Safari makes a weird sound...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Not really sure if this is a hardware of software issue, but...

whenever I'm using secure sites with Safari (example, bank account or credit card pages), I'm noticing this weird shrieking sound that my Powerbook (12") is making as Safari is loading the page... it's not a particularly loud sound, like I wouldn't notice it if I have music on, but in a quiet room it's noticeable... and it definitely doesn't make these noises when browsing normal pages

any ideas/thoughts? i know, it's a very nitpicky thing but i'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of this

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Do you have it set to alert you when you load a secure site? It could be the alert sound.

Or, as usual, try repairing permissions.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    How do I repair permissions? (I'm a switcher... pardon my ignorance)

I don't think it's set to have an alert sound when i go into a secure site... and I'm not sure how you set that anyway. But I would think that this sound would occur when I first browse into a secure site. These sounds occur as I'm navigating the secure site and as Safari is loading pages...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Strange, try doing it with volume on mute to see if it is a sound output issue?

Permissions can be fixed in Disk First Aid using /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app though I'm not sure how that would help.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    wow, good idea... I just muted the sound and logged into my bank account webpage... same strange sound occurs as the pages are loading.. now I'm *really* curious

Don't take this the wrong way... this isn't a complaint at all, just something I noticed and trying to figure out what's going on, cause it does seem strange...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you'll think i'm nuts, but i swear the video card on my laptop makes noise while viewing stuff.

i would guess it's the same thing for you.

just for kicks, try loading a completely static webpage.

then load a page with a changing banner ad. see if you hear the noise both times or not. or try scrolling etc. anything that uses the GPU.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    happens to me too, esp when scrolling or dragging windows... but I also have a much bigger "problem"... (actually it just happened now while double clicking on a word in the post box or wwhatever) what happens is that my gfx card "beeps" it is fairly loud... enough for me to hear it with music and headphones at a medium level... do a search for my thread on my powerbook beeping and you will see what i mean...

example #1 my original thread
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Are you sure it's not just the hard drive spinning and clicking as it's caching data? The notebook drives are relatively pretty quiet, but you can still certainly hear them pretty well when they are accessing lots of data.

On a related note, how much RAM do you have? The less RAM you have, the more the system will hit the hard drive for virtual memory (which will both make the system slower and will grind the hard drive as it is constantly accessing).
  • Reply 8 of 12
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    no you guys are not crazy. I have a ti 1ghz superdirve 1gb ram 60 gb hd and it does the exact same thing. Its not the hard drive because it would do it all the time if it was. Its not the speakers. I dont know why it would be the graphics card or processor but im like 99 percent sure that it is. If you listen closely you can hear the graphics card almost purring when you scoll through any window. I think its just the graphics card doing its thing. But the safari thing is weird. thats the only browser it does it in too!

i don't know...try submitting a bug to apple if they get enough maybe theyll look into it!

chris
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I'm pretty sure it isn't the hard drive... cause I would think that if it were, this noise would be occuring all the time as pages load in my browser. Also, my machine has 640 mb of ram.

Plus, this noise doesn't happen when I scroll pages whether I'm at a secure site or not. It only happens when the pages are loading at the secure site. I haven't heard this same noise as I'm scrolling a window, ever.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It is the graphics card--there are reprts over at macintouch. Some believe it is the inverter, but most think it is the graphics card.

WHY? I haven't the faintest. So far as we know, it isn't dangerous.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, i've got a GB of ram in my machine too, still makes that noise. it's something about the images it's displaying. i only hear it when the room is silent, but it's definatlely there.

glad to know i'm not nuts
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I get this same thing on my 15" 667DVI PowerBook that I've had since September. Sometimes I can hear this high-pitched sound coming from under the keyboard. The sound varies sometimes. For some reason I assumed that it was my airport. But from what you guys are saying it might be my videocard then. It's definitely not the hard drive though.