Apple restarts betas with first builds of iOS 13.3.1, iPadOS 13.3.1, watchOS 6.1.2, tvOS 1...

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2019
Apple has restarted the beta-testing process for what is likely to be the last time in 2019, issuing developers the first test builds of iOS 13.3.1, iPadOS 13.3.1, watchOS 6.1.2, tvOS 13.3.1, and macOS 10.15.3.

The latest builds can be downloaded by developers in the beta-testing scheme via the Apple Developer Center, or as an over-the-air update for hardware already using earlier beta builds. A public beta version of the releases is expected to start arriving soon, and will be available through the Apple Beta Software Program website.

Apple completed the beta-testing cycle for iOS 13.3, iPadOS 13.3, watchOS 6.1.1, and tvOS 13.3 on Dec. 10, after undergoing four rounds for each.

Release notes for the new beta builds have yet to be provided by Apple, but the minor version number changes suggest the iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS builds are performance and bug fix updates rather than introducing major new features.

Both AppleInsider and Apple strongly suggest users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. Instead, the recommendation is to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data before making any major changes.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update 1:34 Pacific: Added information about watchOS 6.1.2 beta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hopefully they will FINALLY fix the lost Music playlist issue when using the Recognize My Voice option in iOS. Until it is fixed you really can't use any of the multi user iOS features unless you never want to access your playlist in Music.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Really need them to address background apps shutting down. Makes my Thermoworks app almost useless. When you have an app to monitor cooker temperatures in the background it would be nice if the OS allowed it to do that.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Waze has also issues with 13.3 on iphone, when done with the app after driving I close the app but the app remains in the top corner of the screen!
    When touching Top corner Waze restarts and THEN you can close it properly.
    So their seems to be still ram management issues on iOS...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    razorpit said:
    Really need them to address background apps shutting down. Makes my Thermoworks app almost useless. When you have an app to monitor cooker temperatures in the background it would be nice if the OS allowed it to do that.
    Sounds like a dev issue. App suspension is normal and expected, apps that wish to avoid it must use one of the background process techniques. 

There was a bug where iOS was suspending background apps too quickly, but it’s been fixed already. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Waze has also issues with 13.3 on iphone, when done with the app after driving I close the app but the app remains in the top corner of the screen!
    Mmmm. 

Or it could be a bug in Waze. 
    mike1llama
  • Reply 6 of 8
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    Sounds like a dev issue. App suspension is normal and expected, apps that wish to avoid it must use one of the background process techniques. 

There was a bug where iOS was suspending background apps too quickly, but it’s been fixed already. 
    I haven’t been staying up tp date on what’s been fixed and when but I noticed when 13 was released. Like everything I’m sure Apple changed somethings in how background processes are handled that the app developer is unaware of.

I contacted the developer yesterday and they are aware of the issue. Supposedly they are working with Apple. Keeping my fingers crossed. Nothing like having a $250 temperature controller/monitor that doesn’t warn you when things aren’t going the way they should be.  :(

Now that I think about it I have an Anova that I haven’t used in a while. I might fire that up and see if it does the same thing. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Sounds like a Waze problem.
    llamaSating
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    With all the clowns pushing Catalina, I went ahead and tried it. Well, it's been a disaster with hangs from LSD and all sorts of other performance problems. GPU performance seems to be the only upside to the downgrade (no, I don't consider Catalina to be a holistic upgrade) - otherwise it's turning out to just be a big circlejerk.