YouTuber gives a rare look inside Apple's $5 billion Apple Park headquarters

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's corporate headquarters are mostly closed off to the public, but a YouTube video gives us a chance to see what it looks like from the inside.

YouTuber Yonsung Kim on a tour of Apple Park

The short video, uploaded by YouTuber Yonsung Kim, gives the public a rare look into Apple's $5 billion headquarters, dubbed Apple Park.

The video gives a few short glimpses of the Steve Jobs theater, the Apple orchard, a food-court, and a look at the man-made lake that resides in the center of it all.

The video was unearthed by The Loop's Dave Mark and highlighted by Business Insider.

Most of Apple Park is not open to the public, with the exception of the Steve Jobs Theatre, visitors center, and an Apple Store where visitors can buy exclusive Apple merchandise and apparel. The Steve Jobs Theater is best known as the venue for Apple's major announcements, such as the launch of new iPhones.

Some of the areas included in the footage were previously used by Apple as a backdrop for its own guide to the iPhone XS, XS Max, and iPhone XR, highlighting areas like the lobby, the first floor hallway, the cafeteria, the courtyard near Apple Park's outdoor eatery, and the building's man-made pond.

Apple Park was opened in April of 2017 and cost the company roughly $5 billion to construct. The goal was to create a building that looked more like a nature refuge and less like an office park.

In line with Apple's sustainability goals, Apple Park is outfitted with solar panels.

In addition to being environmentally sustainable, Apple Park also uses 692 steel saucers to help guard the building against earthquake damage, as it is located in earthquake-prone California.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    someone left a floor duster just sitting against a wall, someone could trip over that and hurt themselves.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I don't know if I could get any work done if I was employed there.  I'd be staring out the windows all day and in nice weather, wanting to sit outside.  Does look beautiful though.  The scene where you could see people walking on various levels of the building in the background looked fake (even though it wasn't).   If that scene was in a movie, I would have said that the background figures were CGI.  

Wonder which camera they used for capture.  
    coolfactorAmberNeelyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Loving the ducks.
    coolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Doesn’t show much. 
    edited November 2019 pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Super impressive inside shots, way different than the drone coverage.

Fascinating what humans can achieve when they have a vision and the resources.

We miss you Steve.
    minicoffeeSoliwatto_cobrarundhvid
  • Reply 6 of 17
    His YouTube channel has some awesome hiking videos. This looks like the only one where he's indoors. : )
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Says video is not available 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    If any of you have seen the drab office park that once belonged to H-P at the same location it is stunning what has been done.

Sure would have been nice if Steve had lived to see the finished project. He thought it important enough to go to the city council in person to pitch the project for approval in his last public appearance. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Doesn’t show much. 
    Some people just can’t be impressed. It’s in their nature. Couldn’t Apple have just built a corrugated steel quonset hut and lowered the price of the MBP? /s
    minicoffeeCarnagewatto_cobrarundhvid
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Awesome, what a pure delight. I would so love to work in a space like that.

Except for this centered type, lol.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Why oh why did they have to use fish eye? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Beautiful!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Says video is not available 
    Go back to the main Appleinsider menu and then click on the article again. This time instead of hitting the play button tap on the three dots top right corner of the video preview. Hit the share button and email it to yourself. It will open up in YouTube and you can watch it there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Impressive. Loves the duck. The view from top level must be magnificent. I would love to work there with such a view, it would be like giving me inspiration for the next iPhone design. Just 1 thing, why use fish eye camera? Or are everything curved?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    zoetmb said:
    I don't know if I could get any work done if I was employed there.  I'd be staring out the windows all day and in nice weather, wanting to sit outside.  Does look beautiful though.  The scene where you could see people walking on various levels of the building in the background looked fake (even though it wasn't).   If that scene was in a movie, I would have said that the background figures were CGI.  

Wonder which camera they used for capture.  
    Looks to be a GoPro in superwide mode.  When shooting structures he should have used 2.7k Linear mode. Much better result without all that curvature distortion at the edges.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17

The problem with centered type is the irregular margins that make it difficult for the eye to scan. If the lines are wide enough to minimize that jaggedness, it's not so bad. Wouldn't want to read a book that way, but, for a sign like this, I don't mind. Nice, clear typeface, after all. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    cincytee said:

The problem with centered type is the irregular margins that make it difficult for the eye to scan. If the lines are wide enough to minimize that jaggedness, it's not so bad. Wouldn't want to read a book that way, but, for a sign like this, I don't mind. Nice, clear typeface, after all. :)
    Yeah to me centered type almost always looks haphazard and harder to read in most uses. In my uni design course we were really into alignment. The same things that make it unpleasant for a book make it unpleasant for a big wall of text, just for a shorter amount of time.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra