Apple reportedly investigating new corporate lease in Pittsburgh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple is reportedly eyeing a 90,000-square-foot space in the Pittsburgh Athletic Association building in Oakland, Pitt., a 108-year-old structure currently undergoing a $25 million renovation.

Pittsburgh Athletic Association
Pittsburgh Athletic Association building.

Citing real estate sources, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Apple is in discussions with site developer Walnut Capital for a piece of the historic property located on Oakland's Fifth Avenue.

Whether the new lease would represent a move or expansion to Apple's existing Pittsburgh operations is unclear. Since 2015, the tech giant has leased one half of a 53,000-square-foot office at 3 Crossings in the Strip District, an office that as of two years ago fielded about 50 employees.

For Apple, a move into the Pittsburgh Athletic Association would mark a return to an area ripe with collegiate talent, as the building is near both the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University. Previously, the company ran a corporate office out of the Robert Mehrabian Collaborative Innovation Center at CMU.

Apple's interest in Pittsburgh began in 2001, when the company set up a small operation of about 10 employees. The office, mostly responsible for software development, has made contributions to the iWork suite of apps, the report said. Apple also buys specialty stainless steel from Pittsburgh firm Allegheny Technologies for use in iMac and Mac Pro.

Pittsburgh is one of few states to boast an Apple corporate office. While the iPhone maker is typically known for its facilities in California and Austin, it also holds property in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Washington and various locales along the Eastern seaboard.

In 2018, Apple announced plans to bolster employment at new and existing corporate sites across the U.S. in an aggressive investment initiative that includes a $1 billion campus in Austin. Pittsburgh was named alongside Boston, New York and Portland, Ore., as sites set to receive major expansions in the coming years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    For over 100 years the Pittsburgh Athletic Association building was an exclusive private club for the city's famous industrialists, politicians and academic leaders. In more recent times it was known as the place where Mister Rogers took his daily lunchtime swim. Present plans call for downsizing the meeting and athletic facilities, but they will be maintained, including the pool!

Wikipedia offers a nice summary of the P.A.A. and its building here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Athletic_Association. Partner Walnut Capital owns and manages large amounts of commercial and residential real estate in Pittsburgh's East End, especially the most desirable sections of Oakland and Shadyside. 

Two minor corrections: Pittsburgh, of course, is a city, not a state, And you mean :"rife with" not "ripe with."

dewmebuckalecrazorpitd_2GeorgeBMacSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Why would Apple want to stray away from its mecca - bay area? I guess, even Apple gets fed up with taxes and wants to diversify their engineering center portfolio so they are not that easy of a victim to grabby politicians
  • Reply 3 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Why would Apple want to stray away from its mecca - bay area? I guess, even Apple gets fed up with taxes and wants to diversify their engineering center portfolio so they are not that easy of a victim to grabby politicians
    Don’t worry, we have our grabby politicians here too. They just aren’t as bold as the ones in CA yet, but they’re trying.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 17
    The PAA isn’t merely “near” the University of Pittsburgh, it is smack dab in the middle of their campus!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

This area is filled with talent -- within walking distance of 4 different universities (6 if your in good shape!) -- most notably Carnegie Mellon which is one of the world's leading tech schools.   In addition to Apple, Pittsburgh hosts a number advanced researched facilities including those in the autonomous driving field.

The steel mills, unfortunately, are long gone and replaced with a rapidly advancing technology industry.

They don't come to Pittsburgh for taxes or political expediency -- but for the talent.
    ronncincyteeSpamSandwichrazorpitStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 17
    cecil4444 said:
    The PAA isn’t merely “near” the University of Pittsburgh, it is smack dab in the middle of their campus!

That's true.  But equally as important if not more so, just a very few blocks from Carnegie Mellon University - one of the world's leading technological institutes.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    For over 100 years the Pittsburgh Athletic Association building was an exclusive private club for the city's famous industrialists, politicians and academic leaders. In more recent times it was known as the place where Mister Rogers took his daily lunchtime swim. Present plans call for downsizing the meeting and athletic facilities, but they will be maintained, including the pool!

Wikipedia offers a nice summary of the P.A.A. and its building here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Athletic_Association. Partner Walnut Capital owns and manages large amounts of commercial and residential real estate in Pittsburgh's East End, especially the most desirable sections of Oakland and Shadyside. 

Two minor corrections: Pittsburgh, of course, is a city, not a state, And you mean :"rife with" not "ripe with."

As a young adult I used to play racquetball there.   We were always on our very best, polite behavour and knew not to speak louder than a whisper.

50 years ago Pittsburgh had more corporate headquarters than any place in the world - including New York.   So, those honchos needed places like the Duquesne Club and PAA to hobnob and plan (or was it collude?) together.
    razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 17
    This article was confusing. They really should have said Pittsburgh, PA somewhere in the article. Oakland, Pitt made things weird, and then when I assumed they were actually talking about California, being near Carnegie Mellon was mentioned. Calling Pittsburgh a state really didn't help! The link in a comment above to the P.A.A. wikipedia page helped sort things out.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 17
    This area is filled with talent -- within walking distance of 4 different universities (6 if your in good shape!) -- most notably Carnegie Mellon which is one of the world's leading tech schools. In addition to Apple, Pittsburgh hosts a number advanced researched facilities including those in the autonomous driving field.
    Many Great Lakes and Midwest cities boast such amenities. It can be only a matter of time before tech companies and employees get fed up with the insane expenses of Silicon Valley, the Seattle area and Boston and head to these more cost-effective areas.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Everyone’s trying to get the hell out of California since that nut Gavin Newsom got elected. He’s turning the entire State into a homeless wasteland.
    razorpit
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cincytee said:
    This area is filled with talent -- within walking distance of 4 different universities (6 if your in good shape!) -- most notably Carnegie Mellon which is one of the world's leading tech schools. In addition to Apple, Pittsburgh hosts a number advanced researched facilities including those in the autonomous driving field.
    Many Great Lakes and Midwest cities boast such amenities. It can be only a matter of time before tech companies and employees get fed up with the insane expenses of Silicon Valley, the Seattle area and Boston and head to these more cost-effective areas.

There's nothing in the Midwest to compete with Carnegie Mellon for tech.   Tech companies rely on technical achievements.   Lesser organizations survive by avoiding taxes.   Apple was not one of those 91 Fortune 500 companies listed who paid no federal taxes last year.
    razorpit
  • Reply 12 of 17
    This article was confusing. They really should have said Pittsburgh, PA somewhere in the article. Oakland, Pitt made things weird, and then when I assumed they were actually talking about California, being near Carnegie Mellon was mentioned. Calling Pittsburgh a state really didn't help! The link in a comment above to the P.A.A. wikipedia page helped sort things out.
    California, PA is not that far from there. Maybe a 90 minute drive with traffic.  ;)
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Everyone’s trying to get the hell out of California since that nut Gavin Newsom got elected. He’s turning the entire State into a homeless wasteland.
    Laughable opinion masquerading as fact. The reason why CA is expensive is precisely because everyone *isnt* trying to leave there. You must not understand economics very well, but it’s the law of supply and demand. Because of how attractive CA is, it’s in very, very high demand. Thus the real estate prices and traffic density. When I first moved to San Diego I was warned of the “sunshine dollars” effect, where salaries were lower because employers knew there was no shortage of applicants  
    edited December 2019 GeorgeBMacRadio_Signal
  • Reply 14 of 17
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Apple probably pays less in taxes than you and I do, my guess it's about 11% on earnings, I pay about 33%.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    spice-boy said:
    Apple probably pays less in taxes than you and I do, my guess it's about 11% on earnings, I pay about 33%.

American corporations are paying less tax than ever.  Last year there were 91 Fortune 500 companies that paid no federal tax at all.  Meanwhile, we are running Trillion dollar deficits with no end in sight.  Well, I guess somebody floating down the Niagra River wouldn't see the end either -- it's not a wall but a cliff.

After the turn of the century, fiscal responsibility became just a quaint memory like fins on a car.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    spice-boy said:

American corporations are paying less tax than ever.  Last year there were 91 Fortune 500 companies that paid no federal tax at all.  Meanwhile, we are running Trillion dollar deficits with no end in sight.  Well, I guess somebody floating down the Niagra River wouldn't see the end either -- it's not a wall but a cliff.

After the turn of the century, fiscal responsibility became just a quaint memory like fins on a car.
    How come spending less is never an option?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    razorpit said:
    spice-boy said:

How come spending less is never an option?

Perhaps because the spending is necessary -- just as generating revenue is.
    Strange that those who push private enterprise don't seem to understand that any enterprise, public or private, needs to both invest in itself and raise revenue.