The Apple Pro Display XDR brings 6K to the Mac for $4999

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    vukasika said:
    $5000 Display LMAO!!!!
    Laughing ATWTTB (all the way to the bank). Equivalent quality monitors cost $17k to $43K.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 50
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Well, you got one part right. This sort of equipment is not for you.
    Can you please enlighten me & the rest of the masses on what makes Apple's stand worth $1000?
    The monitor I understand - it's very high-end with features most users don't need or care about, but those who do are willing to pay the money for - and it is cheaper than similarly featured monitors. Great. How does that comparison work with the stand? If $1000 is a fair price, what makes it so?
    dysamoriaCarnage
  • Reply 43 of 50
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting monitor but charging $1000 extra for a stand is a real dick move on Apples part.   Sadly it looks like the marketing crew at Apple still hasn’t come to terms with the reality of the business world outside of their little bit of California.  
    It comes with a stand. This is the upgrade option.
    No Apple materials indicate any such included stand.
    caladanianrlboston
  • Reply 44 of 50
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    vukasika said:
    $5000 Display LMAO!!!!

Then maybe the $43,000 Sony option is a better choice for you?

jasenj1 said:
    There was an audible groan in the room when they announced the $999 stand. Devs recognize a Pro display costs Pro money, but that much for a stand? Too much.

The groans were so loud they threw the presenter(forgot his name) off haha.

I think Apple should apologize and include the stand with the Mac Pro. Yes they will lose some profit but the gain in customer loyalty and Mac Pro sales will be worth it. They could also apologize and lower the price to $299 or something.

netrox said:
    But there is a display offering for that for $39K.... and yet we have a bunch of people whining about the $5K Apple display that exceeds the specs of $39K display?!?! Amateurs. 

The stand being an exception, Apples pricing is ridiculously low. The "Apple is overpriced meme" is shouted by morons who don't understand the value of technology.

My iMac from 2009 is still going strong after years of running pro software and I've seen studios running 15 year old Mac Pros.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 50
    hucom2000 said:
    Am I the only one who's wondering which "Thunderbolt 3 hosts" it's actually compatible with?

ANY? That would mean that it has an internal graphics card. But it doesn't look like it (too thin). 

So then what are the actual technical requirements for the graphics card of the host?
    No, you’re not the only one. At one point during the keynote (at 1:38:40), they featured a MBP connected to one of these, and then two of these, but I’ve not seen any clarity on what are the requirements for running these at full specs.

The current MBP tech specs don't mention anything above two 5K displays. But it does say "Thunderbolt 3 digital video output" ... 
    edited June 2019 hucom2000caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 50
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    Now it would have been really cool if the upgraded stand was also an eGPU case that could accept either a 580X of a Vega.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    I'm curious, I don't work in that environment but I do understand specialized tools. What I don't understand is continuing to put the ports in the middle of the back.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    not_anton said:
    ipilya said:
    I truly believe that this monitor is an excellent piece of kit for the pro-media producer market.... but I am so sad that there is not an option for us developers... or non-media producers... I hate using LG - there have been just way to many issues... please Apple!!!! 
    It is called iMac 27", a full computer at half the price of that display. Perfect developer machine if you don't need graphic professionals' gimmicks and whistles.

"... gimmicks and whistles."
  • Reply 49 of 50
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting monitor but charging $1000 extra for a stand is a real dick move on Apples part.   Sadly it looks like the marketing crew at Apple still hasn’t come to terms with the reality of the business world outside of their little bit of California.  
    Or, they know what they're doing since they're working at the most successful computing and publicly traded company in human history, and you're "Wizard69" on a rumors site. Just a thought. 

Thinking Microsoft.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    vukasika said:
    $5000 Display LMAO!!!!

Then maybe the $43,000 Sony option is a better choice for you?

jasenj1 said:
    There was an audible groan in the room when they announced the $999 stand. Devs recognize a Pro display costs Pro money, but that much for a stand? Too much.

The groans were so loud they threw the presenter(forgot his name) off haha.

I think Apple should apologize and include the stand with the Mac Pro. Yes they will lose some profit but the gain in customer loyalty and Mac Pro sales will be worth it. They could also apologize and lower the price to $299 or something.

netrox said:
    But there is a display offering for that for $39K.... and yet we have a bunch of people whining about the $5K Apple display that exceeds the specs of $39K display?!?! Amateurs. 

The stand being an exception, Apples pricing is ridiculously low. The "Apple is overpriced meme" is shouted by morons who don't understand the value of technology.

My iMac from 2009 is still going strong after years of running pro software and I've seen studios running 15 year old Mac Pros.

True, but have you experienced the quality lately!? It WAS good, but now, today?