Jony Ive removed from Apple's leadership page, marking the end of an era

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    macxpress said:

IVE not IVES

So many people can’t spell a three letter name correctly. It’s crazy. 
    Also its

Mac not MAC!

Mac is not an acronym for anything.
    Oh relax! It’s not the end of the world. 
  • Reply 62 of 93
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It seems to me that strongly driven genius like Ive needs a strongly mitigating force to keep their feet planted on the ground and rooted in reality.  My feeling is that Ive's genius was intact but was left incomplete without Jobs to keep it grounded and centered -- to keep it from soaring away into the clouds..... 

Not that Jobs was 100% grounded and centered -- but the two complimented each other and their whole was greater than the sum of their parts.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    It seems to me that strongly driven genius like Ive needs a strongly mitigating force to keep their feet planted on the ground and rooted in reality.  My feeling is that Ive's genius was intact but was left incomplete without Jobs to keep it grounded and centered -- to keep it from soaring away into the clouds..... 

Not that Jobs was 100% grounded and centered -- but the two complimented each other and their whole was greater than the sum of their parts.
    Absolutely.  Now with the ID team having to answer to Jeff Williams, hopefully he can provide the grounding / centering that the ID team needs.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 64 of 93
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    with all the bashing around Sir Jony, the commoner cross the english channel or other "water" just don't get it.... zzzz!
  • Reply 65 of 93
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    frank777 said:
    volcan said:
    Buy an Apple product, couple years later it quits working. No worries mate, just toss it in the bin and buy a new one. Who cares about the design if it fails so quickly?

My ten-year-old iMac wants to know what you are talking about.
    Recent streak of bad luck I guess. Had a MBP go bad after a couple years. Replaced it with an Air and just recently the screen went bad in less than two years. My iMac 5k failed on the first week. Took two and half weeks to get it repaired. More and a couple iPhone failed prematurely in my opinion.  My first gen Apple Watch was well cared for but fell apart. The screen just came out hanging by the ribbon cable. Again more than two weeks to fix under warranty only to happen again a year later.

I do have a thirteen year old cheese grater that still runs but only because I replaced every single component. The Cinema Display although it turns on the color is awful and the USB port doesn’t work.

i like Apple products and continue to buy them but don’t think they are all that reliable. Sure all computers and devices eventually wear out but lately they seem to fail too soon.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    If he was 27 in September 1992, how is he only 52 in November 2019 ? As a lefty I definitely don't miss Jony's designs. 
  • Reply 67 of 93
    I’ve never been a big fan of Ive. Perhaps it is my bias against the British version of the English language. He seems so pretentious and particularly elite with his royal title.

Perhaps it is just my bias because I am a native Spanish speaker and we still have an ongoing cultural conflict with England. Spanish is such a phonetic language. It just hurts my ears to hear him speak English. I have no problem with American English.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    volcan said:
    I’ve never been a big fan of Ive. Perhaps it is my bias against the British version of the English language. He seems so pretentious and particularly elite with his royal title.

Perhaps it is just my bias because I am a native Spanish speaker and we still have an ongoing cultural conflict with England. Spanish is such a phonetic language. It just hurts my ears to hear him speak English. I have no problem with American English.
    I didn't relize the long term effect of Spanish Armada carried over to nowadays.  Glad to know such a difference between the Queen's language and Amaricanish in Spaniard ears.  Need update AI indeed.  
  • Reply 69 of 93
    Does this mean Apple can get rid of that “flat” interface Jonny forced on the iPhone? 
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 70 of 93
    It did not take years for Apple to design the 2019 MacBook Pro 16" model with the return of the physical escape key and the return of the scissor-mechanism keyboard.  They have had 3 years of complaints and could have easily fixed those issues in 2017.  Now that Ive is gone, Apple was able to release what should have been done in 2017.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    I’m loving the new Mac Pro, the new 16” notebook, the new iPhone, and the series 5. 

Each scream Jony Ive. 
    Ive came up with the 2013 MacPro trash-can, a true failure in design.  It should not take 6+ years to fix that mistake when the 2012 MacPro Tower is what people have always wanted in a Pro machine.  The new 16" MacBook Pro fixes Ive's mistakes with his demands on thinness, creating a mess of a keyboard for 3 years.  There is nothing exciting about the design of the iPhone 11.  The watch series 5 still looks like the watch series 0.  Ive had some great designs over the years, but lately, Apple has been plagued with design failures.  Ive checked out over a year ago, traveling back home and working on setting up his new business.  He wasn't involved in design as much as you think.  The new MacPro is an ugly mess, and overpriced at that.  Same goes for the overpriced display and the ridiculous $999 stand.
  • Reply 72 of 93

crfcom said:
    Steve Jobs and Jony Ive shared the same design instincts and vision. As Apple moves away from Ives, it is also moving away from Job's. It will happen slowly, but it will happen. Sad to see.
    Sad to see that Apple will finally start to produce products that actually work?  Finally rid of the trash can Mac Pro that was a thermal disaster...and 3 years of MacBook/MacBook Pros with failing keyboards.  So how is that sad?
  • Reply 73 of 93
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The new MacPro is an ugly mess, and overpriced at that.  Same goes for the overpriced display and the ridiculous $999 stand.

No, you simply don't understand who the machine is for.

It's a machine built to generate a Halo effect for key Hollywood decision-makers who are deciding between Apple+ and other services.

The Mac Pro for the traditional Mac market won't likely come for another year. All that requires is to downgrade the innards a bit and ship a traditional monitor alongside it. You don't get why the display costs so much because you aren't in the target market.
    GeorgeBMacpscooter63
  • Reply 74 of 93
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    frank777 said:
    The new MacPro is an ugly mess, and overpriced at that.  Same goes for the overpriced display and the ridiculous $999 stand.

No, you simply don't understand who the machine is for.

It's a machine built to generate a Halo effect for key Hollywood decision-makers who are deciding between Apple+ and other services.

The Mac Pro for the traditional Mac market won't likely come for another year. All that requires is to downgrade the innards a bit and ship a traditional monitor alongside it. You don't get why the display costs so much because you aren't in the target market.
    1) You'd think someone that calls themselves "disneylandman" wouldn't be so angry and negative. Maybe it's ironic, like when an extremely large person is called Tiny.

2) It's funny how people asked for a Pro machine with slots but as soon as Apple delivered it they are against it because to make this machine it means it's too expensive for them. They also complain about the optional stand. If Apple had jacked the price by $1000 and included it this wouldn't be an issue because combined it's still considerably less expensive and better than others in its class. Yet another example of Apple providing options just to have it backfire.
    pscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 75 of 93
    volcan said:

He is not a salesman, you know. Not everyone can be a salesman, especially after working with the greatest salesman in human history.
    edited December 2019 canukstorm
  • Reply 76 of 93
    He is not a salesman, you know. Not everyone can be a salesman, especially after working with the greatest salesman in human history.
    If I never hear the word aluminium or bespoke it will be too soon.

To be clear in my earlier post I said I prefer American English but just clarifying the US has some of the most awful linguistic iterations of the language. Only the Midwest and west coast know how to speak it properly. 

The south and New England forget about it

At the risk of being banned, I would much rather hear a fast food worker who speaks perfect Spanish trying speak English than an uneducated American inner city minority speaking hip hop jargon when they have no legitimate language of their own dismissing actual English as irrelevant or not important. I just don’t “git” it.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 77 of 93
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    volcan said:

If by "Greatest Salesman" you mean Jobs -- he wasn't.   He just had the best mouse trap.  All he had to do was show it off -- and he did, with unabashed pride, like a teenager showing off his first car.  People mistook that for salesmanship.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 78 of 93
    I know you’ve gotta pay the bills, AI, but the site is becoming 90% ads and 10% content. Dispiriting. 
  • Reply 79 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    zoetmb said:
    If this means that new design leads at Apple give a little more emphasis to function over form, I'm all for it.   If Apple doesn't return to a machine in which the end-users can replace/upgrade memory, storage and battery, my current late-2016 MacBook Pro will be my last Mac.   It needs a new battery and Apple has quoted $450 for that service.  Although my keyboards have been okay, my daughter recently bought two Macs that have to go back to Apple for keyboard replacement.    And in addition, I think their OS QA has really gotten far worse in recent years.   Every update seems to bring more issues, especially to older applications that had always worked fine.   Sometimes I have to wonder what all these hires at Apple are actually doing.   My personal feeling, observing from a distance, is that Apple has perhaps gotten too large to effectively manage.  I can remember when Apple used to test every single phrase that would be displayed to a user to make sure it conveyed the correct meaning.   Today their language is as bad as Microsoft's and sounds like it was written by programmers.  

I always thought it was a bit insane that the phones got thinner and thinner and Ive would make videos showing how great the back looked and yet, you really had to keep it in a case, because if you dropped it without a case, chances are the phone was destroyed.   So if you had to keep it in a case anyway, what was the point of making it so thin and having reduced battery life because of the limitations on battery size?  

I always thought Ive seemed like he cared how a machine looked, but didn't seem to care too much how it operated.  

That’s untrue. If you ever read an interview with him, you would know that he considered design to be everything. That is, function as well as looks. The two can’t be separated. That doesn’t mean that everything worked as intended, not everything did.

app,es I tend with notebooks, and remember they created the category with the original MacBook Air, was to make notebooks easier to carry. After all, the purpose of a portable is to be able to easily take it everywhere, ideally. The more weight you shave off, the more portable it becomes. Apple possibly went a bit too far, and now they’re pulling back a bit. We have no idea how much he was involved in the design of the 16”Macbook Pro, or the new iPhones, which are also a bit thicker. Since these have been in development for at least a year, and possibly more, it’s likely they have a large Ivy stamp on them.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    timmillea said:
    Steve Jobs over-rated Ive and made him unassailable within Apple. The consequences of that have hit Apple - the disastrous 'Trash Can' Mac Pro, the iMacs and MacBooks which became essentially 'disposable' and all in the name of aesthetics. His reach went too far and unchallenged. His influence will live on but hopefully in a more measured dose.
    Guys like you should just lurk. You know nothing about what Apple decided about to go that route with the Mac Pro. You have no idea when and how Ivy and his design team was involved. This was a highly involved technical and marketing decision. I have no doubt that marketing (Schiller, etc al) wanted Apple to go in a different direction, and went to engineering and asked what they could do. Then, and only then, after engineering came up with some ideas, would Ivy get involved. Then, they would design it together, with the engineering teams taking the technical lead. That’s they way I did it in my company, and it’s pretty much the way every company does it.

the problem, as Apple said, was that they read the tea leaves wrong. They assumed pros would be using their machines one way, and mostly, they used it a different way. A way that the Mac Pro couldn’t accommodate. My main objection to the whole thing was that they took so long to realize they needed a total change, and that they didn’t update the machine in the years it was out there, which they could have.
    edited December 2019