a lot. So long as I have my TiBook nearby it's fine, but if not half the fun of digital camera goes away.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Gabid: CF memory has gotten really cheap. I paid something like US$120 for my 128MB card and thought I got a good deal. You can now get a 512MB card for a lot less than that. I like shopping on Amazon. Right now they're selling:

(1) Viking 256MB CF card for US$35 (after rebate)

(2) Viking 512MB CF card for US$85 (after rebate)

I've been using a 128MB Viking card with my Canon PowerShot A20 for two years with no problems whatsoever. IMO, any memory will do for consumer point & shoot digital cameras below 4MP. It's only when you move up to 5MP+ prosumer cameras and the fancy digital SLR cameras that the speed of the memory becomes more relevant.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    gabid, you might want to look into an internal CF reader for your PB. i got one for use with our digital camera and it's the best. much faster than the USB one, and it's completely internal. doesn't stick out at ALL. it kicks ass! not sure what brand, a guy at work bought a few extra so just gave it to me. i think he picked it up for around $20 US though.

try www.newegg.com for decent prices on memory. nice part with them is that they are GREAT if you ever have to return anything. i buy almost exclusively from them now. usually they're a few bucks more, but the fast delivery makes it worthwhile, and the two RMA's i did through them were absolutely painless.

oh yeah, and i went with a 512MB card. they were around $150 US at the time, i'm sure they've come down in the 6 months or so since then.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Forget dealmac. http\\\www.techbargains.com is the ONLY way to go.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

Forget dealmac. http://www.techbargains.com is the ONLY way to go.

ugh... how can you even find anything on that site?? I like the coupons section, but it's so disorganized! The search is not very good, and it seems to take so much effort to read....

But I guess there are good deals to be found there, too. Whatever Floats Your Boat.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    I'm using a Crucial brand 128Mb CF card with my Canon Digital IXUS. No problems and lots of space! About 90 or so pics on the highest setting.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

ugh... how can you even find anything on that site?? I like the coupons section, but it's so disorganized! The search is not very good, and it seems to take so much effort to read....

But I guess there are good deals to be found there, too. Whatever Floats Your Boat.

True. Dealmac is updated once a day and not on weekends. Techbargain is update several times a day, 7 days a week. If you prefer less information but better organization, oh well, then Dealmac is better I guess.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

gabid, you might want to look into an internal CF reader for your PB. i got one for use with our digital camera and it's the best. much faster than the USB one, and it's completely internal. doesn't stick out at ALL. it kicks ass! not sure what brand, a guy at work bought a few extra so just gave it to me. i think he picked it up for around $20 US though.

did you read the original post? he said he was looking into it...

my thread

$9 PC card adapters + $4 shipping....
  • Reply 14 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    oh crap, i should read more carefully.

i have a sandisk in my TiBook, and it works beautifully.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

oh crap, i should read more carefully.

i have a sandisk in my TiBook, and it works beautifully.

I was wondering about that... But I'm glad to know the reader works!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

$9 PC card adapters + $4 shipping....

You could also go to a camera store that sells digital camera accessories. Mine sells those adapters for $2.99.