Apple 'taking a deeper look' at Maps changes after Crimea debacle

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a statement following assignment of the Crimea Peninsula to Russia in Apple Maps and Weather, Apple says that it will re-evaluate how it handles disputed borders going forward -- but no changes have been made as of yet.

Crimea
Source: BBC News correspondent Will Vernon via Twitter

Apple said that the changes to labeling and nationality of the Crimea Peninsula were made only to Russian users of Apple Maps, and not outside of the country. The changes, Apple said, were in response to the evolution of laws in the country which mandated the change.

"We review international law as well as relevant U.S. and other domestic laws before making a determination in labeling Maps and make changes if required by law," Apple told AppleInsider and other venues. "We are taking a deeper look at how we handle disputed borders in our services and may make changes in the future as a result."

Moscow has been urging Apple and other technology companies to recognize the region as Russian territory for upwards of a year, noting that not doing so is in contravention of Russian law. As it had done in China in regards to iCloud data residency, Apple complied with the law.

Apple's "deeper look" has not resulted in any changes as of the morning of December 2. The announcement by Apple was made on the Friday after US Thanksgiving -- a time where there has historically been little, if any, activity in the company.

Crimea was annexed by Russia in 2014. The US does not recognize Crimea as Russian. Other nations vary in their interpretations.

The U.S. and UK both leveled trade sanctions against Russian entities in 2014. As a result, Apple was forced to terminate developer agreements of coders living in Crimea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Crimea river!
    anantksundaramsansuraharaDAalsethcornchipStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 2 of 23
    We always get these statements after something has been exposed.
    svanstrom
  • Reply 3 of 23
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Wonder how Apple decides to deal with disputed islands in Asia (Russia v Japan, Japan v S.Korea, China vs numerous nations) Also how many nations there call the Seas differently. Aint easy being a multinational map maker
    Solicornchipviclauyyc
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mmmm.

GoogleGuy hasn't shown up to say how much better Google handled it, so I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Google has already complied with the Russian point of view.
    sanspscooter63lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Off-topic, but need to get this off my chest: 18 of the first 21 stories on AI are about frikkin’ Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. 

What a disgrace. The capitalist in me is wearing awfully thin...
    muthuk_vanalingamDAalsethflyingdppropodFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra[Deleted User]jony0
  • Reply 6 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm.

GoogleGuy hasn't shown up to say how much better Google handled it, so I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Google has already complied with the Russian point of view.
    If you had bothered reading the earlier AI thread on this subject you would already know the answer.  ;)
    It took Russian threats to ban Google altogether...   They've had numerous disagreements with the Russians over censorship and control issues. 
    edited December 2019 Ofer
  • Reply 7 of 23

Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm.

I am no great fan of Google either, but it’s worth recalling that Google has had the cajones to stand up to China far more than Apple has. To the point of walking away from business there. 

It’s all relative (even assuming what you say — out on a limb — is true). 
    Solichemengin1Ofersvanstrom
  • Reply 8 of 23
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    Off-topic, but need to get this off my chest: 18 of the first 21 stories on AI are about frikkin’ Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. 

AI isn’t funded by the readership, so they have to pay the bills somehow. 

AppleInsider has affiliate partnerships and may earn commission on products purchased through affiliate links. These partnerships do not influence our editorial content.”
    edited December 2019 uraharapscooter63CloudTalkin
  • Reply 9 of 23
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    hexclock said:

AI isn’t funded by the readership, so they have to pay the bills somehow. 
    Plus their writers should be able to enjoy the holidays too.  Except for that William Gallagher guy.   He knocks off for Guy Fawkes.  
  • Reply 10 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wish Apple would've done what they usually do when they disagree with the laws of a nation (albeit usually when it comes to having to pay extra monies) and file a formal protest if they were pushed they Russian government to change their maps. They will likely eventually lose, but changing it outright without a legal fight seems weak.

What a disgrace. The capitalist in me is wearing awfully thin…
    They also don't list Costco, which has the best deals I've seen. Macs are $100 less than the best deals they're showing. I'm guessing they'd say it's because it's a warehouse store that requires a paid membership, and I'm guessing it's because Costco doesn't offer kickbacks on sales. I'd love to help get AI get paid for a sale, but with Costco besting everyone else I'm not sure how that will be possible.
    pscooter63anantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I remember when flying Air India their maps don’t show any borders. That gets them out of the Kashmir debate among others.  
    FileMakerFellersvanstrom
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm.

Is your comment about justifying Apple's actions by comparing them to Google?  I always thought it was better to judge an entity by it's own actions, not the actions of others.  
    Kinda seems you have plenty of opinion about what you think Google may have done, but conveniently have no opinion about what you know Apple did.  

Even though I disagree with what Apple did, I think they should stick with their decision.  They did it so they should deal with the criticism and own it.  It was a fiduciary decision.  They want to keep making money in Russia.  They chose the most expedient path to ensure they would continue to do so.  Compliance.
    gatorguyanantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So how much are you willing to pay for an AppleInsider subscription? $10/mo? $5/mo. How much do you think it costs AI to stay online and meet payroll?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    All multinational corporations have to deal with these kinds of issues. Because it’s Apple it gets blown out of proportion and plastered all over the tech blog universe. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    tokyojimu said:
    I remember when flying Air India their maps don’t show any borders. That gets them out of the Kashmir debate among others.  
    Most airline maps these days avoid showing country boundaries.
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellersvanstrom
  • Reply 16 of 23

lkrupp said:

So how much are you willing to pay for an AppleInsider subscription? $10/mo? $5/mo. How much do you think it costs AI to stay online and meet payroll?
    @lkrupp, even by your normal standards of obsequiousness, this one takes the cake. Re-read what I wrote, and try to comprehend. I did not complain about 5 of 21...6/21...7/21...8/21...9/21... would it help I went on?
    muthuk_vanalingamCloudTalkinchemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 23
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    tokyojimu said:
    Most airline maps these days avoid showing country boundaries.
    It is probably configurable by the airline within the map software. FlightPath3D seems to be one of the most popular platforms with more than 60 airlines and it definitely can show borders. The borders are displayed on the airline that I typically fly.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    We always get these statements after something has been exposed.
    It's not exposed, it's a disagreement. Maps are interpreted differently by different people, there is no one true map as imaginary constructs like borders have to be agreed upon by everyone walking the planet. This is not the first instance of this situation but it is merely the most vocal because Apple. This stuff is not new for India, Kashmir, Pakistan, Israel, China, etc. Russia has occupied this disputed former & current territory for 5 years. It doesn't mean the mapmaker recognizes the political legitimacy of the region, but arguably it is more accurate for those in the region, even tho it hurts our political sensibilities. 
    edited December 2019 watto_cobraanantksundaramAndy.Hardwake
  • Reply 19 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm.

Google did the same thing. 

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/27/apple-and-google-maps-accommodate-russias-annexation-of-crimea/
    watto_cobraanantksundaramAndy.Hardwake
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Apple Maps on my iPad here in Seattle shows Crimea as part of Russia, not Ukraine.