Apple News, ABC team up for wide 2020 election coverage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
The 2020 presidential election cycle is the second since the Apple News launch, and Apple is partnering with ABC to enhance coverage for users of the news service.

"Access to quality news and trusted information is always important, and never more so than in an election year," said Lauren Kern, editor-in-chief of Apple News. "We're proud to partner with ABC News to present the millions of people who use Apple News each day with dynamic live coverage and responsible analysis during the major news moments of the 2020 election."

Coverage is not limited to the Democrat candidate debate on February 7. The ABC News and Apple News collaboration will cover the entire process, including Super Tuesday, the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, the general election debates, election night and the 2021 presidential inauguration.

"This election is one of the most consequential in modern history, and this unprecedented partnership with Apple News will deliver our world-class political journalism to more people than ever before," said James Goldston, president of ABC News. "It will enable millions more people to have a deeper understanding of the key issues, candidates and events by providing straightforward information, insight and context during the entire 2020 cycle -- reaching our audience anywhere and anytime they want breaking and in-depth news."

The pairing with ABC for co-hosting duties is likely due to the closeness of Apple with ABC parent company Disney. Apple and Disney have a relatively friendly business relationship spanning many years, though Disney CEO Bob Iger's departure from Apple's board of directors over Apple TV+ has caused some friction between the two entities.

Facebook was previously a co-host for the 2012 and 2016 electoral debates, but there is no word on why the social network isn't doing the same for 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Facebook was previously a co-host for the 2012 and 2016 electoral debates, but there is no word on why the social network isn't doing the same for 2020.
    I'd certainly assume they want to avoid the appearance of being invested in politics altogether in this particular election cycle. Wise move IMO. Their name has come up too often already in connection with the previous two presidential elections and almost universally negative. I guess Apple thinks the potential positives for their business will outweigh the negatives.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    I'd certainly assume they want to avoid the appearance of being invested in politics altogether in this particular election cycle. Wise move IMO. Their name has come up too often already in connection with the previous two presidential elections and almost universally negative. I guess Apple thinks the potential positives for their business will outweigh the negatives.
    It’s a bad move and Tim should know better. Unfortunately, he’s not able to keep his personal political biases out of it and that viewpoint will undoubtedly taint Apple News’ coverage. Steve Jobs at least knew to always keep the focus on Apple.
    edited December 2019 entropysd_2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    So far at least, Tim seems to have walked the fine line very well.  My worry is the Bezos effect occurring warranted or not and I assume that's kind of what you were thinking.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    gatorguy said:
    I'm sure Apple will broadcast the GOP debates when they begin. 
  • Reply 5 of 35
    I spoke with Tim in a conveyance call and he asked me to thank you all for your great advice and he will do whatever you suggest. He also wanted apologize for not doing his job as well as most AI readers could.
    lkruppMacProbadmonkminicoffeewatto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 6 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    spice-boy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Except there won’t BE any GOP debates to cover. Trump has already said he probably will not debate any challenger. And I’m not aware of any GOP challengers that matter anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 35

spice-boy said:
    I spoke with Tim in a conveyance call and he asked me to thank you all for your great advice and he will do whatever you suggest. He also wanted apologize for not doing his job as well as most AI readers could.
    Tim knows which side of his bread is buttered. That’s why he kowtows to his hater contingent. 
  • Reply 8 of 35
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Except there won’t BE any GOP debates to cover. Trump has already said he probably will not debate any challenger. And I’m not aware of any GOP challengers that matter anyway.
    Once again missed my point, people are calling out Apple for giving an outlet to a political debate saying it looks like an endorsement of a particular party. My point is there will only one party holding these debates so how could it look like bias. 
    minicoffee
  • Reply 9 of 35

lkrupp said:

spice-boy said:
    Tim knows which side of his bread is buttered. That’s why he kowtows to his hater contingent. 
    I don't follow what you are saying?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lkrupp said:

spice-boy said:
    Ignore or politely sidestep not kowtow.  A CEO has to put shareholders' interests above any personal feelings and I for one prefer he does whatever my feelings.  $280+ and rising!
  • Reply 11 of 35
    spice-boy said:

lkrupp said:

spice-boy said:

I think he’s saying Apple News will be reporting with a Democratic bias.  That view is coming from the fact there will not be a Republican debate...unless of course President Trump gets impeached.

The reality is there’s no need for a Republican debate, when Trump spews his stream of consciousness on Twitter.

Until a candidate address the Fed. Deficits (Democrat or Republican) I consider all of them to be spewing political rhetoric, and wasting everyone’s time.  Sure I love to have medical coverage for all...Ok, now let’s talk dollars and cents.

• Reply 12 of 35
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    gatorguy said:
    Actually Facebook played a pivotal role in the 2016 Trump campaign, both with fund raising and directed advertising and this ignores the Russian misinformation campaign stuff.  Facebook facilitated the placement of advertising directly.  Mark Z just wants to ensure the same relationship goes forward in the future.

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/facebook-won-trump-election-not-just-fake-news/

among many articles that were written about this.
    montrosemacs
  • Reply 13 of 35
    spice-boy said:

lkrupp said:

spice-boy said:
    I guess our ideas of sarcasm differ.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 14 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    badmonk said:
    gatorguy said:
    Actually Facebook played a pivotal role in the 2016 Trump campaign, both with fund raising and directed advertising and this ignores the Russian misinformation campaign stuff.  Facebook facilitated the placement of advertising directly.  Mark Z just wants to ensure the same relationship goes forward in the future.

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/facebook-won-trump-election-not-just-fake-news/

among many articles that were written about this.
    Pretty sure that's what I was referring to which received largely negative feedback in the media during the two previous cycles. Facebook was skewered then and still is. So where's the articles or even reliable indications about Facebook doing the same thing this next year? You've linked three year old stuff. What was your point of disagreement if you have nothing?
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Isn’t this about the 2020 election overall not just democratic debates? Since Trump is the incumbent and doesn’t have serious challengers of course the focus now will be on the Democrat debates/primaries.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Those who whine 'bias' when this subject comes up need to remember that Apple is moving hard into content delivery. News is content. If the GOP had not shut out challenges to their ticket, Apple would have provided support to their debates as well.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 17 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    It’s a bad move and Tim should know better. Unfortunately, he’s not able to keep his personal political biases out of it and that viewpoint will undoubtedly taint Apple News’ coverage. Steve Jobs at least knew to always keep the focus on Apple.
    Steve Jobs hosted Bill Clinton at his home during campaigns. He contributed cash to and provided Mac hardware to several Democratic campaigns. Also, he sent new models of iPhones to President Obama before any of us got them. If he was alive today, I'm pretty sure he would be pretty active in the resistance. He would have never went to the White House like Tim did.
    edited December 2019 montrosemacs
  • Reply 18 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Appleish said:
    Those who whine 'bias' when this subject comes up need to remember that Apple is moving hard into content delivery. News is content. If the GOP had not shut out challenges to their ticket, Apple would have provided support to their debates as well.
    You say that like its a bad thing. Every incumbent shuts out challenges. Clinton never debated in his re-election and neither did Obama.
    Appleish said:
    gatorguy said:
    Steve Jobs hosted Bill Clinton at his home during campaigns. He contributed cash to and provided Mac hardware to several Democratic campaigns. Also, he sent new models of iPhones to President Obama before any of us got them. If he was alive today, I'm pretty sure he would be pretty active in the resistance. He would have never went to the White House like Tim did.
    “Resistance” I have to laugh every time someone uses that term. You all have been watching too much Star Wars. 
  • Reply 19 of 35
    razorpit said:
    Appleish said:
    You say that like its a bad thing. Every incumbent shuts out challenges. Clinton never debated in his re-election and neither did Obama.
    20% of red states canceled their primaries. It wasn't the 'incumbent.' It was the party. If there was a fair Republican primary, Individual 1 would be in bigger trouble than he is now. And they know it. They don't care what their voters want. 
    spice-boymontrosemacs
  • Reply 20 of 35
    spice-boy said:

lkrupp said:

spice-boy said:

I think he’s saying Apple News will be reporting with a Democratic bias.  That view is coming from the fact there will not be a Republican debate...unless of course President Trump gets impeached.

The reality is there’s no need for a Republican debate, when Trump spews his stream of consciousness on Twitter.

Until a candidate address the Fed. Deficits (Democrat or Republican) I consider all of them to be spewing political rhetoric, and wasting everyone’s time.  Sure I love to have medical coverage for all...Ok, now let’s talk dollars and cents.

Are you saying your life or my life has a price point? The national debt favor weapon contracts over who get medical care?