Only two of four 'iPhone 12' models may support mmWave 5G

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple will be launching four iPhone models with 5G in the second half of 2020, analysts from JP Morgan anticipate, with the group split into two pairs of smaller and larger models, but one pairing will include 3D sensing capabilities on the rear and support for the faster mmWave-based 5G connections.

The 2020 iPhones are widely anticipated to support 5G
The 2020 iPhones are widely anticipated to support 5G

The rumors surrounding the iPhone 12 have pointed to three sizes of device, equipped with OLED displays across the board. In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, JP Morgan believes a fourth will be released in the fall of 2020, with Apple increasing the number of smartphones it ships from the usual trio.

It is expected there will be one model each sporting a 5.4-inch and 6.7-inch display, while two will have 6.1-inch screens. JP Morgan also goes further to suggest the devices will be paired off with two offering higher-tier "Pro" style specifications, while the others will have lesser features.

One 6.1-inch and the 6.7-inch models will be the higher-end pairing, which will include a rear triple camera setup and "World-facing 3D sensing." This is likely to be offered using VCSELs, as brought up in earlier speculation about the models.

The other two, consisting of the 5.4-inch model and the other 6.1-inch variant, will have dual cameras on the rear and no 3D sensing.

While all will include 5G connectivity, the tiering of the devices will also introduce variations on this feature, as only the higher-tier pair will include support for mmWave, allowing them to connect at very high speeds in cities and built-up areas where mmWave 5G is offered. All models, however, will support the sub-6GHz 5G spectrum which is to be more widespread and robust than mmWave, albeit with far slower speeds.

According to JP Morgan, all four will be "driving potential acceleration in replacement cycles." The four will also be offered in the same year as an anticipated release of the second-generation iPhone SE, which is expected to ship with a 4.7-inch LCD display in the first half of 2020.

Apple is speculated to alter its iPhone release strategy in 2021, with JP Morgan using supply chain checks to propose a "strategic change in launch cadence" is on the way "to smooth seasonality." The change in cadence would apparently result in the release of two new iPhone models in the first half of 2021, followed by another two in the second half of the year.

As well as helping settle seasonality issues for the supply chain and revenue, the move is reasoned to help Apple "compete favorably against continuous launches from competitive OEMs throughout the year." The schedule would also limit the downside from "product cycle missteps," as it would allow Apple to tweak design aspects with a six-month timeframe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If the article details turn out true or close than in changing customer behavior and market place, Apple have learned fast, so well offering right mix of features in product at various price point that is easier to accept for customers. The iPhone 11, 16" Macbook Pro are recent examples. Apple somehow finds the winning formula.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 2 of 11
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    5 phones in one year and 2 versions of 5G?    Wow,  hard to believe they would do 5 new phones.  As for the 5G,  talk about confusion for the average Joe consumer who does not follow tech stuff...  who may already have the infamous 5Ge showing right now.
    doozydozencaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Do these J P Morgan analysts just pull this stuff out of their asses? Who are they talking to to have come up with this or is it just daydreaming?
    edited December 2019 chabig
  • Reply 4 of 11
    AB101AB101 Posts: 27member
    I imagine one will have to pay for the privilege next year.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    With the exception of 5G iPhones supporting different 5G versions, this looks exactly like what I've been saying they need to do for a few years now. The reasoning is the same too.

If it happens, I think it is long overdue but very necessary, so no criticism from me on that part.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Can we get a hero to create a simple list of expected models?? And then give them all the likes. I’m not understanding the purported iPhone 12 lineup as described in this article. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    So it would be something like:

$700 5.4” cheap OLED, sub-6 5G, 2 rear cam
    $800 6.1” cheap OLED, sub-6 5G, 2 rear cam

$1000 6.1” expensive OLED, mmWave, 3 rear cam with TOF
    $1100 6.7” expensive OLED, mmWave, 3 rear cam with TOF

That’s actually a decent segmentation if so. I’m much more excited about the rumored no-notch design though, even if the bezel increases by a couple of millimeters. Looking for that new industrial design with no notch, 6-8 GB of RAM, and 512 GB storage. Not so excited for 5G or new cameras at all. Also, would love it if the thickness went back to 7 mm and a larger variety of bumper cases came out.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Given what has been said about mm5G this is totally reasonable; there is precious little availability of mm wave 5G now and it will likely never come to the majority of the US, so making a 5G phone without mm wave really doesn’t compromise anything. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    avon b7 said:
    With the exception of 5G iPhones supporting different 5G versions, this looks exactly like what I've been saying they need to do for a few years now. The reasoning is the same too.

If it happens, I think it is long overdue but very necessary, so no criticism from me on that part.
    Yup. Anyone who has paid attention to your posts would agree with this statement. This article reminded me of your past posts on this topic. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tht said:
    So it would be something like:

$700 5.4” cheap OLED, sub-6 5G, 2 rear cam
    $800 6.1” cheap OLED, sub-6 5G, 2 rear cam

$1000 6.1” expensive OLED, mmWave, 3 rear cam with TOF
    $1100 6.7” expensive OLED, mmWave, 3 rear cam with TOF

That’s actually a decent segmentation if so. I’m much more excited about the rumored no-notch design though, even if the bezel increases by a couple of millimeters. Looking for that new industrial design with no notch, 6-8 GB of RAM, and 512 GB storage. Not so excited for 5G or new cameras at all. Also, would love it if the thickness went back to 7 mm and a larger variety of bumper cases came out.
    LEGEND 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    smart move on fruit side - not go bananas on 5G. As long as network pop up with decent edge with 5G deployment, functionwise should be sufficient for normal use. Good migration path to 5G. I would prefer cheap version if good edge function is well covered and wait to 5G on handset to mature - save battery too. Can't wait and see the trade-offs of the two sets in real world (my bet still on the lower spec for the money - less grief, not flashy... but apple users are not known for 'understatement").