Apple cancels 'The Banker' premiere at AFI Fest, streaming plans unknown

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2019
Apple on Wednesday cancelled the planned premiere of Apple TV+ movie "The Banker" after "concerns" arose last week involving the son of the film's main subject.

The Banker
Anthony Mackie and Samuel L. Jackson in "The Banker."

Initially scheduled to screen as a closing night film at AFI Fest on Thursday, Apple pulled "The Banker" at the last minute, leaving event planners scrambling, reports Deadline. The festival has since elected to show Netflix's "Marriage Story" in its place.

"We purchased The Banker earlier this year as we were moved by the film's entertaining and educational story about social change and financial literacy," Apple said in a statement. "Last week some concerns surrounding the film were brought to our attention. We, along with the filmmakers, need some time to look into these matters and determine the best next steps. In light of this, we are no longer premiering The Banker at AFI Fest."

"The Banker" is based on a true story about two African American businessmen who in the 1960s trained a working class white man to be the figurehead of a successful real estate and banking empire. Anthony Mackie stars as the late Bernard Garrett Sr., while Samuel L. Jackson plays Joe Morris.

Deadline reports a family member of the Garretts leveled "troubling allegations" about Bernard Garrett Jr., who is not depicted in the movie, and shared those claims with a trade paper that plans to run a story on the subject. Garrett Jr. was a consultant on the film and has participated in promotional activity, the report says.

Apple was slated to release "The Banker" in theaters on Dec. 6, to be followed by a streaming debut on Apple TV+ sometime in 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    The Banker too edgy for you Tim? 
  • Reply 2 of 38
    That's not even what's being alleged here. So please, spare us the clumsy trolling. It was *clearly explained* in the article that the person in question is not in the movie and has nothing to do with the content. But you knew that, didn't you?
    ktappelkruppStrangeDaysronnluisfrocharazorpitlolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 38
    I think Apple should tread carefully what they gonna show in AppleTV+ until it matures.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    To make interesting content you need to have guts...

If you cancel things the first time some idiot has some objections, then might as well close shop.

Except if you run a network for children and "will-accept-anything" sci-fi fanbois, like Disney...
    DAalsethspinnydbadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 38
    ”educational story about social change”.

and this is where apple is missing the mark.

people only want to be entertained.  escapism. 
    Not educated on social change.  

lkruppspinnydapple ][stageofhistory
  • Reply 6 of 38

That's your opinion. Obviously. You have no idea what people want.
    raulcristianStrangeDaysronnPaulLlolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 38
    I was looking forward to this movie.  Any project this big you’re gonna find some shady individuals somewhere.  I wish cancel culture and perpetually offended idiots would go away.  
    spinnydwilliamh
  • Reply 8 of 38
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    pigybank said:
    I was looking forward to this movie.  Any project this big you’re gonna find some shady individuals somewhere.  I wish cancel culture and perpetually offended idiots would go away.  
    So, you want to cancel them?  :p
  • Reply 9 of 38
    That's not even what's being alleged here. So please, spare us the clumsy trolling. It was *clearly explained* in the article that the person in question is not in the movie and has nothing to do with the content. But you knew that, didn't you?
    Then why not air it? If the allegations are about someone who is not depicted in the actual movie, what's the issue? The article didn't explain much at all. I guess those of us who don't know what "Deadline" is are just SOL.
    DAalsethspinnyd
  • Reply 10 of 38

There's a reason one of the most popular channels right now is the Hallmark Channel. No controversy. No ridiculous value signaling. Just good, plain fun. A lot of people--myself included--are sick of being lecture by the shows we watch or used to watch. We've gotten rid of several shows that we regularly watched because they became far more preachy than entertaining. 

After all, isn't this really about entertaining people? 
    mobirdentropyslkruppspinnydapple ][trashman69
  • Reply 11 of 38
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Exactly what are the "concerns?" It didn't say anything.
    spinnydrazorpit
  • Reply 12 of 38

Uh huh. This is why Stephen Colbert, the most socially-critical host of late-night, has the highest-rated show.
    edited November 2019 StrangeDaysronnlolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 38
    There's a reason one of the most popular channels right now is the Hallmark Channel.
    The masses have always veered towards bread & circuses. Thankfully those of us who don't want pabulum now have choice to see intelligent shows such as this one seems to be.
    StrangeDaysronnlolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I saw the allegations. If true, then Apple got conned into making this movie and yes, they should just cancel it. Never release it. Burn the film, delete the files, whatever.
    williamh
  • Reply 15 of 38
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I don’t know about that Apple ][. The allegations are not proven. Why not be cautious for a bit and see how they play out?

Anyway, this carry on certainly raises the profile of the movie if you have a cynical bent.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    entropys said:
    I don’t know about that Apple ][. The allegations are not proven. Why not be cautious for a bit and see how they play out?

Anyway, this carry on certainly raises the profile of the movie if you have a cynical bent.
    Of course theyre unproven, which is why I wrote “if true”.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Apple is about Nanny Culture.  Maybe making big boy movies isn’t your cup of tea. 

Let me guess. Bernard Garrett Jr made a gay joke when he was a teen.  Maybe he was seen with a Free Tibet t-shirt on or tweeted support for Hong Kong. This should be a whole lot of fun
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Yup. Troll is as troll does. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 38

Hmm. Yeah so the producers and viewers of all sorts of civil rights movies would disagree with you. 

Funny how old white guys are the most triggered snowflakes of all. 
    edited November 2019 ronnCarnagelolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Apple is about Nanny Culture.  Maybe making big boy movies isn’t your cup of tea. 

Let me guess. Bernard Garrett Jr made a gay joke when he was a teen.  Maybe he was seen with a Free Tibet t-shirt on or tweeted support for Hong Kong. This should be a whole lot of fun
    He is accused of sexually molesting his younger sisters. Is that a harmless joke to you? He was credited and billed as a producer on The Banker, so that is certainly the business of its owner and distributor. 
    tylersdad said:

There's a reason one of the most popular channels right now is the Hallmark Channel. No controversy. No ridiculous value signaling. Just good, plain fun. A lot of people--myself included--are sick of being lecture by the shows we watch or used to watch. We've gotten rid of several shows that we regularly watched because they became far more preachy than entertaining. 

After all, isn't this really about entertaining people? 
    Such as what shows? That you had to stop watching due to preaching?
    edited November 2019 ronnlolliverfastasleep