A maxed-out Mac Pro will cost you $53,000 -- without display

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple has still to release certain higher-storage and graphics options, but on pre-order day, the maximum specification 2019 Mac Pro you can buy costs $52,748. Without the screen, or the separate stands for that display. But you can get cash back if you buy with Apple Card.

Maxing out the new Mac Pro
Maxing out the new Mac Pro

If you do this, you also guarantee that you won't get the 2019 Mac Pro until January 28, 2020.

What you'll get then, though, is a 2.5GHz 28-core Intel Xeon W processor, up from the base model's 3.5Ghz 8-Core one. That alone costs adds $7,000 to the price.

RAM can be upgraded from a comparatively miserly 32GB up to 1.5TB for just $25,000 extra. The RAM is DDR4 EEC in all cases, all configurations, but the 1.5TB option comes as a dozen 128GB modules.

Certain RAM configurations demand you get certain processors
Certain RAM configurations demand you get certain processors

This is one of the more complex Build to Order pages Apple has, however, as certain options are only available in combination with each other. If you do want 1.5TB of RAM, you have to either the 24- or 28-core processor.

There are currently four SSD storage options, ranging from the base 256GB to 4TB for what almost seems a reasonable $1,400. The promised 8TB version is not yet available and no pricing is listed.

Similarly, there are two further graphics card configurations listed as "coming soon." Those are a single Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB of GDDR6 memory or a pair of them. Again, no pricing is available yet.

However, the current highest-specification graphics configuration you can order is a pair of Radeon Pro Vega II Duo with 2x32GB of HBM2 memory each. That adds $10,800 to the base price.

If you're buying a top-end graphics processor, you're going to also want Apple's Afterburner, which sees another $2,000 on the bill. To get that Afterburner, you might be able to save a little on the frame, which sees the set of four wheels coming at an extra cost of $400.

The maximum Build to Order specification does also include your getting both a Magic Mouse 2 and a Magic Trackpad 2 where you could elect to get just one or the other. But that would only save you $149.00 off the total price.

So the total price, including all the hardware but not the optional pre-loaded software like Final Cut Pro X, comes to $52,748. That's nearly nine times the cost of the base unit. And excludes the Pro Display XDR or its stand.

However, Apple is offering 6% Daily Cash Back if you order before December 31 and pay with Apple Card. That amounts to $3,164.88. Alternatively, you could use that Cash Back and buy a well-equipped 16-inch MacBook Pro too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    That is the exact model I going to get in my dreams! Thank you, Apple!
    kuduravnorodomCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Comparing to $1000 stapler that government spends on, this price is nothing.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    That RAM price is crazy. Just checked MacSales and they've already added a product holder for up to 1.5TB of RAM. I'm guessing their price will be 50-70% of Apple's letting you get the Afterburner for free!!!!!

I still want to see this monster run some TOP500 supercomputer benchmarks. If it comes in the top 1000, it would be worth the price. 
    edited December 2019 caladaniancy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    There will be few orders for a maxed out machine, I imagine.  But a $25,000 version?  Probably quite a few.  That's nothing for a truly professional workstation that some industries require.  Even smaller firms that work with a lot of media might opt for a $10,000 version.  Think about all the in-house media that podcast producers, comedians, and even political campaigns do.  And if a major studio needs these?  They make $150-$200 million movies.   $50K per workstation is not going to break the bank.  
    SpamSandwich80s_Apple_GuyradarthekatCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Ordered two, maxed out, with six XDRs each. One for me. One for my dog.

Not really, but I did get one XDR, with nano glass, and stand. Between my corporate discount and the 6% back from Apple Card, came up to just under $6,600 including tax/AppleCare. Delivers in January, which is annoying.
    edited December 2019 cy_starkmanravnorodomCarnageh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    If you are going to use it for GPU ray tracing, you can buy a faster computer at Best Buy for around $2000.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    And this is a surprise? It was clear if you fully load this machine you were looking at 50K before you even begin adding the 6 monitors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 42
    No 6% for countries without Apple Card. :/  
    cy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Yeah, it was under $2000 when we upgraded our 2012 Mac Pro to 128 GB of RAM from OWC.
    I expect quite a discount on OWC pricing vs Apple, it is always that way.

Apple is currently looking to be about twice the market rate for single 128 GB DDR-4 ECC memory (right about US$1000 for a 128 GB stick, Apple is charging US$2000)
    So the norm upcharge for Apple, but at least with the Mac Pro it isnt soldering in :/

...Just checked out HP though, the Z workstations are pricing 1.5 TB of RAM @ US$45,000 so.......

edited December 2019 thtravnorodomh2p
  • Reply 10 of 42
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,289member
    Wow $7k to upgrade to the 28 core Xeon -- Intel's prices are crazy!

The 64 core AMD Epyc costs $7k; the 32 core version costs $3400. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14694/amd-rome-epyc-2nd-gen/4
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 42
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    rob53 said:
    That RAM price is crazy. Just checked MacSales and they've already added a product holder for up to 1.5TB of RAM. I'm guessing their price will be 50-70% of Apple's letting you get the Afterburner for free!!!!!

I still want to see this monster run some TOP500 supercomputer benchmarks. If it comes in the top 1000, it would be worth the price. 
    Their RAM price is actually less crazy than it seems. Six 128GB sticks from Hewlett Packard Enterprise is just under $38k. The same $38k at Apple will get you twelve sticks and the shipping carton is a Mac Pro with a 28-core processor.
    kuducy_starkman80s_Apple_GuyradarthekatFileMakerFellerStrangeDayspscooter63retrogustowatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Stop with this max price crap who cares. But for comparison here you go HP Z8 G4 Workstation 28 cores, 2.2 GHz base frequency | Intel Xeon Platinum 8276 1.5TB (12x 128GB) of 2933MHz DDR4 ECC Registered Memory 4TB SATA3 2.5" Solid-State Drive Slim DVD Writer NVIDIA Quadro GV100 32GB NVIDIA Quadro GV100 32GB Intel X550-T2 | Dual-Port | RJ45 | PCIe 3.0 | 10GbE Network Adapter Intel 8260 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac & Bluetooth 4.2 PCIe Card Windows 10 Professional 64-bit $50,175
    cy_starkmanradarthekatCarnagesandordavidheadywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sdw2001 said:
    There will be few orders for a maxed out machine, I imagine.  But a $25,000 version?  Probably quite a few.  That's nothing for a truly professional workstation that some industries require.  Even smaller firms that work with a lot of media might opt for a $10,000 version.  Think about all the in-house media that podcast producers, comedians, and even political campaigns do.  And if a major studio needs these?  They make $150-$200 million movies.   $50K per workstation is not going to break the bank.  
    Still no business throws money away needlessly, at least if they want to remain a viable one. Just because it can be written off doesn't make it's a wise purchase. Spec what you need and then buy at the best contract price you can.  Real businesses don't generally buy equipment simply because they can. That's for consumers to overspend, not good businessmen.

Example: Apple could afford to spend more than they do on displays. Same with wi-fi chips. What's another $2.00?  But I guarantee they'll be more concerned with what that product buys them and then negotiate as close to the bone as they can with the supplier, even if they could afford to pay more. The whole "that's nothing compared to a million dollar media product" argument is ridiculous IMHO. 

As a business if you don't know specifically why you're buying something or hiring someone then you just don't do it. It's burning money otherwise.
    edited December 2019 muthuk_vanalingamsandorh2p
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Is dinner included?
  • Reply 15 of 42
    First impressions are starting to populate the cyber.  MKBHD has an informative one.  His example of video encoding is a pretty good demonstration of the power potential of the MP.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOPswcaSsu8

edited December 2019 cy_starkman
  • Reply 16 of 42
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    fallenjt said:
    Comparing to $1000 stapler that government spends on, this price is nothing.
    Or the $2,000 doctor bill to check my pulse and write a prescription.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    First impressions are starting to populate the cyber.  MKBHD has an informative one.  His example of video encoding is a pretty good demonstration of the power potential of the MP.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOPswcaSsu8

...and he's had it for two weeks. ;) He is worthy.
    edited December 2019 cy_starkmanmuthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 18 of 42
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    sdw2001 said:
    The maxed out version is still $10,000 cheaper than a GrandMA 3 lighting console. 
    If you work in professional show audio and lighting, 50k isn’t really shocking. 

https://store.prolightingsupply.com/grfusi81chli.html

edited December 2019 cy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 42
    wow, if i stayed in 3d animation i would probably be looking at this with some interest right now.

as it turned out, i went into managing things instead which means i need a decent screen and portability. MBP 16” for me.

I do projection mapping and some video editing, but as a hobby and honestly i can’t imagine this would really help in either case.. but it is fun to imagine i own 10 4k projectors and want to drive them all on one computer.

not that anyone would pay a mapper enough to afford this beast.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Is dinner included?
    Yes, there will also be a limo for buyer to pickup the new Mac Pro.