Macmall mischief

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
<rant> So I recently buy a new video card.. I noticed *some* performance gain but not as much as I should have, I went from a GeForce2MX to a 8500 all in wonder.

So today the card starts acting funny, I installed it myself so I figured it might be loose or overheating or something. Stuff was disapearing all over the screen and what not.

I open the case and start figiding with the video card and look over and notice that the RAM is in the wrong slots.. J22 and j23, j21 was empty. I move it over into the correct slots and man what a difference. Everything seems to run soooo much better I have not used over 400 meg of RAM yet with ps7 dreamweaver and itunes going plus a shoutcast server. Usually I use up all 1 gig of the RAM. Also When leaving those apps open but not touching anythign my CPU`s (dual 533) idle around 5% instead of the usual 20%..

</rant>

Does having the RAM in the slots really make this big of a difference or is it just because that was the first time sence I got hte machine that I had it off for more than 5 minutes?

EDIT: Oops I spose this should go in current hardware. Doh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yo. Consider it done.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    What does this have to do with Macmall?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

<rant> So I recently buy a new video card.. I noticed *some* performance gain but not as much as I should have, I went from a GeForce2MX to a 8500 all in wonder.

So today the card starts acting funny, I installed it myself so I figured it might be loose or overheating or something. Stuff was disapearing all over the screen and what not.

I open the case and start figiding with the video card and look over and notice that the RAM is in the wrong slots.. J22 and j23, j21 was empty. I move it over into the correct slots and man what a difference. Everything seems to run soooo much better I have not used over 400 meg of RAM yet with ps7 dreamweaver and itunes going plus a shoutcast server. Usually I use up all 1 gig of the RAM. Also When leaving those apps open but not touching anythign my CPU`s (dual 533) idle around 5% instead of the usual 20%..

</rant>

Does having the RAM in the slots really make this big of a difference or is it just because that was the first time sence I got hte machine that I had it off for more than 5 minutes?

EDIT: Oops I spose this should go in current hardware. Doh.

Off Topic a bit, you mentioned that when I was there a while ago when you opened the case to show me where you used to hide your cigarettes so nobody took any... Why didn't you move it over then?.. it was like 3 weeks ago.

Did you get a warranty on the video card?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Macmall put the RAM in when I ordered the machine.

ibrowse: I was showing you where I hid them now showing you the RAM..

and the video card is fine though I`m not sure if its under warenty
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Moving your RAM fixed the video problem? I remember like 3 weeks ago you had it open and you were like "Hey, why's my RAM here? I should move it up a slot... Hey, look, a bird! {insert ADD here} "
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Oh yeah! I remember now. Heh.

Yeah it did fix the video problem, I don`t see how there would be a connection between the two problems but what ever.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

when you opened the case to show me where you used to hide your cigarettes so nobody took any...