Apple News+ publishers see subscriber benefits amid low revenue

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple News+ is still not providing enough revenue to publishers, a report claims, but the platform is still assisting content producers in extending the reach of publications.

Over the nine months of the existence of Apple News, numerous reports have suggested publishers are unhappy with its ability to generate revenue. As the end of the year approaches, yet another report offers a similar view, with the service only providing modest income and relatively little in the way of benefit to publishers.

An unidentified magazine executive speaking to Digiday claims "We're happy to be on there because it's another way to increase subscription revenue, but not like it's a huge boon for our business or anything like that. It's not really relevant."

That particular publication is claiming that the $20,000 per month that it earns isn't enough. But, the gain in subscriptions is apparently just enough to keep the firm sufficiently interested in renewing its contract.

The level of success in outreach is where another publisher, Essence, is seeing positive results, with it "encouraged" by how much it has increased subscriptions since joining. The publisher added Apple News+ was also beneficial in helping grow Essence's audience in territories outside the United States.

How publications are presented to subscribers has split opinions, with the unnamed publisher suggesting it was hard to distinguish magazines between properties on the service. Essence chief content and creative officer MoAna Luu offered her magazine appears "as if it were a native Essence property."

Apple's overall control over the service is a problem to the unnamed publisher, specifically Apple's ability to serve advertising with third-party ad tracking. A way to encourage Apple News+ customers to subscribe directly is sought by the publisher -- but is unlikely to occur anytime soon.

The primary concern for the publisher is how it could make money via new revenue streams on the service, and it would likely renew its contract for another year.

Throughout 2019, multiple reports have claimed that Apple News and Apple News+ are less than stellar for publishers in terms of performance. Before the launch of Apple News+, one February report indicated publishers were seeing low revenues in part due to a minimal number of ads shown alongside content.

In April, Apple was accused of giving unequal aid to participating Apple News+ publishers, with most of its assistance provided to larger publishers. In June, Apple apparently sought to refine how Apple News+ operated, following complaints from publishers over the service failing to meet promises of increased revenue.

By August, some publishers in Europe were seeing improvements in Apple News revenue, despite Apple News+ not being made available in most of the markets. Some publications saw ad impressions for April to June triple with revenue doubling, seemingly suggesting Apple's changes were working.

However, notable names in publishing like Conde Nast are still waiting for Apple News+ to be a significant earner. Speaking in November, Conde Nast CEO Roger Lynch complained the publications saw an initial burst of new subscribers, but interest failed to continue.

"I hope Apple News+ is wildly successful," Lynch said at the time, "[However] I think the jury is out."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Nobody has gotten this right yet including Apple. Does anyone reading this subscribe or even browse News? 
    sdw2001
  • Reply 2 of 23
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I did subscribe, I cancelled. It wasn't worth it when half the stories that were blocked I could get somewhere else or just weren't worth reading. Maybe I'm not the target audience though. I recently cancelled my NYTimes subscription as well. $40 a month for Sunday papers was just too high. I can't be the only one trying to avoid being nickel and dimed by subscription services.
    chemengin1JWSCGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I read News al the time. But I dropped my initial subscription to News+ as I found that I disliked paging through magazines in the hopes of finding something interesting and that I especially disliked having to skip over page after page of magazine advertising.

I prefer the more curated experience of News, and only rarely do I stop and see an article that's only available in News+ that I want to read.

Most of the problems would be solved if Apple would simply do an Apple "Prime" subscription service with an Apple Music, TV, News, Arcade and iCloud storage bundle. Be glad to pay, say,  $199 a year for it.
    jcs2305lolliverGeorgeBMacsteveau
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I'm a subscriber, but I really don't like the new UI. Since Apple bought Texture in order to launch News, why not borrow from the excellent UI that made Texture such a hit. Something simple like downloading content to read off-line was easy-peasy. Now it needs a tutorial. Yes, Texture could sometimes be slow to download, but that's because their backend infrastructure wasn't robust enough to handle the growth they experienced. Not so for Apple.

In addition, features that were once part of a magazine are no longer there. As an example, there was a feature for The New Yorker that allowed a user to "Read the cartoons first". That's now gone. In other words, the new News app is less functional and harder to use and navigate than Texture was prior to Apple closing it.

The failure of News to catch on with a large audience will stay that way until Apple realizes that it's not always the best arbiter of what constitutes a good UI and what doesn't. It may be time for them to hold a marketing session to find out what real subscribers want, not the engineering department's idea of a magazine app.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    hmlongco said:
    I read News al the time. But I dropped my initial subscription to News+ as I found that I disliked paging through magazines in the hopes of finding something interesting and that I especially disliked having to skip over page after page of magazine advertising.

I prefer the more curated experience of News, and only rarely do I stop and see an article that's only available in News+ that I want to read.

Most of the problems would be solved if Apple would simply do an Apple "Prime" subscription service with an Apple Music, TV, News, Arcade and iCloud storage bundle. Be glad to pay, say,  $199 a year for it.

I would jump on an all in one subscription like you mention..
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ‘News’ has ads
    ’News+’ better not (being a paid subscription)

They’re mashed together in this article, just like in the News App...which is the whole problem.
    razorpit
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I subscribe, but the News+ interface is frustrating.  Recently went on a vacation...and do you think I could find a way to download all 20 magazines that I wanted to be able to read on the airplane?  Nope.  One by one...with some not showing the download option despite NOT already being downloaded. Extremely disappointed with the UX.
    steveau
  • Reply 8 of 23
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    spice-boy said:
    Nobody has gotten this right yet including Apple. Does anyone reading this subscribe or even browse News? 
    Do you seriously think a poll of the dozen or so people that view this forum thread is representative of the 1.5 billion iOS devices in existence?
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 23
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    emig647 said:
    I did subscribe, I cancelled. It wasn't worth it when half the stories that were blocked I could get somewhere else or just weren't worth reading. Maybe I'm not the target audience though. I recently cancelled my NYTimes subscription as well. $40 a month for Sunday papers was just too high. I can't be the only one trying to avoid being nickel and dimed by subscription services.
    A NYT Digital sub is $20 a month, so you can save over the dead tree edition.

The Apple News thing (including the stocks app) points to stories that are paywalled and it also includes sources that I have no confidence in as reliable or unbiased. There is a big difference between opinion on the editorial page and when it guides the selection, tone and content of what is supposed to be straight reporting. I like reading opinion pieces from a spectrum of political viewpoints from Conservative to Liberal, but do not want opinion shaded news reporting. 

If it is owned/controlled by the Murdochs, I have no confidence in it as factual and unbiased.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    spice-boy said:
    I do, although I wish it was more complete in the free form (I would also go for a combo subscription).

I also use Flipboard, but I'm getting rather put off by the toxic, troll-filled commentary, and overly hyperbolic and partizan user generated feeds that get dropped on me. Crowd sourced news keeps ending up as an echo chamber of turds.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Cancelled mine when I realised The Times news only had a small subset of the content which was on their own website (pay walled) and certainly a lot less than the newspaper itself. 

If it had been equivalent I would have kept it as they also had a few magazines I would sometimes read. 
  • Reply 12 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I have subscription fatigue. Will not have anything to do with this.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I really want to like Apple News +. I got the three month trial on Black Friday and have been reading it since. Two big issues with it will keep me from paying when my free trial ends. First. I hate the layout. Hate it. Flipboard is far and above my preferred UI. Apple News is cluttered and confusing. The stacked rows and columns layout is awful. There is no organized way for the eye to proceed through the list of stories. The page scrolls endlessly and becomes overwhelming. The UI is incredibly un-Apple like. I would expect it from Microsoft to match its horrific mess of an OS UI. Second, I'm just not that impressed with the news sources I can access. Magazines are fine, but if I am going to pay, I would really like a service that unlocks/includes some of the big paywalled news services like The NY Times and WashPost. Additionally, no matter how hard I try to curate News with my preferences, I feel like Flipboard has a much better algorithm at figuring out what I want to see. 
  • Reply 14 of 23
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    flydog said:
    spice-boy said:
    Do you seriously think a poll of the dozen or so people that view this forum thread is representative of the 1.5 billion iOS devices in existence?
    Yes, and the most important opinion is my own. Polls don't ask everyone their opinion in case you didn't realize that. 
    cy_starkman
  • Reply 15 of 23
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I subscribed immediately upon the rollout.  But after a few months I lost interest and unsubscribed.  Just not enough time in the day to read it all.

That some publishers are not on board with the format and force you to page through their magazines is unwise.  But Apple isn’t forcing them to do it.
    mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    spice-boy said:
    flydog said:
    spice-boy said:
    Yes, and the most important opinion is my own. Polls don't ask everyone their opinion in case you didn't realize that. 
    In that case, yes. Apple News is the first app I check after I wake up. 
  • Reply 17 of 23
    spice-boy said:

I've subscribed from day one. It's worth every penny.
  • Reply 18 of 23

If Apple is able to roll it out in its secondary and tertiary markets, they will get more subscribers.

Sometimes I wonder if the issue is with the content providers, who want to geo-fence their content, or whether it is an issue of news and content being more localised, as opposed to music, which is more universal.

• Reply 19 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I remain subscribed to it but find that I use it very little.
    For me, the analogy is having cable:   It provides a ton of different programs (or in this case media) but it's all pretty much just junk..

Originally I was excited to get access to the Wall Street Journal -- but I find WSJ on News+ to offer a delayed offerings that are heavily weighted towards their FauxNews like opinion pieces.

I get almost all of my news from free, open web based sources such as Reuters, BBC, CNBC, Apple Insider, etc....
    While I would love to get access to paid sources like the WSJ or Bloomberg, I cannot justify their exorbitant subscription prices.  I thought News+ might help alleviate that problem but it hasn't done much.   So, I stick to my free, web based sources.

I'm hoping News+ will up its game - but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ‘News’ has ads
    ’News+’ better not (being a paid subscription)

They’re mashed together in this article, just like in the News App...which is the whole problem.
    There are ads in News+, just not highly targeted ones from 3rd party advertisers. I assume that's what you refer to.