iPad Pro with 'A14X' plus 16-inch MacBook Pro with Mini LED display expected in late 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Beyond just a new iPad Pro and MacBook Pro in late 2020 with Mini LED screens, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that Apple will produce between four and six new products with the new technology in the next three years.

Apple's current iPad Pro
Apple's current iPad Pro

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is again reporting that he believes Apple will move to producing high end models of the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro, both with Mini LED screens. These displays, said to "significantly improve productivity and the entertainment experience" are expected to be first launched on Apple devices in late 2020 or early 2021, with the rest following before the end of 2022. Kuo has previously predicted iPad Pro improvements, and higher-quality MacBook Pro display, but now he offers more detail about the specifics of the display.

LED and Mini LED screens are expected to be comparable to OLED displays, but without the production issues or potential for burn-in. Moving to Mini LED could also reduce Apple's reliance on Samsung's OLED manufacturing.

According to Kuo, the Mini LED screens will be produced by LG Display. GIS, Osram, TSMT, Sharp, Nichia, and Sanan are also named as component suppliers for the technology. Kuo believes that GIS and LG display will be the "most critical integrators."

Apple has previously been reported developing both Mini and Micro LED displays with Epistar and others.

Kuo says that the new iPad Pro will be released in the third calendar quarter of 2020 with an "A14X" processor. A refresh to the 16-inch MacBook Pro is predicted for the fourth quarter of 2020. Kuo did not predict what he expects Mini LED displays to arrive with.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I’m assuming that he’s talking about two generations away, and that we’re on track for an early 2020 iPad Pro 12.9”. At least, I hope so. Interesting that I’m reading “mini LED” rather than the “micro LED” we’ve been reading about, and that several Apple patents refer to.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 53
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    melgross said:
    and that we’re on track for an early 2020 iPad Pro 12.9”
    And then there is that rumour that we will not see an A13X...
  • Reply 3 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    The wait is long for a new iPad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Why are they skipping A13?

Is 13 an unlucky number or something?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Mike, I'm at a loss here:
    LED and Mini LED screens are expected to be comparable to OLED displays, but without the production issues or potential for burn-in. Moving to Mini LED could also reduce Apple's reliance on Samsung's OLED manufacturing.

This is an article about iPads. Afaik, iPad screen tech is IPS LCD. Even if they move to Mini LED, they'd still be using LCD panels with the Mini LED backlight.  
     Apple has never relied on Samsung's OLED manufacturing for iPads.  What's the connection?

Also just a suggestion.  You guys should do an "explainer" on display tech used in/possibly will be use in Apple products.  Too many articles just throw out OLED, Mini LED, Micro LED in the same article as if the audience knows the differences.  The comment section generally proves that to be untrue.  All three of those technologies are decidedly different.  They're also in decidedly different stages of development.

1983fastasleepuraharaJWSC
  • Reply 6 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    apple ][ said:

If it is calendar Q3 2020, it could very well be September of 2020 and not July, and would be coincident with the 2020 iPhone releases, which are slated to be A14 SoCs. The iPad would have skipped a CPU generation, which has happened before (no A11X models), but if they are shipping in September of 2020, they should have shipped a A13X model in October 2019. 

It’s not about numerology, just product timing and availability of the SoCs, which are driven by iPhones not iPads.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 53
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Typing this on an iPad Pro 12.9
    I was wondering when the next update would be as the current design is now over a year old. This has easily been the best iPad of any kind that I have owned and the iPad OS is a great improvement.

Still would love to see a large iPad OS device on a permanent stand similar to the Surface Studio. I think they would get enough sales to justify the development cost.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 53
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    apple ][ said:

I suppose for many people...yes. But unlikely the reason the iPad seems to be skipping it. Just release dates, Apple are unlikely to release an A14 powered iPhone 12, then an A13X powered new iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    smalm said:
    melgross said:
    and that we’re on track for an early 2020 iPad Pro 12.9”
    And then there is that rumour that we will not see an A13X...
    apple ][ said:

We don’t know that they are. This is speculation from someone who has gotten a lot right over the past few years, but has also gotten some things wrong. One thing he gets wrong more than anything else is delivery dates. He’s been off by a year before. He could be again.

so we could have a new iPad early 2020 with an A13x, despite this new RUMOR. These models could then come in possibly in late 2020, though that seems unlikely if one is out earlier (though it has happened!), or, in early 2021.

folks, it’s way too early to have any angst about it.

and yes, of course, 13 is an unlucky number, which is why the new phones have an A13 SoC.
  • Reply 10 of 53

This is an article about iPads. Afaik, iPad screen tech is IPS LCD. Even if they move to Mini LED, they'd still be using LCD panels with the Mini LED backlight.   Apple has never relied on Samsung's OLED manufacturing for iPads.  What's the connection?

Also just a suggestion.  You guys should do an "explainer" on display tech used in/possibly will be use in Apple products.  Too many articles just throw out OLED, Mini LED, Micro LED in the same article as if the audience knows the differences.  The comment section generally proves that to be untrue.  All three of those technologies are decidedly different.  They're also in decidedly different stages of development.

There’s a misconception on your part here. Apple has been working on micro LED screens, as I mentioned above your post. In fact, Apple is ahead of everyone else in R&D for that tech, and basically kickstarted the R&D in the rest of the major players in the industry. The article says mini LED, which I questioned. But the idea is that this is not an LCD screen with an LED backlight, which uses leds on the edge of the display. Only large screens have them in back. It’s an LED screen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 53

tht said:
    apple ][ said:

If it is calendar Q3 2020, it could very well be September of 2020 and not July, and would be coincident with the 2020 iPhone releases, which are slated to be A14 SoCs. The iPad would have skipped a CPU generation, which has happened before (no A11X models), but if they are shipping in September of 2020, they should have shipped a A13X model in October 2019. 

It’s not about numerology, just product timing and availability of the SoCs, which are driven by iPhones not iPads.
    They’ve shipped an iPad Pro in March too, don’t forget.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    nothing happening on the 13” variant of the macbooks then?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
    I rather see the current iPad Pro turn into an actual pro device. That’s mostly a software thing. 

To me, the iPad Pro is the worst device Apple sells of today and the most disappointing Apple purchase I’ve made, because it’s marketed the wrong way. It utterly fails as a laptop replacement, it fails at productivity and fails to provide a real benefit as a tablet - compared to the regular iPad (except having an overpriced pencil for it).

• Reply 14 of 53
    I rather see the current iPad Pro turn into an actual pro device. That’s mostly a software thing. 

To me, the iPad Pro is the worst device Apple sells of today and the most disappointing Apple purchase I’ve made, because it’s marketed the wrong way. It utterly fails as a laptop replacement, it fails at productivity and fails to provide a real benefit as a tablet - compared to the regular iPad (except having an overpriced pencil for it).

It sounds like the Pro does not fill your particular use case, a regular iPad might’ve been a better fit.
    The Pencil is mainly for artists and doodlers, I don’t think it’s overpriced. Look at the limitations of a pricier Cintiq.
    StrangeDayscaladanianwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 15 of 53
    I just want a crisper screen. More dots per inch please.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    melgross said:

This is an article about iPads. Afaik, iPad screen tech is IPS LCD. Even if they move to Mini LED, they'd still be using LCD panels with the Mini LED backlight.   Apple has never relied on Samsung's OLED manufacturing for iPads.  What's the connection?

There’s a misconception on your part here. Apple has been working on micro LED screens, as I mentioned above your post. In fact, Apple is ahead of everyone else in R&D for that tech, and basically kickstarted the R&D in the rest of the major players in the industry. The article says mini LED, which I questioned. But the idea is that this is not an LCD screen with an LED backlight, which uses leds on the edge of the display. Only large screens have them in back. It’s an LED screen.
    There's no misconception.  Micro LED has nothing to do with the article's discussion of iPads.  The mistake is yours and honestly almost everything you wrote is wrong. It's one of the reasons I suggested Mike do an "explainer" on the tech in question.  It never fails that on every article discussing Mini LED, someone - you in this instance- incorrectly brings up Micro LED as if it's relevant.  It is not.  

1. The article mentions Mini LED because that's the tech that is most likely to be used in the next iPad. Not Micro LED. Here's a simple explanation of Mini LED from CNet: https://www.cnet.com/news/mini-led-is-here-how-smaller-lights-could-lead-to-big-tv-improvements/

2. It's not an LED screen.  That's not actually something that exists.  There are LCD screens, OLED screens, and MicroLED screens.  Any screen marketing LED tech is referencing the backlighting.  Always has been that way.  If the new iPads adopt MiniLED, it will be an IPS LCD panel with MiniLED backlight.

3/ MicroLED won't be seen in the iPad for at least 3 years or so imo.  Apple's introduction of MicroLED will most likely come first in the Apple Watch - similar to their test run of OLED before bringing it to iPhones.  It definitely won't make it's first appearance in a product as pivotal as iPads.  All just opinion, but I'd put money on being more right than wrong.

As an aside, I'm curious what makes you think Apple is ahead of everyone else on R&D for MicroLED?  Afaik, there's no one single implementation of MicroLED tech and both Sony and Samsung have salable MicroLED products on the market. 

philboogie
  • Reply 17 of 53
    melgross said:

This is an article about iPads. Afaik, iPad screen tech is IPS LCD. Even if they move' to Mini LED, they'd still be using LCD panels with the Mini LED backlight.   Apple has never relied on Samsung's OLED manufacturing for iPads.  What's the connection?

I wouldn’t describe it as an “LED screen”. They’re describing a LCD screen with a grid of mini-LED backlights. Current generation is LCD with edge-lit LED backlight. When MacBooks has CFL backlit LCD screens, did you fall the “fluorescent screens”? No, they were and still are LCD screens. This is no different and I find it equally confusing that AI would mention “LED and Mini LED” alongside OLED, and then causally mention Micro LED later in the article as those latter two are much more comparable as they’re completely different screen tech from LCD, regardless of how it’s backlit, as they both are self-illuminating and require no backlight at all.  The only comparison that makes sense to OLED is that you get deeper blacks and contrast with mini LED because you have a fine grid of backlights that can be selectively illuminated. 

I know you understand this but just outlining the differences for people who would rightfully find this article super confusing. I agree with CloudTalkin. 
    edited December 2019 CloudTalkin
  • Reply 18 of 53
    litoloop said:
    nothing happening on the 13” variant of the macbooks then?
    We can likely expect upgrades late first quarter of 2020.
  • Reply 19 of 53

You’re absolutely wrong. Please don’t tell us you’ve used one extensively, because it won’t be believable. I’ve had every model ipad other than the 4, which isn’t relevant. Each model has performed better, and been more useful. When the 12.9 came out, it was immediately much more useful than before. Even with pre iPad OS. I don’t know what you think a tablet should be doing, but this does a lot of things very well. If you’re a big spreadsheet guy. Maybe not the best machine, and the same thing for large databases. Coding is still not a real focus, though you can do some coding successfully.

but most else works very well. Office works very well, for example. Publishing has improved immensely. Photo, video and graphics software is now truly excellent. Publishing works well too. I do 3D CAD on mine, and that’s also fine.

apple has been doing a done job of improving iOS for the iPad, and the latest version, while no where near perfect, is much more versatile than before. Much of what we wanted is now here, or partly here. USB C implementation is pretty good.

maybe if you are more detailed than just saying that it fails at productivity, I may know what you’re complaining about.
    fastasleepwatto_cobrauraharaStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 53
    What I said there is that I don’t believe Apple is going to use mini LED screens, that they will use micro LED screens. That’s why I questioned the mini led statement. Yes, micro LED is an actual LED transmissive screen. I said that Apple us considered to be ahead here because that’s what a number of people in the industry say. Just quickly looking for an article, I found this one. There are more,  but it’s dinner time, so...

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1332298&page_number=4

You can back through the article to the beginning if you want to read the whole thing.

melgross said:

There's no misconception.  Micro LED has nothing to do with the article's discussion of iPads.  The mistake is yours and honestly almost everything you wrote is wrong. It's one of the reasons I suggested Mike do an "explainer" on the tech in question.  It never fails that on every article discussing Mini LED, someone - you in this instance- incorrectly brings up Micro LED as if it's relevant.  It is not.  

1. The article mentions Mini LED because that's the tech that is most likely to be used in the next iPad. Not Micro LED. Here's a simple explanation of Mini LED from CNet: https://www.cnet.com/news/mini-led-is-here-how-smaller-lights-could-lead-to-big-tv-improvements/

2. It's not an LED screen.  That's not actually something that exists.  There are LCD screens, OLED screens, and MicroLED screens.  Any screen marketing LED tech is referencing the backlighting.  Always has been that way.  If the new iPads adopt MiniLED, it will be an IPS LCD panel with MiniLED backlight.

3/ MicroLED won't be seen in the iPad for at least 3 years or so imo.  Apple's introduction of MicroLED will most likely come first in the Apple Watch - similar to their test run of OLED before bringing it to iPhones.  It definitely won't make it's first appearance in a product as pivotal as iPads.  All just opinion, but I'd put money on being more right than wrong.

As an aside, I'm curious what makes you think Apple is ahead of everyone else on R&D for MicroLED?  Afaik, there's no one single implementation of MicroLED tech and both Sony and Samsung have salable MicroLED products on the market. 
    StrangeDays