Apple details how to install Mac Pro parts, upgrade RAM and more

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Following a start to Mac Pro sales, Apple on Tuesday revamped a dedicated support webpage with new informational assets covering a range of Mac Pro-related topics including the upgrade of system memory, installation of PCIe cards and more.

Mac Pro Support

Previously reserved for the cylindrical 2013 Mac Pro, Apple's support page was redesigned today with resources specific to the 2019 version that went up for sale today.

Sitting up top are links to pages for macOS support, backing up a Mac and migrating files from one Mac to another, subjects new users are likely to investigate when getting started with the machine.

A second section covers installation of parts both inside and outside the modular Mac. For example, Apple notes up to 1.5TB of memory -- in configurations of 4, 6, 8 or 12 DIMMs -- can be equipped across Mac Pro's 12 memory slots, while the computer's eight PCIe slots support a wide range of cards including up to two Mac Pro Expansion (MPX) modules.

Links to two videos illustrating proper installation of RAM and MPX modules are provided.

Apple also explains how to replace the I/O card and power supply, but warns users to contact a service provider to replace SSD modules and install chassis wheels.

Other topics covered in the document include the connection of multiple displays, a T2 Security Chip explainer, information about RAM types and an overview of supported PCIe cards.

Apple will likely add to the support document as the launch of Mac Pro nears.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    So... Apple made it easy to replace a power supply, but difficult to replace a hard drive.., serious?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 26
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    I still wonder exactly how the flash card replacement works. Does a service provider just back up everything, replace both modules, then copy everything back on? Does it involve an AST run to convince the T2 to trust the new flash cards (I can't imagine this would be the case; they're just bare flash chips)?

Or do service providers have a way to tell the T2 to migrate all data to flash card 1, replace flash card 2 with a bigger one, migrate all data to flash card 2, replace card 1 with a bigger one, then have the T2 balance the data again? As I mentioned in an article a while ago, a similar process is actually possible with RAM on some servers. Hot-swap RAM and hot-add RAM are both possibilities on certain high-end gear. Should be possible for Apple to use similar techniques to swap the flash cards in-place as long as there's enough free space.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    So... Apple made it easy to replace a power supply, but difficult to replace a hard drive.., serious?

... get your 32 bit app capable non-T2 iMacs while you can ...
    support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862

edited December 2019
  • Reply 4 of 26
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    Same goes for adding the wheels ... I guess ‘modular’ does not necessarily mean user/owner modifiable in all cases.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    d_2 said:
    Same goes for adding the wheels ... I guess ‘modular’ does not necessarily mean user/owner modifiable in all cases.
    Well, for $400 they damned well better install the wheels for free!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Well, not perfect, but the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step...

Next up:   Making MacBooks repairable and upgradeable instead of disposable.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    I like the previous Mac better.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, not perfect, but the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step...

They're not disposable. They're recyclable.

watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 9 of 26
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    d_2 said:
    I looked at the steps to install wheels/replace feet. They didn't look terribly difficult, but there were steps to ensure that the steel frame didn't get scratched (wrapping with painters tape before gripping with pliers), as well as some steps to make sure the wheels are aligned with the frame properly (can't think of better phrasing).

As for the Flash Storage - it looks easy to get to, but there is a configuration step related to the T2 chip. I believe that's what Bobolicious indirectly refers to.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:

[MacBooks are] not disposable. They're recyclable.

Oh, now, that's different!   /s

Either way, it's past time for Apple to do for MacBooks what they are doing with the MacPro.
    My grandson wants a MacBook -- but I simply can't justify spending a grand (plus $250 for AppleCare) for a machine that becomes "recyclable" as soon as its tiny little SSD fills up.

dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:

Either way, it's past time for Apple to do for MacBooks what they are doing with the MacPro.
    My grandson wants a MacBook -- but I simply can't justify spending a grand (plus $250 for AppleCare) for a machine that becomes "recyclable" as soon as its tiny little SSD fills up.

But you don’t need to! It’s got TB 3 ports so you can just get an external hard drive. There’s clearly no need for a bigger SSD and anyone saying there is is just a troll. /s
  • Reply 12 of 26
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:

But you don’t need to! It’s got TB 3 ports so you can just get an external hard drive. There’s clearly no need for a bigger SSD and anyone saying there is is just a troll. /s

That would work better if it were a desktop
  • Reply 13 of 26
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Yet that is the response many people here have - just lug a bunch of extra stuff around with your MacBook Pro. Nothing inconvenient about that - and if you forget something it's your own fault, not Apple's fault for only providing one port.
    GeorgeBMacdavgregdysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 26
    1) CPU can't be changed.....no document.
    2) SSD can't be changed or add 256GB to base model....no document.

Only Apple.

Wasn't the MP7.1 marketed as user upgradeable ??
    davgregdysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    thevault said:
    1) CPU can't be changed.....no document.
    2) SSD can't be changed or add 256GB to base model....no document.
    Both of those will need an authorized service shop or an Apple service shop. 

The SSD has custom encryption and requires some care and handling. The user has 2 other options to increase storage internally. They can buy a PCIe SSD and or buy the 3.5” cages in from Pegasus. The NAND cards - they aren’t complete SSDs as the controller resides in the T2 chip on the motherboard - can only come from Apple at this time.

The CPU uses Intel’s LGA3647 socket. A user can upgrade it themselves if they so wish, but it may have security stuff that might make that impossible. Unknown as this time.

Don’t worry about it. People who buy it aren’t worried about it at all.

edited December 2019 watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 26
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Yet that is the response many people here have - just lug a bunch of extra stuff around with your MacBook Pro. Nothing inconvenient about that - and if you forget something it's your own fault, not Apple's fault for only providing one port.
    My gut is telling me that that will be changing -- at least somewhat.  That Apple is beginning to tilt away from its obsession with thin, light, sleek designs and will be giving a greater emphasis to functionality.  That they will be returning to emphasizing both rather than one over the other.

• Reply 17 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:

It’s not. You sell it, and replace it with a Mac with the amount of storage you need. 
  • Reply 18 of 26

They aren’t disposable. MBs can be serviced and repaired, which isn’t the same as user upgradable of course. Just like a flat panel TV or a printer — serviceable even if not upgradable. No idea why you keep confusing these different concepts. 
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:

It’s not. You sell it, and replace it with a Mac with the amount of storage you need. 

Maybe you do.  I don't.  A vendor only gets to sell me crap at high prices one time -- if that.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 26

They aren’t disposable. MBs can be serviced and repaired, which isn’t the same as user upgradable of course. Just like a flat panel TV or a printer — serviceable even if not upgradable. No idea why you keep confusing these different concepts. 

Try taking your 128Gb MBA into an Apple store and tell them to fix it because its saying its full and see how that goes for you.  They won't even fix/upgrade the ones (2017) that it's physically possible (even fairly easy) to change out.  After they finish laughing, they'll tell you to buy a new one.