Apple hires National Geographic podcast producer, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple might be on the verge of entering the original podcast market, as a report on Thursday alleges the tech giant recently poached a prominent podcast producer and former NPR journalist from National Geographic.

Podcasts
Apple's Podcasts app.

Citing an unnamed source, Inside claims Apple has hired Emily Ochsenschlager, current Deputy Director of podcasts at National Geographic and former producer and editor at NPR, to produce original content for a rumored slate of in-house podcasts.

Ochsenschlager is "the first of many [content hires] for [Apple] in the coming weeks," the source said, suggesting Apple is quickly building out an original content team.

The Nat Geo producer in a tweet earlier this week said the company is seeking additional podcast producers. The missive could be a hint that Nat Geo is looking to replace Ochsenschlager or, alternatively, it might nullify Inside's claims.

"Podcast Producers! Interested in joining a fun, dynamic podcast team covering the natural world, science and archaeology? Nat Geo is looking for experienced podcast producers to join our growing team. This job is based in DC and if you're interested DM me!" the tweet reads.

According to a report in July, Apple plans to fund its own podcasts as part of a wider push into original content across services like Apple Music and Apple TV+. The resulting podcasts would be distributed exclusively through Apple's Podcasts app, a tactic currently used to great effect by streaming music competitor Spotify.

In addition to generating its own content, Apple is supposedly in talks with media companies to secure exclusive hosting rights for popular podcasts.

Currently, Apple's stake in the podcasting field starts and ends with replays of certain special events and quarterly earnings conference calls.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Does anyone listen to podcasts?  I’ve streamed them from websites (sports related) but that’s about it.  I’m not sure how they can compete with YouTube, which is easily searchable, or audio books...

People use Facebook (communication) Twitter (opinions, video clips) TickTok (skits)...

I’ve never heard a young person mentioning podcasts.

Podcasts seem kind of obsolete...

IA has podcasts but I’ve never listened to them... I read faster than they talk.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Re: “Currently, Apple's stake in the podcasting field starts and ends with replays of certain special events and quarterly earnings conference calls.”

I’ve watched videos of Apple’s events, and written summaries (+video clips).  It would be interesting to see how many people gravitate to each medium.

Apple must see potential... I don’t.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I listen to podcasts every day. Video is not universally better than audio, it depends on (as usual) use case. You can work or do other tasks while listening to audio. 
    lolliverapplesnorangesn2itivguygregoriusmdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I listen to podcasts every day. Video is not universally better than audio, it depends on (as usual) use case. You can work or do other tasks while listening to audio. 
    What do you listen to?  And, when?

I suppose I have a single minded focus.  I could listen to a podcast in the car or laying on the beach, but nothing requiring concentration... it would just be background noise.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Does anyone listen to podcasts?  I’ve streamed them from websites (sports related) but that’s about it.  I’m not sure how they can compete with YouTube, which is easily searchable, or audio books...

People use Facebook (communication) Twitter (opinions, video clips) TickTok (skits)...

I’ve never heard a young person mentioning podcasts.

Podcasts seem kind of obsolete...

IA has podcasts but I’ve never listened to them... I read faster than they talk.
    Yes, lots of people listen to podcasts. What a bizarre question. Ever hear of Serial? S-Town? Criminal? The Dropout? StarTalk? Stuff You Should Know? WTF with Marc Maron? Radiolab? This American Life? There are TONS of hit podcasts with huge audiences. Those are just a few that I listen to. My favorite that I just finished was this one: https://www.theendwithjosh.com

Podcasts are "easily searchable" too, not sure what you mean.
    StrangeDaysapplesnorangesmatrix077n2itivguygregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    What do you listen to?  And, when?

I suppose I have a single minded focus.  I could listen to a podcast in the car or laying on the beach, but nothing requiring concentration... it would just be background noise.
    Tech, fitness, horror, politics, human interest. I listen in the shower (BT speaker showerhead), in the car, while working, etc. 
    n2itivguygregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I listen to Podcasts on my daily commute. Probably one of the most entertaining podcasts I've heard are from Scott Auckerman and Adam Scott. They did a series covering all the R.E.M albums. To get an idea as to how off-topic they get, their episodes are sometimes 2-3 times longer than the albums that they cover!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I listen to podcasts every day...moonrise, embedded, fresh air, the daily, what’s next, democracy now, s-town, butterfly effect, KPCC filmweek, washington post, the new yorker etc etc.

honestly it has replaced all versions of radio for me....like how streaming has displaced cable.  it is the future and the fact that it has become so high quality and free astounds me.

the field is so crowded though...but Apple has pulled this off before.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I'd love to see Apple do something like a "You Can Code" video podcast for aspiring software developers and programmers. Generally speaking, anything providing an educational and discovery slant across a broad spectrum of technological, social, humanities, art, music, etc., topics produced with an Apple level of quality would be good. We already have a plethora of choices for entertainment, politics, sports, and mindless drivel available in all media formats and in endless quantity. The collective human brain of American society is turning into mush.   
    watto_cobra