Hands on: Titanium Apple Watch Edition Series 5 is worth the extra cost

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    tjwolf said:
    I think the title is bullocks.  Basically the article just articulates the author's preference rather than any objective data.  For instance, he highlights the titanium watch's supposed imperviousness relative to the $400 cheaper aluminum watch.  Sure, in theory, titanium is "stronger" than aluminum, but in practice your aluminum watch will likely never get scratches - I've had Watch 1, Watch 2 (because Watch 1's screen shattered falling from a locker room locker), and Watch 4 - all aluminum.  None of them ever scratched.  And, like another poster, I live a pretty active lifestyle.
    The author lists aluminum's weight (or lack thereof) as another reason for titanium's superiority - because while not lighter, it's "just right"?!?  I have always had the larger watch and have *always* wished it were a little lighter (and, even more so, a little thinner).   And, besides, with a Milanese loop stainless link band, you can always add weight, if you insist on more weight.

Really the only reason I can think anybody will go for the more expensive materials Apple sells is to show off.  And judging by the photos the author provides, you can't even easily do that with the Titanium watch as, in black at least, it's pretty much indistinguishable from the other two finishes.  So if you want to show off, you gotta go enamel.
    Solid points! I have the Series 0 Stainless steel watch still hanging around. I finally upgraded to series 4 last year because of the bigger display and better battery life. I've got another good 4 years left on series 4 before I see an upgrade. Titanium was intially devised to be used in aircraft because of its lighter weight and being as strong as steel. Its use in jewelry is simply hilarious and the reason to why it scratches is that Titanium oxidises easily and the surface dulls, this oxidised coating is less strong than the Titanium itself and as it is darker than the metal beneath scratches are more visible than they would be with stainless steel.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    svanstrom said:
    What I really want to know is how the plain titanium looks combined with the milanese loop.

I really love titanium, but my guess right now is that I'll end up with the stainless steel watch simply because there's nothing "premium" about matching the plain titanium watch with the milanese loop that is a perfect match for the stainless steel watch. Which really seems like a huge oversight; shouldn't this have been a priority? Or is that mismatch considered a design feature?
    It'll look great with the Milanese Loop — as long as it's the black finished band version. The plain Ti AW5 still has black screen edge accents that work perfectly in that combination. But yeah, the silver Milanese isn't going to work.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    roake said:
    These are some of the finest first-world problems that I have ever encountered.
    Well thank you Mister Obvious.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    I bought the titanium natural finish, had to return it after 4 weeks, the titanium is getting damaged by the fabric sports loop plastic end bar and the watch has scratched very easily after a light brush against an aluminium door handle. Not sure if the black titanium with the DLC is more durable...
  • Reply 45 of 47
    I've had the aluminium series 4 in black and am deciding which to replace it with as the screen smashed from a very small fall 😭. However, I had noticed quite a few scratches on the screen before this which was already pointing me in the direction of the stainless steel or titanium models as I believe the sapphire glass screen is more scratch resistant than the Ion-X glass. Is anyone able to confirm if this is the case? Otherwise I would just go and get a new aluminium version and save some $$$, Cheers Ash
  • Reply 46 of 47
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    The sapphire screen is MUCH more scratch-resistant. 

However it too can shatter, of course. 
  • Reply 47 of 47
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    AshtanJW said:
    I've had the aluminium series 4 in black and am deciding which to replace it with as the screen smashed from a very small fall 😭. However, I had noticed quite a few scratches on the screen before this which was already pointing me in the direction of the stainless steel or titanium models as I believe the sapphire glass screen is more scratch resistant than the Ion-X glass. Is anyone able to confirm if this is the case? Otherwise I would just go and get a new aluminium version and save some $$$, Cheers Ash
    Second to confirm this.

As far as watch per money spent the aluminium version is a very bad choice, and should only be bought if you really want an apple watch, and in no way can afford the stainless steal version.