Apple TV+ secures Oprah Winfrey film on music industry sexual misconduct

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

More Tim Cook trash. 

Yeah because people want to pay five bucks a month to see a mockumentary about sexual abuse.   Better yet why doesn’t 
    Oprah just do a film on Weinstein since she has so many smiling pictures with him. 

Tim you’re trash because you don’t have a backbone to stand up to China 

Oprah you’re trash because you know the predators in Hollywood which is why you’re crapping on the music industry when you’re 
    industry  is the pinnacle of pedofilia 

Nailed it.  Oprah is too invested in Hollywood to trash talk the truth about Hollywood...so she would rather jump on allegations in the music industry instead.  I wonder how many would cancel their Apple Music subscriptions after she trashes the industry?
    hmurchison
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Sounds fine to me. But then, I don't have a fragile male ego to protect. 🤷‍♂️
    But how do u protect your vagina?
    hmurchison
  • Reply 23 of 36
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
  • Reply 24 of 36
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. It would end up hurting someone's feelings and Apple will pull the plug on it...
  • Reply 25 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    You and 100 million people aren't going to buy any Apple stuff in the next 12 months?  Personally, I have a ton of Apple gear that would qualify me for a free year, but I haven't purchased anything in the last few months.  So my "free year" will start when I get my next iPhone (or my wife does).  
    Yet dropping $50 for a 1-year sub is too much for you? I truly think that's not the case...

• Reply 26 of 36
    You and 100 million people aren't going to buy any Apple stuff in the next 12 months?  Personally, I have a ton of Apple gear that would qualify me for a free year, but I haven't purchased anything in the last few months.  So my "free year" will start when I get my next iPhone (or my wife does).  
    Yet dropping $50 for a 1-year sub is too much for you? I truly think that's not the case...

Apple didn't get where it is because of charity; ATV+ has to earn our bucks just like oder products/services did.
    philboogie
  • Reply 27 of 36
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    You’re sure making a lot of assumptions here, so I’m going to guess that no, you do not “understand correctly”. You have no idea what evidence they have or what’s been vetted by these award-winning documentarians, whom I would venture to guess take this project quite seriously. 
    Ummm, ever heard of the LEGAL SYSTEM?

This is where you present your "evidence" to the Law Enforcement System (ie. police, or through a proxy via a hospital exam to gather evidence).  In this case, it's a sexual crime, and the procedure is pretty standard, both withing the police district as well as at practically every clinic, hospital and emergency room.  It's done literally, several tens of thousands of times a year - every year.  It's nothing new.  DNA evidence can be easily gathered, as well as forensics evidence.  It's not that hard to understand, for the average person - perhaps you need someone to explain it to you.

Then, legal charges are brought to bear against the accused; however the accused is PRESUMED innocent until proven guilty.  This is detailed in the US Constitution, it's a legal system that has been the governing document in the United States for over 220 years.  Sure, it has it's flaws; but overall is the best system known.

This allows BOTH sides to fairly present evidence, to a jury of unbiased peers, who determine guilt or innocence based upon a preponderance of evidence and fact, with the burden of PROVING GUILT.

Does this help explain it to you?  You see, a Documentary, is a one-sided debate, it's not fair, it's not balanced, it's not even required to be fact based - it's "emotional".  And the damage done cannot be undone, cannot be appealed or nullified.

So, I would venture to say that you have no comprehension of what "understanding" even means.  I doubt you would submit to this standard for determining guilt, if you were ever accused of a crime; yet seem quite willing to have this standard applied to others.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Make Oprah even richer! 

Yes, Oprah is not the answer, she is part of the problem. TV became even more vapid and vacuous because of her show. The downward spiral from Donahue to Jerry Springer and Maury Povich and Geraldo Rivera went right through Oprahmania.

She copied the format pioneered by Phil Donahue but took the low road with it.

He did some celebrity stuff, but also took on a lot of newsworthy issues and in depth. Oprah took the pop path. I do not remember Oprah ever having Milton Friedman or another economist of his standing (Nobel Prize) on to discuss his theories.
    hmurchisonphilboogie
  • Reply 29 of 36
    I'm afraid Apple TV+ is going to devolve into a haven for all things Woke. Which means no ratings. And no shareholder value.
    You're talking about Servant aren't you?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Other than the Snoopy cartoon I haven't watched any of these shows yet. Good thing I have it free for a year. At this rate I'm going to need it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sexual assault/abuse the premise of the Morning Show?
    philboogie
  • Reply 31 of 36
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    hodar said:
    You’re sure making a lot of assumptions here, so I’m going to guess that no, you do not “understand correctly”. You have no idea what evidence they have or what’s been vetted by these award-winning documentarians, whom I would venture to guess take this project quite seriously. 
    You see, a Documentary, is a one-sided debate, it's not fair, it's not balanced, it's not even required to be fact based - it's "emotional".  And the damage done cannot be undone, cannot be appealed or nullified.
    The same logic could be applied to accusations made on social media and discussion forums like this.  Ultimately, people will use whatever forum they can to make accusations against others (and TV shows).  Oprah just happens to have the money to use documentaries for them.  But regardless of the forum, it's up to us to decide whether there's any merit to them.  Courts should be reserved for situations where crimes have been committed and legal action is required (fines, jail time, etc).  If they truly do have hard evidence of crimes which were committed, then you can be sure it'll end up in the courts.

One big problem with sexual misconduct court cases is that they tend to turn into a venting of all the dirty laundry from the past for the accuser in an attempt to discredit them (as if someone's past sexual behaviour somehow implies that they asked for/deserved what happened to them).  A lot of people don't want to go through all of that for the small possibility of the accused getting a slap on the wrist or getting a few dollars in the end.  So if a documentary can get people to think about things and maybe prevent future misconduct, then I'd argue that it achieves more than single court cases.
    edited December 2019 ronn
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Oof. Dismal. Once my free 1-year trial for Apple TV+ expires I’ll probably not renew it unless there are some drastic improvements.

For one thing, the size of Apple’s show downloads are outrageously large with no apparent way to slightly downgrade these files. They take up a massive amount of space!

On the other hand, the Disney+ app is quite well designed and the files don’t completely take over my iPad Pro. I’ve already paid for a year of Disney+ in advance and I’m quite pleased with the content.
    hmurchisonphilboogie
  • Reply 33 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Oof. Dismal. Once my free 1-year trial for Apple TV+ expires I’ll probably not renew it unless there are some drastic improvements.

For one thing, the size of Apple’s show downloads are outrageously large with no apparent way to slightly downgrade these files. They take up a massive amount of space!

On the other hand, the Disney+ app is quite well designed and the files don’t completely take over my iPad Pro. I’ve already paid for a year of Disney+ in advance and I’m quite pleased with the content.
    I did the three years Disney+ and maybe had a little buyers remorse ...until I saw the Black Widow trailer.   Yeah ...I think i'm fine and Disney+ has Little Einsteins meaning we can cancel our Amazon Prime and save 8 bucks a month there.   Life's good 
    SpamSandwichphilboogie
  • Reply 34 of 36

I did the three years Disney+ and maybe had a little buyers remorse ...until I saw the Black Widow trailer.   Yeah ...I think i'm fine and Disney+ has Little Einsteins meaning we can cancel our Amazon Prime and save 8 bucks a month there.   Life's good 
    I’m considering getting rid of Prime myself. It’s increasingly difficult to find anything worth watching and I don’t buy enough stuff from Amazon to make a difference. At least I’ll continue to evaluate them.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 35 of 36
    hodar said:
    Ummm, ever heard of the LEGAL SYSTEM?

This is where you present your "evidence" to the Law Enforcement System (ie. police, or through a proxy via a hospital exam to gather evidence).  In this case, it's a sexual crime, and the procedure is pretty standard, both withing the police district as well as at practically every clinic, hospital and emergency room.  It's done literally, several tens of thousands of times a year - every year.  It's nothing new.  DNA evidence can be easily gathered, as well as forensics evidence.  It's not that hard to understand, for the average person - perhaps you need someone to explain it to you.

Then, legal charges are brought to bear against the accused; however the accused is PRESUMED innocent until proven guilty.  This is detailed in the US Constitution, it's a legal system that has been the governing document in the United States for over 220 years.  Sure, it has it's flaws; but overall is the best system known.

This allows BOTH sides to fairly present evidence, to a jury of unbiased peers, who determine guilt or innocence based upon a preponderance of evidence and fact, with the burden of PROVING GUILT.

Does this help explain it to you?  You see, a Documentary, is a one-sided debate, it's not fair, it's not balanced, it's not even required to be fact based - it's "emotional".  And the damage done cannot be undone, cannot be appealed or nullified.

So, I would venture to say that you have no comprehension of what "understanding" even means.  I doubt you would submit to this standard for determining guilt, if you were ever accused of a crime; yet seem quite willing to have this standard applied to others.
    fastasleep said:
    hodar said:
    The documentary, which currently does not have a title, will follow a former music executive who was allegedly assaulted by a major figure in the industry. The Apple TV film will observe the executive as they come to terms with the prospect of going public with the story, and likely how it could impact both parties. 

So if I understand correctly, someone without any evidence whatsoever, gets to publicly accuse another person of sexual abuse, play the "victim card" on national TV; and the accused must prove his/her innocence in the court of public opinion.  The accused may have their career/reputation/marriage destroyed either out of revenge, malice, or just to appease the ego of the accuser - without recourse, appeal or way to recover their reputation.

All in the name of "entertainment".

I am no fan of sexual abuse, in fact if it were up to me, it would be a capital offense - but we do have a legal system to handle this sort of thing, where the rights of the accuser and the accused are both respected, where evidence is required, and proof of guilt is required.  This is a mockery of justice, masquerading as a "Documentary".  If you want to do a real documentary on sexual abuse, there are countries that practice slavery, where children are sold as sex slaves - but that would be asking too much.
    Apparently you don't get it.  The former music exec was ALLEGEDLY assaulted and NOW wants to go public via Oprah Winfrey, instead of through the legal system.

What you knuckledraggers are missing here is there's no evidence that the subject of this documentary even names the person in question. It says it follows the former exec "possibly going public" and "grapples with whether to go public" yet you're jumping to the conclusion that this film is going to try and be judge jury and executioner against someone innocent until proven guilty. Did you read the fucking article? The same chuds in this forum sure are vocal anytime this subject comes up. Good job launching your very strong defense of someone you don't know who may or may not be being accused of someone else you don't know because you have zero information thus far. It's fucking weird.
    ronnsingularity
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Actually, Oprah’s  political friends are all perverts. I wonder where she fits in the proposed movie?
    hmurchison