Apple Maps, Weather app now shows Crimea as Russian territory

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    That's because it is Russian territory, whether or not you people recognize it. Countries are territories that political entities claim and rule by force.
    edited November 2019 cy_starkmanStrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 100
    svanstrom said:
    svanstrom said:
    Never would have guessed that I’d go from long term Apple fanboy to phasing out Apple products due to them sucking up to China and Russia. Crazy times. 

spliff monkey said:
    Jesus Christ. I’ve owned Apple computers since they were beige. I’ve had enough. Legitimately done. 

This is disgusting. What a topper to Kowtowing to China and fucking over Hong Kong protesters. 

I think this is the proverbial straw for me.  
    Hope you aren’t planning to switching to Google — they did the same thing:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/27/apple-and-google-maps-accommodate-russias-annexation-of-crimea/

...because that’s the law in Russia, and they’re required to follow the law in the countries they do business in. Only other option is to pull out of Russia. Perhaps worth it, I don’t know. I’d love for them to give Putin the finger and exit Russia. But it’s silly to say Apple shouldn’t follow the law they’re currently compelled to follow if they wish to operate in Russia. 
    Well, let me just invoke Godwin's law here as an example of how just obeying the law isn't always the right thing to do.
    So changing how Maps displays a border for users in one country to follow its laws equals Nazis? Cool hyperbole.
    wonkothesaneStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 100
    the more interesting story here is that a country is recognising that tech companies are more powerful in defining reality than they are.

also, russia is not demanding countries throw out all their maps, globes and atlases - for fear of sanctions etc.

the nation state is giving way to incorporated global thought franchises. In this case the populations of Apple and Google.

Either have populations larger than China or India. (note: i am including the children attached to the registered accounts/device owners)
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 24 of 100
    3 tour combat Marine here which I usually keep to myself but I find Apples pandering to murderous dictstorships as disgusting as Trumps. 
    We are supposed to be different. We are less and less. 
    Anything for a buck Apple?
    svanstrommontrosemacs80s_Apple_GuyPeza1983Carnageuraharadavgregpropodspliff monkey
  • Reply 25 of 100
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    snookie said:
    3 tour combat Marine here which I usually keep to myself but I find Apples pandering to murderous dictstorships as disgusting as Trumps. 
    Do you recognized Puerto Rico as a territory of the US?
    wonkothesaneRayz2016StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 100
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    snookie said:
    Apple is trying to be of service to the entire world. There are times, including in the US, that local governments require something that other countries don't like. That's the way it is and just because we as Americans feel anything we do is always correct and the other person or country is always wrong doesn't make it so. Apple is a multinational company with employees all over the world and, I believe, investors all over the world. It's headquartered in the US but it also has to follow the laws of the countries it does business in. Just because you're in the military doesn't mean everyone in the US has the same views as you do. In fact, I'm trying to remember when the last war the US was involved in was actually authorized by Congress. Probably WWII. 
    wonkothesanelostkiwiStrangeDayssmiffy31uraharaMacPro
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Obama and his “flexible”policies gave Crimea to Russia anyways. 
    razorpit1983
  • Reply 28 of 100
    That's because it is Russian territory, whether or not you people recognize it. Countries are territories that political entities claim and rule by force.

Do you recognized Puerto Rico as a territory of the US?
    Totally agreed.

People‘s attitudes nowadays are so uninformed about how countries and territories are decided. And doubly naive to think wars and forced takeovers are a thing of the past. This will always be part of humanity.

Even the current cultural wars in the US are most certainly ‘assisted’ by people wishing to make the US crumble. Many in our country don’t see ‘social justice’ being exploited well beyond reason and intelligence for the sole purpose of destroying our culture. It’s being used as a weapon against us, and at least half of the country is too gullible to notice.
    lostkiwiMacProdonjuan
  • Reply 29 of 100
    The people of Crimea want to be a part of Russia, go there and see for yourself.
    donjuan
  • Reply 30 of 100
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    svanstrom said:
    Never would have guessed that I’d go from long term Apple fanboy to phasing out Apple products due to them sucking up to China and Russia. Crazy times. 
    Problem is this is every tech company now. They are pushing each other out of the way to prostrate themselves on the alter of political correctness and “worldly acceptance “.
    lostkiwidonjuan
  • Reply 31 of 100
    This is a new low for Apple.

what is next? China own Taiwan?

chemengin1donjuanspliff monkey
  • Reply 32 of 100
    Russia: Nope, we didn’t invade Ukraine and seize Crimea. But, if you don’t recognize Crime as part of Russia you’re breaking the law.

In the last 20 years, we’ve seen the rebirth of the USSR.

Apple Fanboys, don’t expect morality from a corporation.  PR is just that...PR.
    razorpit
  • Reply 33 of 100
    I really wish someone would stick it to Putin.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    The good news is that in a couple of hundred million years or so, the continents will merge into a new super continent, and we can one big, happy family again. 
    fastasleepsmiffy31uraharaMacProdavgreg
  • Reply 35 of 100
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Unfortunately the last president became “more flexible” with Putin and Russia after he was re-elected. 

Would have been nice if the press and congress would have bothered to follow up on that instead of tilting at windmills like they are now.
    donjuan
  • Reply 36 of 100
    razorpit said:
    svanstrom said:
    Problem is this is every tech company now. They are pushing each other out of the way to prostrate themselves on the alter of political correctness and “worldly acceptance “.
    Nope. It’s just obeying the law in other countries. If Russian law requires acknowledging a territory, there’s nothing Apple can do to change that law. That isn’t being PC, that’s being lawful. Only other option is to exist Russia, which I would personally be happy with. 
    Above_The_Gods1983urahara
  • Reply 37 of 100

Russia: Nope, we didn’t invade Ukraine and seize Crimea. But, if you don’t recognize Crime as part of Russia you’re breaking the law.

In the last 20 years, we’ve seen the rebirth of the USSR.

Apple Fanboys, don’t expect morality from a corporation.  PR is just that...PR.
    See above on territories. Russia isn’t claiming they didn’t seize it. They did, and now they’re claiming it’s their territory, which it is until it isn’t. PR doesn’t factor into any of this. 

When the world is tired of aggressive states like Russia and China, the world will do something about it. Don’t expect Apple to curb Russia for you. 
  • Reply 38 of 100

razorpit said:
    Unfortunately the last president became “more flexible” with Putin and Russia after he was re-elected. 

Would have been nice if the press and congress would have bothered to follow up on that instead of tilting at windmills like they are now.
    If you’re honestly trying to suggest Obama was more Putin-friendly than Trump, and failing to understand why current congress standing up to the current president’s allegiance to Putin and Russia is a thing, then you have greater problems than we can solve on this forum. 

The problem in one photo:

edited November 2019 dewmedavgregdedgeckopropodspliff monkey
  • Reply 39 of 100
    Apple is not very freedom focused sometimes, and bends to mere financial reasons, to the chagrin of Cook who pretends he always stands behind what is right and just.  
    rogifan_newspliff monkey
  • Reply 40 of 100
    Apple is not very freedom focused sometimes, and bends to mere financial reasons, to the chagrin of Cook who pretends he always stands behind what is right and just.  
    Prove it. What is the financial reason in Russia? How big are the revenues based on their economy?

Cook has said the reason they stay in countries with laws we don’t agree with, like Russia, China, and Saudi Arabia, is that they feel people there still benefit more from having Apple devices than not having them. 

Women weren’t even allowed to drive in Saudi Arabi until this year, don’t see anybody losing sleep over it. But redrawing the map to show Russian occupation of a territory is a hard stop for you? Ok...
    edited November 2019 fastasleep