Sundar Pichai minted CEO of Alphabet as Google co-founders step aside

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Any reason @gatorguy hasn’t chimed in on this while expounding how great this is for humanity?
    Not particularly. You guys are doing just fine, even dealing with the race bias well. Otherwise not much of anything changes at the moment, and it's not at all clear if anything will. The founders appear to be happy to enjoy their money and involve themselves in new interests and ventures. Sounds pretty nice to me.

Imagine the ride, only twenty years to arrive where they are now and still in their 40's with a lifetime ahead of them. Cool stuff....
    What race bias?  You're the first one to even mention race.
    Ah, apparently you didn't see the long thread here before the Mods intervened and took an ax to it...
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 22 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Any reason @gatorguy hasn’t chimed in on this while expounding how great this is for humanity?
    Not particularly. You guys are doing just fine, even dealing with the race bias well. Otherwise not much of anything changes at the moment, and it's not at all clear if anything will. The founders appear to be happy to enjoy their money and involve themselves in new interests and ventures. Sounds pretty nice to me.

Imagine the ride, only twenty years to arrive where they are now and still in their 40's with a lifetime ahead of them. Cool stuff....
    Nope. As mentioned the mods wisely stepped in to clean stuff up before you had a chance to read it. It did not reflect well on AI.
    edited December 2019 muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Doodpants said:
    "Google CEO Sundar Pichai was on Tuesday tapped to replace Larry Page as CEO of parent company Alphabet..."
    Whenever I hear about a person being "tapped", I picture someone sticking a spigot in them to drain them of their sap.
    According to the headline he was also "minted."
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 32

gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

Ah, apparently you didn't see the long thread here before the Mods intervened and took an ax to it...
    Ouch.  It's a shame that people were sniping at Sergey because he's a Russian-born Jew.  There's no place for that here.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    thttht Posts: 5,443member

gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

Ouch.  It's a shame that people were sniping at Sergey because he's a Russian-born Jew.  There's no place for that here.
    They weren’t sniping at Page nor Brin. They were sniping at Pichai and Nadella being south Asian. All forums should have downvotes with some users having weighted downvotes and moderators removing the posts altogether.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

It involved quite a bit more than him, including the current CEO. 'Nuff said. 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    ArpLArpL Posts: 7member
    LOL, they're retiring so when they're eventually indicted that it will reflect less badly on the almighty Google.
    cornchip
  • Reply 28 of 32
    ArpL said:
    LOL, they're retiring so when they're eventually indicted that it will reflect less badly on the almighty Google.
    Indicted for what? Or is it a part of your dreams about unicorns and stardust?
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 29 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ArpL said:
    Indicted for what? Or is it a part of your dreams about unicorns and stardust?
    I'm no fan of Google's overreach and some of the shady things they've done, but I can't fathom for the life of me what they've done to be indicted.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 30 of 32
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If he was healthy Steve Jobs would have stayed at Apple for decades longer. Perhaps he was having more fun than the Google guys. 
    edited December 2019 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 32
    flydog said:
    It also represents that "Alphabet Inc." was nothing more than a PR stunt to give the appearance of Google having diversified interests. The reality of course is that the company had a number of hobbies which didn't eventuate into sustainable businesses.
    All tech companies engage in R&D that may or may not turn into a real product or a "sustainable business."  That doesn't make those endeavors "PR stunts."

This would be a valid excuse if the spin-off happened after the businesses were generating real income, instead the division happened when these were all essentially vapourware - something that google has acquired an industry reputation for.
    cornchip
  • Reply 32 of 32
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Doodpants said:
    "Google CEO Sundar Pichai was on Tuesday tapped to replace Larry Page as CEO of parent company Alphabet..."
    Whenever I hear about a person being "tapped", I picture someone sticking a spigot in them to drain them of their sap.
    nah, you just turn them sideways and collect the mana.