Apple delays 'The Banker' theatrical and streaming release on inaccuracy, sexual abuse cla...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
Apple has elected to delay the release of its original movie "The Banker," originally slated to debut in theaters on Dec. 6, as filmmakers investigate allegations of historical inaccuracy and sexual misconduct.

The Banker
Samuel L. Jackson and Anthony Mackie in "The Banker."

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Variety on Friday reports the later theatrical bow will also push back a planned January release on the Apple TV+ streaming service.

Filmmakers are investigating claims of historical inaccuracies and sexual misconduct on the part of co-producer and consultant Bernard Garrett Jr., whose father is the subject of the film. The accusations were leveled last week by Cynthia Garrett, a woman who claims Garrett Jr. is her half brother, the report said. Garrett Jr. is not depicted in the film.

"The Banker" was set to premiere at the AFI Fest on Thursday, but Apple decided to pull the movie on Wednesday. The company in a statement did not specify why it elected to scrub the showing at the eleventh hour, saying only that it was investigating "concerns" surrounding the film.

"We purchased The Banker earlier this year as we were moved by the film's entertaining and educational story about social change and financial literacy," Apple said at the time. "Last week some concerns surrounding the film were brought to our attention. We, along with the filmmakers, need some time to look into these matters and determine the best next steps. In light of this, we are no longer premiering The Banker at AFI Fest."

"The Banker" is based on a true story about two African American businessmen who in the 1960s trained a working class white man to be the figurehead of a successful real estate and banking empire. Anthony Mackie stars as the late Bernard Garrett Sr., while Samuel L. Jackson plays Joe Morris.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) That's too bad, because this story seems great.

2) This is the first time I've seen an issue like this affect people not in a film. The closest I can see is that the accused son of the main character was consulted for the project.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 20
    So far, I've seen some seriously edgy and highly thoughtful videos coming out of Apple TV+. Far from the pablum some on this forum were predicting, this stuff is not pulling any punches. The adult fare is in fact adult fare.

It would be a shame if what looks to be yet another edgy and thoughtful offering gets permanently pulled due to some individual's failings. Hopefully, a way forward can be found to release this film I was personally looking forward to.
    edited November 2019 gilly33watto_cobracornchipnapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 3 of 20
    What does Cynthia Garret want if her allegations are proven to be true? Is she doing this cleanse her soul of long held grievances or is she doing this for her supposed cut of the money that is going to her alleged half brother?

watto_cobrallamacornchip
  • Reply 4 of 20
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Soli said:
    1) That's too bad, because this story seems great.

2) This is the first time I've seen an issue like this affect people not in a film. The closest I can see is that the accused son of the main character was consulted for the project.
    I think it's the "inaccuracy" issue.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    sacto joe said:
    So far, I've seen some seriously edgy and highly thoughtful videos coming out of Apple TV+. Far from the pablum some on this forum were predicting, this stuff is not pulling any punches. The adult fare is in fact adult fare.

It would be a shame if what looks to be yet another edgy and thoughtful offering gets permanently pulled due to some individual's failings. Hopefully, a way forward can be found to release this film I was personally looking forward to.
    After watching the prayer ritual in the first couple episodes of "See", I'm not too worried about Apple being edgy enough. Good show so far. It's no Mandalorian (which is spectacular) but still it's good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    What does Cynthia Garret want if her allegations are proven to be true? Is she doing this cleanse her soul of long held grievances or is she doing this for her supposed cut of the money that is going to her alleged half brother?
    You stated no option that it could be about justice even at the risk of her own quality of life and excessive cost, by not letting another sexual predator get away without due justice for the violent crimes he's committed, or even trying to keep her half-brother from getting wealthy off  what may be lies that are becoming canon in the film. But all you can see is that it's abut her needing to cleanse her own soul (because she's a fragile woman?) and about her getting paid (because she's greedy)? Those were really the only two options you saw from the claims by her and her sister?
    sandorretrogustoCloudTalkindysamoriaronn
  • Reply 7 of 20
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Soli said:
    You stated no option that it could be about justice even at the risk of her own quality of life and excessive cost, by not letting another sexual predator get away without due justice for the violent crimes he's committed, or even trying to keep her half-brother from getting wealthy off  what may be lies that are becoming canon in the film. But all you can see is that it's abut her needing to cleanse her own soul (because she's a fragile woman?) and about her getting paid (because she's greedy)? Those were really the only two options you saw from the claims by her and her sister?
    My question is why do these things always suddenly come up after years of planning and shooting? 
    gilly33watto_cobrawilliamlondonllamacornchip
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Soli said:
    First, I stated nothing about fragility. There is nothing fragile about her from my point of view. 

Second, you typed, “her and her sister”. This article does not reference two sisters. The article references an alleged sister. 

Third, those were the two options I saw and stand by. You not liking those options is 100% your problem. 

Though I do not need to explain my thoughts to you, I will...

Option 1 means she wants to get her truth known and will not accept any money to stop pursuing that truth because the truth means that she can cleanse her soul of the darkness she has had to deal with throughout her life. 

Option 2 means she wants money and will go away once she gets it no matter what the darkness is. 

My options are absolutes which are not allowing any gray areas to hide behind for anybody involved. 
    gilly33
  • Reply 9 of 20
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Don't know about the misconduct part, but most "based on true story" movies are historically inaccurate. Film makers call it "artistic license".

hmurchisonJaiOh81williamlondonflyingdpdysamoriacornchip
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Soli said:
    First, I stated nothing about fragility. There is nothing fragile about her from my point of view. 

Second, you typed, “her and her sister”. This article does not reference two sisters. The article references an alleged sister. 

Third, those were the two options I saw and stand by. You not liking those options is 100% your problem. 

Though I do not need to explain my thoughts to you, I will...

Option 1 means she wants to get her truth known and will not accept any money to stop pursuing that truth because the truth means that she can cleanse her soul of the darkness she has had to deal with throughout her life. 

Option 2 means she wants money and will go away once she gets it no matter what the darkness is. 

My options are absolutes which are not allowing any gray areas to hide behind for anybody involved. 
    You can stand by your options all  you wish, but not including other, obvious reasons and using bias wording that discredits women that come forward isn’t a pretty color on you.
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 20
    hexclock said:
    Don't know about the misconduct part, but most "based on true story" movies are historically inaccurate. Film makers call it "artistic license".

Saying it’s based on a true story doesn’t imply that everything is accurate.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The Garrett family is kind of messy.  The kind of messy that comes from having multiple wives and 8 kids intertwined with money. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    I'm torn on this one. It would certainly be good for the actual, full story about what happened to Cynthia Garrett to come out. On the other hand, I don't see how delaying the release of the film will affect that. 

As for "accuracy", again, the film was made a while ago. There's been *plenty* of time for allegations of inaccuracy to be made and investigated. Why wait until now to "investigate" it? Or are the filmmakers admitting they didn't perform due diligence back when it was time to be doing so? 
    watto_cobrahmurchisonpscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 20
    ktappe said:
    On the other hand, I don't see how delaying the release of the film will affect that. 
    The co-producer and son of the subject of the film is being accused of molesting family members. It wouldn't be responsible to release it without some due diligence. 
    dysamoriaronn
  • Reply 15 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This must be a hell of a problem with making films based on 'true' stories especially anything with less than a few generations having passed. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Perhaps Apple will shortly issue a Banker 1.0.1 update.
    Followed by...
    hmurchison
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Who the F cares?  Release the content and let the market decide.  Just like Tim’s Hong Kong and China policy.

hmurchison
  • Reply 18 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    hexclock said:

It’s so common and so egregious that I’ve taken a strong dislike of such films in general. At this point, if there’s a notable historical story, I’d rather avoid the fictional dramatization of it entirely.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

ktappe said:
    I'm torn on this one. It would certainly be good for the actual, full story about what happened to Cynthia Garrett to come out. On the other hand, I don't see how delaying the release of the film will affect that. 

As for "accuracy", again, the film was made a while ago. There's been *plenty* of time for allegations of inaccuracy to be made and investigated. Why wait until now to "investigate" it? Or are the filmmakers admitting they didn't perform due diligence back when it was time to be doing so? 
    You’re presuming there’s nothing else going on in the world regarding this subject than just what your read about in this article. It’s possible that the very act of doing interviews and research for the making of this film is what woke a sleeping issue (sleeping for the public, but not for anyone else). It’s also possible that the issue has been in some type of process all this time but only became public because of this production.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    You stated no option that it could be about justice even at the risk of her own quality of life and excessive cost, by not letting another sexual predator get away without due justice for the violent crimes he's committed, or even trying to keep her half-brother from getting wealthy off  what may be lies that are becoming canon in the film. But all you can see is that it's abut her needing to cleanse her own soul (because she's a fragile woman?) and about her getting paid (because she's greedy)? Those were really the only two options you saw from the claims by her and her sister? And you make the possibly unwarranted assumption that he was a sexual predator, without knowing anything about the circumstances of her mother's relationship with the man she claims is her father.