Apple begins construction of new campus in Austin, Texas

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35

jbdragon said:
    Soli said:
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?
    Because California and in particular San Fran have no pleasant future outcome. Dead state walking. People and businesses are fleeing.

I recently started a new company in the US. My heart has always been in California, but from a business POV it didn't get a look in. Florida or Texas. Florida won.
    Um, no. California is the 5th largest economy in the world. It's not going to simply die. What is happening, is Apple, like all companies, are moving to location where there are resources that are yet untapped, which for this type of facility means that Austin is a good fit.

Your distorted feelings about California are not new and yet Apple completed an HQ right now the road from its previous HQ. So why would Apple do that if the writing was on the wall that companies were fleeing CA because, as you put it, is a "dead state walking"? Do you think Apple is that daft at operations? I don't, but if you do you probably should sell any stock ASAP.
    California is NOT the 5th largest Economy in the world. It used to be many years ago, it's now the 7th largest. California is a craphole. I live here and see it. I'd flee also if the rest of my family also didn't live here.
    Even if you're right...7th largest in the world, oh nos! Terrible! 

Not sure what parts of CA you're spending time in, but I lived there and still visit regularly, it's a fine state. Far better than Louisiana where I am now.
    edited November 2019 Solifastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?
    Because California and in particular San Fran have no pleasant future outcome. Dead state walking. People and businesses are fleeing.

I recently started a new company in the US. My heart has always been in California, but from a business POV it didn't get a look in. Florida or Texas. Florida won.
    Um, no. California is the 5th largest economy in the world. It's not going to simply die. What is happening, is Apple, like all companies, are moving to location where there are resources that are yet untapped, which for this type of facility means that Austin is a good fit.

Your distorted feelings about California are not new and yet Apple completed an HQ right now the road from its previous HQ. So why would Apple do that if the writing was on the wall that companies were fleeing CA because, as you put it, is a "dead state walking"? Do you think Apple is that daft at operations? I don't, but if you do you probably should sell any stock ASAP.
    California actually has the largest outflow of residents of any state in the US, Illinois is a close second I think. CA isn’t dying but it also isn’t growing. I’ve worked with clients in California for 15+ years and there is a very large shift taking place today. I’m seeing so many more companies in NY, Boston, Austin than ever before and less in CA. San Fransisco is a shadow of itself today and not really all that pleasant to visit at the moment. Traffic, pricing, sanitation, taxes, take your pick. There are many factors driving the change and each company has its own reasons of course but so many young companies have realized they don’t need or want to be in CA to build an effective business. And the economic climate in TX is very enticing, without some of the CA upsides sure, but also without many of the CA downsides as well. I’ve always loved CA but it’s not the same today as even 5 years ago.
    Not growing isn't the same as dying, which was claimed. Humorously you also stated "traffic" as a problem there....traffic is a problem when there is high population density. 

Losing some people probably isn't a bad thing for such a populous, desirable, expensive place. 
    On top of that, everything I've read shows that it's still growing…

• Reply 23 of 35
    Soli said:
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?

California actually has the largest outflow of residents of any state in the US, Illinois is a close second I think. CA isn’t dying but it also isn’t growing. I’ve worked with clients in California for 15+ years and there is a very large shift taking place today. I’m seeing so many more companies in NY, Boston, Austin than ever before and less in CA. San Fransisco is a shadow of itself today and not really all that pleasant to visit at the moment. Traffic, pricing, sanitation, taxes, take your pick. There are many factors driving the change and each company has its own reasons of course but so many young companies have realized they don’t need or want to be in CA to build an effective business. And the economic climate in TX is very enticing, without some of the CA upsides sure, but also without many of the CA downsides as well. I’ve always loved CA but it’s not the same today as even 5 years ago.
    Not growing isn't the same as dying, which was claimed. Humorously you also stated "traffic" as a problem there....traffic is a problem when there is high population density. 

Losing some people probably isn't a bad thing for such a populous, desirable, expensive place. 
    Wrong. Nothing EVER stays the same. It either grows or dies.

Traffic is also not a reliable indicator. I'd say part of the volume is due to people driving between multiple jobs to try to make ends meet, or simply driving around looking for a job!
  • Reply 24 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?

Traffic is also not a reliable indicator. I'd say part of the volume is due to people driving between multiple jobs to try to make ends meet, or simply driving around looking for a job!
    LOL So there is no notion of shrining in your world? So if, say, Apple has a quarter that is lower in profits YoY they have died? What a reasonable way to look at everything. /s
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The new Texas facility will become head office once the Cupertino spaceship actually launches.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?
    Austin Texas is a nice small city with a high quality of life. Back in the day I was stationed in San Antonio and spent more than a little time in Austin.

Austin also has a large pool of well educated people and they also have access to the resources of UT Austin for additional studies.

The only real downside is that the peak of summer is like living at the gates of Hell.

All in all, a great place to locate anything involving knowledge workers.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?
    More business friendly than California. Pretty sure Texas gave Apple big incentives to locate there. 
  • Reply 28 of 35
    mocseg said:
    "Building the Mac Pro, Apple's most powerful device ever, in Austin....."
    "The New Apple Mac Pro Will Be Made In China"
    So which one is it?
    Where is the second quote from?  The first one is the case.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-pro-assembled-manufactured-china,39764.html

"Reasoning for moving manufacturing of its new Mac Pro from the U.S. to China is more straightforward. It's reportedly cheaper for Apple to have Quanta Computer make the device in Shanghai than it would be for the company to keep making the system in Texas. That also means the only major product Apple manufactured in the U.S. will be joining the rest of the company's lineup in being made abroad."
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Soli said:
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?

Our micro studio is not growing and surely not dying. 10 years or so. Europe. What should we do now?
    edited November 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Soli said:
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?

Cool speech bro, but that isn't reality. Not growing is certainly not the same as "dying", which connotes a frail morbidity of impending doom. CA is the most populated state out of 50, which is why real estate is so expensive -- it's a highly desirable place to live. A small portion of the population leaving to less expensive states does not suddenly mean CA is dying. You're being absurd.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 31 of 35

entropys said:
    The new Texas facility will become head office once the Cupertino spaceship actually launches.
    Head terrestrial office.
  • Reply 32 of 35

Why Austin?
    Why Texas?
    More business friendly than California. Pretty sure Texas gave Apple big incentives to locate there. 
    By that logic they would have moved their entire office. Nope. In reality, Apple has offices all over the country (and world). They go were the talent is. Austin is a tech hub city, so it certainly makes sense to put an office of IT workers there. Why wouldn't you?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 35

mocseg said:
    Soli said:
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?

Our micro studio is not growing and surely not dying. 10 years or so. Europe. What should we do now?
    Hope you planned the wake, you're one foot in the grave. "Shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders" right? :)
    fastasleepmocseg
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Apple has had operations, in Austin, for over 30 years. Austin is an attractive location for a number of reasons: - Central location within the US - Plentiful land to build new facilities - Relatively affordable housing (as compared to the Bay Area) - Diverse and well-educated population - Lower taxes (no personal state income tax) than California - Cool, hip music scene :-) On the downside, Austin is oppressively hot and humid for much of the year. Traffic is also pretty bad and although the price of gas is cheaper, using the toll roads costs $$$. I travel, to Austin, frequently for work and it's definitely one of my favorite cities. If I was a young person, looking to buy a house, start a family, etc. Austin would be very attractive especially compared to the high cost of living in the Bay Area...
    fastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Why Austin?
    Why Texas?

Maybe that's the bottom line, 'cause Stone Cold says so?