Only use Apple's special cloth to clean Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2020
Engineered to exacting tolerances using only the best materials and cutting-edge processes, Apple's Pro Display XDR is a special piece of equipment. And to protect the $5,999 nano-texture version, Apple recommends using only the special cloth that comes in the box.

Pro Display XDR Cloth
Apple's included Pro Display XDR polishing cloth. | Source: Jonathan Morrison

Apple on Tuesday issued a somewhat ominous warning in a support document detailing how to clean the new Pro Display XDR.

While a soft microfiber cloth and cleaning solution might be fine for conventional displays, Pro Display XDR owners are told to "use only the dry polishing cloth that comes with your display to wipe dust or smudges off the screen. Don't add water or use other liquids to clean the nano-texture glass."

A more pointed decree is included in a not-so-subtly highlighted box below the initial recommendation.

"Never use any other cloths to clean the nano-texture glass," Apple says.

Words like "never," "don't" and "prevent damage" bristle the neck hairs of even the most intrepid early adopters, especially those who just shelled out $6,000 for a 32-inch display.

What, exactly, sets Apple's polishing cloth apart from lesser linen is unknown, but the special accessory is apparently designed specifically for the nanometer level glass etching Apple calls "nano-texture." Introduced as a matte option for Pro Display XDR, the nano-texture version is not a coating but an etched layer designed to maintain image quality and reduce glare by precisely scattering incident light.

Apple notes that replacements are available if one should lose the cloth included with each Pro Display XDR purchase.

The non-nano-texture variant, which uses "standard glass," can be cleaned with Apple's polishing cloth or microfiber cloth.

Boasting a 32-inch 6K Retina Display with a resolution of 6,016-by-3,384 pixels, Pro Display XDR is packed with advanced technologies like a 2D backlighting system with 576 blue LEDs, custom lenses, a proprietary timing controller and power system capable of outputting 1000 nits of sustained brightness. Like other Apple screens, the XDR features a P3 color gamut and adds true 10-bit color depth.

Apple's Pro Display XDR went on sale today at a starting price of $4,999, not including the $999 stand. The nano-texture iteration comes in at $5,999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    The replacement cloth is available from Apple for a cool $599. 
    agilealtitudedewmetyler82Carnageirelandtallgrasstechiemaltzentropys
  • Reply 2 of 61
    I'd have a large sign next to the monitor warning of imminent death if you touch the monitor...
    doozydozenswat671caladanianrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 61
    mobird said:
    I'd have a large sign next to the monitor warning of imminent death if you touch the monitor...
    really this is a great policy for pretty much everybody

(I wonder if a desktop wallpaper photo of a huge spider's face would work…)
    swat671cy_starkmanrandominternetpersonwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 4 of 61
    First time seeing the screen and I was blown away. The display is out of this world.
    doozydozenStrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 5 of 61
    My cats use fur to “clean” my display.
    seanismorrisswat671CloudTalkinbaconstangRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 61
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Managed to option up a system in Australia to AU$97,000. A little disappointed the computer and screen were listed separately and that I couldn't get a combined price to $100k in one place, just to see that on-screen. Haven't found the cloth yet as a separate item. (Adding Mathematica would have taken the total price over though.) Well, on with the day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 61
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    iqatedo said:
    Managed to option up a system in Australia to AU$97,000. A little disappointed the computer and screen were listed separately and that I couldn't get a combined price to $100k in one place, just to see that on-screen. Haven't found the cloth yet as a separate item. (Adding Mathematica would have taken the total price over though.) Well, on with the day.
    Heh, fun with currency exchange!

Japan… ¥5,794,859

The cloth is ordered though service. The part number exists, but it doesn't pull up pricing yet. Give it a week or two and talk to your local Apple Store or AASP (authorized service provider).
    edited December 2019 iqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Seriously... what is the purpose of 6K if the screen is only 32"? You'll need a microscope to read!
    If it was 55" I'd be interested.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    I am already able to smell lawsuits even the monitor is not yet shipped to customers. 
    Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Seriously... what is the purpose of 6K if the screen is only 32"? You'll need a microscope to read!
    Sigh.....

fastasleepdoozydozen80s_Apple_GuythtCloudTalkinbaconstangStrangeDaysuraharahucom2000Gaby
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Why do you keep posting this? Do you have any concept of screen resolution or normal viewing distances? You don’t need a microscope to read an iMac screen, and this is the same density. Not to mention you can adjust the OS scaling to your liking.
    smack416doozydozenbaconstangStrangeDaysuraharahucom2000caladanianbeeble42watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Apple approved cloth? Oh please lol
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Does the cloth also help keep the Apple Card clean?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Why do you keep posting this? Do you have any concept of screen resolution or normal viewing distances? You don’t need a microscope to read an iMac screen, and this is the same density. Not to mention you can adjust the OS scaling to your liking.
    Because he wants a bigger screen? Just guess in’ I mean if you are going to drop 6k on a screen that needs its own special cloth you may as well get what you want right?
  • Reply 15 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    macxpress said:
    Sigh.....

If you have to ask, you don't need this monitor!

mobird said:
    Yeah, except people are too stupid to read signs. I read a story once about a guy who sat on a 2000 year old chair from some Chinese dynasty in a museum and broke it, and he had to go past a railing, climb up on the pedestal and ignore the sign. Can't you just see the office cleaning staff spraying this monitor with Windex and wiping it off with a paper towel?

swat671mobirdStrangeDaysavon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sirozha said:
    The replacement cloth is available from Apple for a cool $599. 
    Come on, you know that a packet of five!  ;)
    swat671avon b7uraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

MplsP said:
    macxpress said:
    Sigh.....

If you have to ask, you don't need this monitor!

mobird said:
    Yeah, except people are too stupid to read signs. I read a story once about a guy who sat on a 2000 year old chair from some Chinese dynasty in a museum and broke it, and he had to go past a railing, climb up on the pedestal and ignore the sign. Can't you just see the office cleaning staff spraying this monitor with Windex and wiping it off with a paper towel?

Or Clorox, like a house keeper we once had used on a very nice leather sofa we also once had.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 61
    bulk001 said:
    Because he wants a bigger screen? Just guess in’ I mean if you are going to drop 6k on a screen that needs its own special cloth you may as well get what you want right?
    Pretty obvious he isn't interested in a monitor.  Seems the only interest is to make an outrageous statement just for the sake of one-upsmanship.  He's describing a television.  There's no practical monitor at 55".
    urahara
  • Reply 19 of 61
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    If it is truly the case that ONLY that Apple cloth will avoid hard to the nano-textured surface of the display, imagine setting the cloth on your desk after use (even temporarily), at which time it picks up small debris that were already present on your desk.  The next time you wipe your display, those debris could get pressed and rubbed against the display.  I can only imagine that could possibly induce the very scratches Apple seeks to have you avoid by using their approved cloth, especially if the said debris were rather hard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 61
    bulk001 said:
    Thanks, genius. They are suggesting there's something wrong with 6K resolution on a 32" screen, which is ridiculous as it's the same density as the 5K iMac. There's also no reason to believe reading on this screen would be any different.
    StrangeDaysurahararandominternetpersonbeeble42watto_cobra