BMW puts the brakes on CarPlay subscription fee in UK

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    I for one think that Apple CarPlay is a complete joke. You ask why? Maps is dangerous for one. I don’t know how many times Maps has gotten me in trouble and I never use it. I waited for a long time for Apple to finally come up with an app that included all that I need in travel information. I’m sorry I wasted so much time waiting. If Apple CP were smart, they would have replaced Ford’s horrible Microsoft interface a long time ago. God was is horrible. 
  • Reply 22 of 37
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    The subscription is being eliminated in the US too.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/bmw-free-apple-carplay/

I live in NYC now so I don’t own any cars anymore but both my wife’s and my last cars were BMWs and if we were ever in the market for a car again, it would not be a BMW as long as this bullshit subscription was in place. This should be a free, standard option on all cars they sell. If companies like Chevy and Hyundai can offer it standard, for free, on all their cars so can the German manufacturers. 
    lostkiwicornchipwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 37
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I for one think that Apple CarPlay is a complete joke. You ask why? Maps is dangerous for one. I don’t know how many times Maps has gotten me in trouble and I never use it. I waited for a long time for Apple to finally come up with an app that included all that I need in travel information. I’m sorry I wasted so much time waiting. If Apple CP were smart, they would have replaced Ford’s horrible Microsoft interface a long time ago. God was is horrible. 
    Maybe you are unaware that Google maps is also available on CarPlay.  But Google maps also has issues (as well as BMW’s TomTom based native map system.   But your mileage may vary...  😉
    cornchipwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramdoozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    tommikele said:
    How ironic ... My warranty on my M3 is expiring in 2 1//2 months. Yesterday, I told the salesperson at the dealership who called me about a new car that as long as they charged for CarPlay I would never buy another BMW. The subscription move is beyond insulting. The Bavarian clowns that thought this one up should be looking for new jobs. Perhaps Ford will hire them to work on their planned reintroduction of the Edsel.
    Or the electric Thunderbird SUV...

I drive an '87 3 series (which replaced the '90 that someone totaled by pulling out in front of me on my way to work one morning). IMO best sedan ever made, tied with the E34 if you like the bigger rides. The E28 tends to get all the love, but they still had a very 70s driving experience. My wife's E61 is awesome, but too many damn problems. And expensive ones at that. In fact it's out of commish so bad right now we got her an E46 as a temp. Ideally we'll sell both of those and get her an E34. A '95 touring would be ideal. 

My mom has an E90 that replaced her E46 touring. She likes it, but... issues. People like to say E61 was the beginning of the end of BMW, but really it was the last nail in the coffin that started getting built with the E36.

The new BMW stuff? No thanks. This CarPlay joke is only one of many reasons.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 25 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    zroger73 said:
    BMW may backtrack on this for now, but don't expect that to last.

Subscription-based services and features are the future.

At work, we used to buy AutoCAD and keep it for years until it became obsolete. Now, you can no longer buy it - you can only rent it. When you stop paying, it stops working. Same for Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat and Quicken and the list goes on.

Beginning with the 2019 RDX, Acura no longer includes keyfob-based remote start...on a $50K SUV. Remote start is now app-based and requires an $110/year subscription to keep it working.
    Quicken does not do that.  It simply stops updates once the subscription is over.  You can still continue using it as usual.

philboogie
  • Reply 26 of 37
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I and my wife were discussing recently what car we wanted to buy.

Me: I like this BMW model
    Wife: But you said earlier that you don't want BMW because of the problem with AppleCar
    Me:..... mmmmm, ok, let's look at this brand.

We have bought this Monday a car. It' is NOT a BMW!
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 27 of 37
    It was one sure fire reason I would not buy or even consider buying a BMW, subscription on top of an already hefty service cost. Just poor form, poor judgement to try and milk their customers. 80 GBP a year, for nothing. When Apple provides full free upgrades to its software to users for zilch. Nein!!! 
    Carnage
  • Reply 28 of 37
    I still don't get why BMW is the only car company who charges like this. I've never seen it on any other car. They either offer CarPlay, or they don't. They don't have the ability to turn it on or off if you don't pay them.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 29 of 37
    joe28753 said:
    I know German car companies charge for each and every option, and no one buys the base model. The only thing that comes free is the air inside the cabin. But seriously, CarPlay is not even their own software they make. I never understood how they charged any fee at all to enable it, and then they changed it to become a subscription! I used to drool after BMWs, but no longer. Now I'm just sad to see them dragging their feet in modernizing their cars. This goes along with their EV options. The i3 was ok for its time, but then we've just been seeing a press release every few months for something coming up. 
    Spot on. 

Part of the reason is, I think, software is the Achilles heel for the Germans in the EV/autonomous driving world. 
  • Reply 30 of 37
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    zroger73 said:

At work, we used to buy AutoCAD and keep it for years until it became obsolete. Now, you can no longer buy it - you can only rent it. When you stop paying, it stops working. Same for Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat and Quicken and the list goes on.

Beginning with the 2019 RDX, Acura no longer includes keyfob-based remote start...on a $50K SUV. Remote start is now app-based and requires an $110/year subscription to keep it working.
    I hear you on the AutoCAD. Problem is AutoDesk works on new features but had low adoption rates in the past because companies kept using old versions that were paid for. If my software is up to date and I want to use a newer feature I can’t unless my vendor or customer are on a comparable version. We have that issue with Solidworks right now.

I can’t fault AutoDesk for the pricing model, what they need to do is make it a more affordable for smaller companies and hobbyists. Then you would reduce the number of people holding on to old or illegal copies.
    zroger73
  • Reply 31 of 37
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    BMW was just the first to test the marketplace.

Manufacturers lost their $2500 GPS up-sell, so they need to find profit outside of financing.

"Hey, many people lease for 3 years, lets have phone integration @ $80 a year, thus cheaper for the lease than the $300 up front fee."
    "Yeah, then we get another cash bump from the next purchasers, whereas with a lifetime up front, we get nothing for every new 'user'."

It seems like a simple capitalist idea, and they tested the marketplace.
    I would have suggested an either or option. 
    Keep lessees happy & purchasers happy & you roll the cost right into the monthly payments.

I could complain about Ford & the multiple version of Sync issues & not providing any kind of an upgrade route - just saying "buy a new truck"

I buy my vehicles, first & foremost, to use, not as infotainment systems.
    I like Ford trucks the best for trucking, so i have one - even though they "screwed" Sync2 owners.
    I like BMW saloons, so that is what i bought (even though, at the time, i knew iDrive was utterly horrible)

I know, liking to drive & having that as the highest priority when purchasing a vehicle is a tiny minority these days.

edited December 2019
  • Reply 32 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    razorpit said:
    zroger73 said:

I hear you on the AutoCAD. Problem is AutoDesk works on new features but had low adoption rates in the past because companies kept using old versions that were paid for. If my software is up to date and I want to use a newer feature I can’t unless my vendor or customer are on a comparable version. We have that issue with Solidworks right now.

I can’t fault AutoDesk for the pricing model, what they need to do is make it a more affordable for smaller companies and hobbyists. Then you would reduce the number of people holding on to old or illegal copies.
    they are doing that with Fusion 360, so who knows, that idea may bleed into other programs.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Odd.  I purchased and installed a Pioneer head unit for our car (not BMW) that supports CarPlay for less than BMW’s up charge. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 34 of 37
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    joe28753 said:
    I know German car companies charge for each and every option, and no one buys the base model. The only thing that comes free is the air inside the cabin. But seriously, CarPlay is not even their own software they make. I never understood how they charged any fee at all to enable it, and then they changed it to become a subscription! I used to drool after BMWs, but no longer. Now I'm just sad to see them dragging their feet in modernizing their cars. This goes along with their EV options. The i3 was ok for its time, but then we've just been seeing a press release every few months for something coming up. 
    Spot on. 

Part of the reason is, I think, software is the Achilles heel for the Germans in the EV/autonomous driving world. 
    Software was the Achilles heel for Japan as well.  As wonderful as their electronics were in the 1980s, they were unable to transition to software interfaces and controls that were worth a damn.  They had neither the skills nor the vision to make the transition.  It’s what happens when your company is run by hardware engineers.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    JWSC said:
    joe28753 said:
    Spot on. 

Software was the Achilles heel for Japan as well.  As wonderful as their electronics were in the 1980s, they were unable to transition to software interfaces and controls that were worth a damn.  They had neither the skills nor the vision to make the transition.  It’s what happens when your company is run by hardware engineers.
    Couldn't agree more. This will be Detroit's problem too...
  • Reply 36 of 37
    This was a horrific idea from the outset. 

You’ve handled this very badly BMW and damaged your brand name. This will take time to recover. 

As an M owner. Not impressed 
  • Reply 37 of 37
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    BMW is the most nickel-and-diming car company in the world. One of the main reasons I switched to an Audi.
    Not even close. Ever looked into buying a Porsche?