'iPhone 12' line expected to use two different OLED screen technologies

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
The three models of 'iPhone 12' expected for 2020 will all have OLED-based screens instead of splitting between LCD and OLED, a report claims, but the two higher-tier models are tipped to continue using a better display than the lower-cost variant.

Rumors about the 2020 batch of 'iPhone 12' models have suggested the possibility of Apple doing away with LCD in favor of OLED across all models. Despite the switch to a single technology, consumers may still notice differences in the displays between the cheapest model and the other two.

According to ETNews, Apple will be sourcing the vast majority of its OLED panels from long-term suppliers Samsung Display and LG Display. BOE was previously predicted to be a supplier for the new models, but there is apparently a "high chance" it will be left out in favor of sticking to two suppliers.

The models are anticipated to be sized at 5.4 inches, 6.1 inches, and 6.7 inches, though there is mention of a fourth model with 5G that will have the same dimensions as one of the other three. Of the trio of screens, Samsung Display is understood to be the sole supplier of the 5.4-inch and 6.7-inch panels, while it will be joined by LG Display for the 6.1-inch version.

The 5.4-inch and 6.7-inch displays will both use an "on-cell touch" panel Samsung refers to as "Y-Octa" technology, effectively eliminating the use of a film for manufacturing the display. This can result in a thinner screen and a lower production cost.

It is unknown what Apple will pay Samsung to secure the supplies of the display, but an industry source told the report of rumors Samsung Display offered "shocking terms in order to obtain an order from Apple."

While Apple is seemingly shifting away from film-based manufacturing for its iPhone displays, it won't do so entirely. The 6.1-inch OLED panels will still use the film touch method, as while LG Display has the capability of producing screens using on-cell touch techniques, it is apparently falling short of Apple's standards in both quality and capacity.

As well as using OLED across the board, supply chain rumors in October suggest next year's versions will also use the high-refresh-rate ProMotion technology, enabling the screens to function at 120Hz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    So are we to read into this that the low end display will be coming from LG? It would seem more likely to me that that would fit better with the so-called 'entry level' device (i.e., the least expensive phone).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    So are we to read into this that the low end display will be coming from LG? It would seem more likely to me that that would fit better with the so-called 'entry level' device (i.e., the least expensive phone).
    while it will be joined by LG Display for the 6.1-inch version.

This source claims both LG and Samsung will supply the 6.1" screen.
    MLancloscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this, but I have difficulty believing the low end phone will be OLED.  The screen is one of the big differentiators, having OLED on the low end is going to push many people that direction.  A faster phone at the high end isn’t enough to spend an additional $300+.

Now if the low end OLED is relatively low quality (not likely knowing Apple) people might just not upgrade or buy the discounted previous generation.

The only reason I can think of, of going all OLED is to keep a uniform design and it’s not possible with LCD screens...like a zero bezel design.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 31
    The predecessor to the iPhone 11 Pro will have a smaller 5.4” display??
    Gaby
  • Reply 5 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Huh? The X, XS and 11 Pro have all had 5.4" displays.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 31
    So is OLED dramatically better on iPhone screens? Do you really notice a difference?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    So is OLED dramatically better on iPhone screens? Do you really notice a difference?
    In a word, no. 

I have a Xs with an OLED screen. My wife just updated her 6s to an 11 with a LCD screen. Her first comment was how great screen looked. Later when she asked what the difference was between her phone and mine, I mentioned the OLED vs LCD screens. She held them up, side by side and couldn't tell the difference. Neither can I for 99% of the use. If I use my phone as a clock on my nightstand, having a black screen rather than a dark charcoal grey screen is nice, but in general, the LCD screens Apple uses are high quality and you won't notice the difference.
    philboogieGeorgeBMacwatto_cobraguscat
  • Reply 8 of 31
    MplsP said:
    In a word, no. 
    Haha. I was about to say "absolutely, the blacks are so much better." I guess it's very subjective.

mike1 said:
    no, they're 5.8". 

The iPhone SE (the whole device, not the screen) was exactly 5.39" diagonal, so this would be a new small size class, or a return depending on how you look at it…
    canukstormphilboogiewatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 31
    If Apple really does manage to get rid of the notch, I could see the screen going back to 16:9 again. 
    caladanianwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 31
    This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this, but I have difficulty believing the low end phone will be OLED.  The screen is one of the big differentiators, having OLED on the low end is going to push many people that direction.  A faster phone at the high end isn’t enough to spend an additional $300+.

Now if the low end OLED is relatively low quality (not likely knowing Apple) people might just not upgrade or buy the discounted previous generation.

The only reason I can think of, of going all OLED is to keep a uniform design and it’s not possible with LCD screens...like a zero bezel design.
    Another reason could be possible cost reduction by going completely OLED.  All supposition by me but, the addition of LG as a supplier could have lowered the cost of the standard OLED panels.  That, coupled with OLED volume and scale reducing cost over time, LCD may have lost it's cost advantages.  More supposition: Sammy wanting a substantial customer for it's top of the line Y-Octa panels probably offered Apple pricing concessions across their OLED line.  Considering Apple pretty much funded LG's small panel OLED development, I can't imagine the cost of their panels was significant.  If any or all of what I'm guessing is even remotely true, LCD would be the odd man out.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 11 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    mike1 said:
    while it will be joined by LG Display for the 6.1-inch version.

This source claims both LG and Samsung will supply the 6.1" screen.
    I'd expect LG to supply the OLED for the cheapest of the three. Samsung the other two. No way they mix screens from two sources on the same model. It would be inviting the same lottery discussions that followed the "what modem do I have, QC or Intel"  a few years ago. 
    edited November 2019 philboogiemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 31
    If this is accurate, Japan Display is surely dead.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    viclauyyc said:
    If this is accurate, Japan Display is surely dead.
    I think Apple has other plans for Japan Display screens. 
    GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 14 of 31
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    Might want to see a ophthalmologist.

In a word, no. 

I have a Xs with an OLED screen. My wife just updated her 6s to an 11 with a LCD screen. Her first comment was how great screen looked. Later when she asked what the difference was between her phone and mine, I mentioned the OLED vs LCD screens. She held them up, side by side and couldn't tell the difference. Neither can I for 99% of the use. If I use my phone as a clock on my nightstand, having a black screen rather than a dark charcoal grey screen is nice, but in general, the LCD screens Apple uses are high quality and you won't notice the difference.

• Reply 15 of 31
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    mike1 said:
    Uhm no.... 5.8” in point of fact. That’s why this holds no water in my opinion. 
    watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Tim's next F U to Job's legacy. Job's wanted all of their devices to be visually similar as far as pixel density, resolution, and panel technology so that if you look at an image on one device, it will look the same on the other. But nah we need to bring the old "Apple tax" fodder to a whole new level. Ironic, as they go back to an iPhone 4 like bezel, you know, during the time Job's was still innovating.

Tim has ruined Apple for me, and them switching to ARM used to excite me to no end. Now I don't care at all.
    canukstormphilboogie
  • Reply 17 of 31
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    MplsP said:
    In a word, no. 

It makes an enormous difference, particularly to content; especially so with HDR, and particularly the 11pro line with Dolby vision etc, not to mention differences with outdoor viewing. I mean the new 11 pro has typical home screen brightness of 957 nits. Average brightness 800-902nits - higher outdoors. And HDR content up to a measured 1090 full screen white which peaks at up to 1290 nits for smaller(20%) areas of screen. And believe me, this is not me geeking out at numbers - this is readily apparent to anyone that isn’t A.) blind as a bat, or B.) one of those people that float through life not really paying attention. (You know the sort that never notice a change in your appearance) It is major for anyone with a critical eye, or photographer/videographers. Truly a marvel of engineering. I know it’s small scale but this beats out Panasonic’s custom OLED reference monitors! And they’re stunning. 
    That is not to diminish Apple LCD’s - they’re state of the art, and very accurate. But they don’t hold a candle to this new generation at least. 
    edited November 2019 watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 31
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    GooeyGUI said:
    Tim's next F U to Job's legacy. Job's wanted all of their devices to be visually similar as far as pixel density, resolution, and panel technology so that if you look at an image on one device, it will look the same on the other. But nah we need to bring the old "Apple tax" fodder to a whole new level. Ironic, as they go back to an iPhone 4 like bezel, you know, during the time Job's was still innovating.

Tim has ruined Apple for me, and them switching to ARM used to excite me to no end. Now I don't care at all.
    I'd like to see a source quote on that claim?

I suspect if there is one it would relate to iPad and Mini and was probably one of those throw away comments Jobs was so good at. You know the ones that told you they were thinking about it, throw the expected sideways. He had a remarkable way of saying not yet without leaving an expectation so people are still shocked when they do it 12months later.

netmagewatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Gaby said:
    mike1 said:
    Uhm no.... 5.8” in point of fact. That’s why this holds no water in my opinion. 
    The rumor has been for months 5.4/6.7”, instead of 5.8/6.5” for the Pro/Pro Max, multiple sources including Kuo, who time and again nails the display sizes. The previous rumor of 5G on all three, which never made sense unless the prices for the 12/12 Pro and 12 Pro Max were going to be $999, $1,299 and $1,399 (i.e. no chance in hell), or if 5G was an optional upgrade.

Now we’re starting to get more nuanced rumors, such as ProMotion for the Pro models, 5G optional and only available on one model, which could be the 5.4” or the 6.7”; I suppose the 6.7” is most likely. The Y-octa tech makes no difference, that’s all about cost. 
    edited November 2019 doozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 31
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Absolutely yes! The blacks are blackest on OLED. No backlit "glow" so it does make a difference, big time. You'll notice it mostly if you're in a dim room and you're watching a movie which may have letterbox that appear to be washed out.
    caladanianwatto_cobra