Tell Me About The "Great Blackout"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The "Old-School AI" thread got me thinking about the great blackout. I had stopped posting/visiting here for a while before it happened, so I don't know the circumstances leading up to it; and I somehow wandered back about a month after AI returned.

Questions for you all: Who knew the blackout was coming? Only Admins? Admins and Mods? Everybody? Was there a warning before it happened or just all of a sudden "Sh*t, AI is gone!"

Also, how did you know when AI returned from it? Had you kept in touch with everybody through e-mail or IM? Did a subscription in your browser tell you?

Overall, I'd like to hear everybody's stories (who was around before and/or after) as to what happened with things.

p.s. I heard that there were possibly TWO blackouts? Explain, if you could. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't know about two blackouts, but as I remember it, there was a lot of downtime in the Spring-Summer of 2001, like several hours or more at a time, maybe a dozen or more times, culminating in a several-month-long complete blackout that ended in November 2001. So it was not entirely a surprise.

I guess some cat kept knocking over the Cube that hosted AI, and they had to keep putting it right-side up again. Why the hosting company put the litter box right next to the Cube, I don't know.

I think people found out it was back when it was announced on MacNN and Bad Flamingo, and maybe elsewhere.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    The AI boards were moved over to a company (if you can call it that) that was infamously hosting AI on a Cube. I worked with the girlfriend of the guy who was running this "company" and hosting the site. They were both total drug addicts (no joke) and they ended up pissing off a bunch of people they owed money to and their service was awful so basically they went black which included the AI boards. Being that I had close contact to the people running the boards I tried my best to get the hard drive but had no luck. These two would disappear for days at a time. Anyway...Monish offered free advertising to the company for the bandwidth but that didn't work and it took some time for the boards to get back up because for the most part they needed to be re-created.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Well for one it wasnt so great. I almost had to get a life
  • Reply 4 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    maybe somewhere out there the cookie sheet thread is still alive and well. *sniff*
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I racked up 2000-some posts over at MacNN.

I was bored. I didn't like MacNN, but I had to feed my forum frenzy somewhere. I still don't like MacNN. That's why I work here.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Hehè...

I survived an other 48 hours blackout ...

AI rules, I can have opinions here ..

Woh lucky to not have used the OLD boards, the black AI was Dell ugly ...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I spent time at MacNN in various threads finding out what was going on. Also, before AI came back, Nick asked me to be a mod.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Well for one it wasnt so great. I almost had to get a life

Yeah, I'm sure that you were not the only one.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Yeah, I'm sure that you were not the only one.

Heh poor eman
  • Reply 10 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Heh poor eman

shut up!

• Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

maybe somewhere out there the cookie sheet thread is still alive and well. *sniff*

Click it. You know you want to.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=17151

8)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    the search is a godsend, isn't it, Brad?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You know what's equally marvelous?

Print to PDF!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

shut up!

Really, EmAn, what did you do when you couldn't inflate your ego by inflating your post count here?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    This is the only "Great Black Out" I remember...

1977...Son of Sam...Disco...Punk Rock....ah, the good 'ol days...continue...