Not every Mac Pro is assembled in Texas

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Apple don’t want to make products in USA. It is quite clear.
     They are somewhat forced to do that, to keep Trump happy...
    svanstrom
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Interesting discussion, but that  imho miss the important point: if Apple use at least two factories to build them, it means they expect to sell quite a lot of them.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    Maurizio said:
    Interesting discussion, but that  imho miss the important point: if Apple use at least two factories to build them, it means they expect to sell quite a lot of them.
    I'm not sure if the reason is demand or more logistics and politics.

Since the Mac Pro went to the cylindrical design, I saw it more as a pseudo BTO scenario. I'm not sure if these new Pros are meant for retail/warehouse storage as opposed to being built on demand. 

It's difficult to tell what demand will be like.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Maurizio said:
    Not exactly foolproof logic there.

Apple could have just done a sort of trial run to get prepared if the trade war with China got worse. Or maybe they expect some contracts with people that wouldn't buy these in bulk, or even just a single one, if they physically came assembled in China. Or perhaps it was a planned marketing thing they chose not to leverage. Or maybe they failed to produce enough in 🇺🇸 and had to fall back on having them built in China. Or overwhelming demand made them use a second factory. Or maybe they didn't expect the Chinese factory to be able to deliver in large enough quantities. Or maybe they just really really really wanted to avoid failing to deliver if their single supplier failed them. Or maybe negotiations with the Chinese seemed dicy at the time.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    mike54 said:
    Not American nor even remotely consider China an enemy, so it not being assembled in the USA makes no difference to me, if anything a positive.
    Chinese manufacturing under competent supervision it as good quality as any other country could be.
    It doesn't have to be an enemy just because you don't want to support something.

Like I won't go to war against my local convenience store for using unnecessary amount of plastic to wrap everything, nor do I spend sleepless nights planning their demise, but I do make it something of a priority to not shop there.

With the sh*t China does it very much is a priority for me to avoid shopping (from) there. That doesn't necessarily make them an enemy.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    mknelson said:
    hodar said:
    The Braille on what appears to be a handle attachment, is something very clever.  No clue what it says, as online sources don't seem to agree a whole lot on any particular standardized version of Braille - which is surprising.
    I'm thinking it might be a visual cue for a manufacturing robot.
    Yep, I was thinking either a fiducial, or a code that signifies which CNC machine that part was machined on. Maybe both.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    macmarcus said:

Well that sounds like President Trump was actually right, he did keep the Texas factory open, if Apple is otherwise ignoring it outside the US, also explains why there has been very little advertising of it being built in the US like the 2013 was.
    Nope. Apple had no plans to close the factory.
    To be fair, Apple had ZERO plans to build the Mac Pro in the USA even if for just the USA or North America. So, yes, Trump can get a shout out for that part of it.
    Wrong, Trump is not on Apple's board of directors, his understanding and knowledge of Apple is limited to his tweet device an iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

flydog said:
    macmarcus said:

Well that sounds like President Trump was actually right, he did keep the Texas factory open, if Apple is otherwise ignoring it outside the US, also explains why there has been very little advertising of it being built in the US like the 2013 was.
    To be fair, Apple had ZERO plans to build the Mac Pro in the USA even if for just the USA or North America. So, yes, Trump can get a shout out for that part of it.
    The plant existed long before Trump was president, and you’ve offered zero facts that support your illogical conclusion (because there are none).
    But someone it only got realized after the repatriation taxes were cut, and the business tax was cut. Also, where were those US Mac machines prior to 2017-2018? 
    Someone the plans were "there" but nothing came out of them. 
    I guess you are right if Trump was not president we would never have gotten a computer that was several years in development. 
  • Reply 29 of 35
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    The whole “Made in USA” thing is much ado about nothing as the supply chain is global for this Mac Pro as it is for other Apple hardware.

Note it says “assembled” in the USA - not “made” in the USA.

My “German” car was assembled in Mexico with an engine from Germany and a transmission from Japan, tires and steel from the USA, etc. So is it Mexican, German or what? In the end it really does not matter.

My guess regarding assembly in Texas is that the decision served two purposes:
    1- It is good PR to make something in the USA and the high end Mac Pro is not as price sensitive as an entry level iMac.
    2- It was insurance in case of a full on trade war. We are not out if the woods yet on trade as these deals ( or amendments ) require Congressional approval. The legal title for these are Congressional-Executive Agreements as they use this legal construct to avoid the cumbersome process of a Treaty that requires a 2/3rds vote in the US Senate- a Congressional- Executive Agreement can be passed with a simple majority.
    gatorguyspice-boywatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    maxit said:
    Apple don’t want to make products in USA. It is quite clear.
     They are somewhat forced to do that, to keep Trump happy...
    No, that's far from "clear."

Apple balances many factors (e.g., tax laws, labor costs, engineering skills in the market, transportation costs, vendor lock-in, etc.).  If "Made is America" enters their calculation at all it's only as a positive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Apple did not intent on having any manufacturing US jobs at all, until the repatriation tax was cut.... 
    And yet they were already manufacturing the previous generation Mac Pro in the US before that.  It's not like that plant was sitting empty and doing nothing for the last 6 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35
    spice-boy said:

flydog said:
    macmarcus said:

The plant existed long before Trump was president, and you’ve offered zero facts that support your illogical conclusion (because there are none).
    But someone it only got realized after the repatriation taxes were cut, and the business tax was cut. Also, where were those US Mac machines prior to 2017-2018? 
    Someone the plans were "there" but nothing came out of them. 
    I guess you are right if Trump was not president we would never have gotten a computer that was several years in development. 
    Nice way of dishonestly conflating "manufacturing a product" with "designing a product". 
    Of course Trump has nothing to do with a particular product being designed by Apple. But his tax plan that worked, allowed Apple to bring SOME JOBS back to the US because it became less punishing for Apple to do so.
    Without the tax plan, all those computers would be still assembled in China, Taiwan, India 100%.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 33 of 35

auxio said:

Apple did not intent on having any manufacturing US jobs at all, until the repatriation tax was cut.... 
    And yet they were already manufacturing the previous generation Mac Pro in the US before that.  It's not like that plant was sitting empty and doing nothing for the last 6 years.
    except that in those previous 6 years, Apple would get taxed on the money they brought bak to the US TWICE as much, comparing to what they are paying for it now. Minor detail that you have forgotten...
    I don't know how much you make and what businesses you operate (suspecting that not that many, if any) but any significant reduction of expenses/tax is a huge bonus for a business or a private person.... even if you are warren buffet. Of course, warren understands that, but you clearly forget about that reality..
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 34 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    macmarcus said:
    Incorrect. The Texas factory was opened and running long before Mr Trump ran for office: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/20/us/politics/trump-texas-apple-factory.html

If you're going to credit a president for a factory (which is completely silly in the first place), this one goes to President Obama. The Foxconn Milwaukee scam "factory" credit goes to Mr. Trump*.

*(again, not really -- presidents don't make deals for factories. Mr. Trump just TOOK credit for the Foxconn debacle away from its actual perpetrator, Gov. Scott Walker)

edited December 2019