Satechi launches portable Apple Watch charger with detachable USB-C cable

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2020
Satechi has launched a new Apple Watch charger with a removable USB-C cable, one that allows for unprecedented portability for powering Apple's wrist-worn device by taking advantage of the iPad Pro's port.

Satechi USB-C Magnetic Charging Dock for Apple Watch
Satechi USB-C Magnetic Charging Dock for Apple Watch

The new charger -- The "USB-C Magnetic Charging Dock for Apple Watch" -- is a small, aluminum puck with a USB-C adapter protruding from one side. This allows users to plug the charger directly into any USB-C port, though it also has an included USB-C extension cable for more reach.

Very few, if any, third-party USB-C chargers for Apple Watch have come to market -- let alone one with a detachable cable.

Satechi USB-C Magnetic Charging Dock for Apple Watch connected directly to an iPad Pro
Satechi USB-C Magnetic Charging Dock for Apple Watch connected directly to an iPad Pro

With or without the cable, this charger lets Apple Watch accumulate charge when connected to an iPad Pro or a recent MacBook. This gives potential users an alternative way to recharge the Apple Watch while on the move, without resorting to searching for an outlet or using a separate power bank.

The new Satechi USB-C Magnetic Charging Dock for Apple Watch is available starting today for $44.99 from Satechi directly. Through December 26, shoppers can save 20% by using promo code GIFTSATECHI. Apple offers its own USB-C charger for Apple Watch in 1 meter and 0.3 meter lengths for $29, though it lacks the removable cable element.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Was going to ask what made it portable til I saw the pic. Not sure it is more portable, but still neat. Totally not worth that sort of premium for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Looks great!  It would be better if it was a pass-through device to charge AW and iPad if you wanted.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Idk if I’d charge it using my iPad Pro but I’d definitely use it w a portable charger. 
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    [recanted for relevancy]
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Plugging that directly into an iPad or MacBook seems some combination of risky and awkward.  But that's fine, you don't have to use it that way.

Personally I would have designed it with a "female" USB-C connector so that any USB-C cable would work.  

In other words, I would have made it like Apple's optional charging dock, with USB-C instead of lightning as the connector.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU9F2/apple-watch-magnetic-charging-dock?fnode=80

In any case, $45 for this would have been a better purchase than the $80 I (my wife) spent on the Apple version.

Update: I hadn't realized that Apple has introduced a $29 USB-C Watch charger (as mentioned at the end of the article).  I don't know why anyone would spend $45 on a third party version when Apple sells an equivalent product for less.  (Again, I would be concerned about plugging it directly into any device without the cord; USB-C ports are not design to bear any weight/strain.)
    edited December 2019 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’d rather use the USB-A one-foot cable that Apple sells together with an iPhone plug adaptor or a device with a USB-A port. Cheaper and more versatile. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Very cool idea but too expensive for what it is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Plugging that directly into an iPad or MacBook seems some combination of risky and awkward.  But that's fine, you don't have to use it that way.

Personally I would have designed it with a "female" USB-C connector so that any USB-C cable would work.  

In other words, I would have made it like Apple's optional charging dock, with USB-C instead of lightning as the connector.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU9F2/apple-watch-magnetic-charging-dock?fnode=80

In any case, $45 for this would have been a better purchase than the $80 I (my wife) spent on the Apple version.

Update: I hadn't realized that Apple has introduced a $29 USB-C Watch charger (as mentioned at the end of the article).  I don't know why anyone would spend $45 on a third party version when Apple sells an equivalent product for less.  (Again, I would be concerned about plugging it directly into any device without the cord; USB-C ports are not design to bear any weight/strain.)
    Weight and strain? How heavy do you think a Watch is? The ports are most definitely able to withstand some force, go push on your power cord.

This is precisely what I’ve been looking for, and couldn’t find. Can easily pop it into the side of my MBP and lay my Watch on it to charge a bit while out and about working, or overnight if need be. Can also plug it directly into one of the USB-C charging bricks from either my iPad or MBP. 

A tad pricey but they make quality hardware. I’ll keep an eye out for a discount or sale. 

EDIT: there’s a 20% coupon when you click thru to the site. $36 and cheap ($4 for me) shipping ain’t bad. Ordered. 

Also a photo of my use case:

edited December 2019 watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 15
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    fastasleep said: 

Also a photo of my use case:

Yeah, that's a pretty tidy setup, especially for traveling. With my 4 TB3 port MBP I could even have the AW charging on one side and the power supply plugged in on the other.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 15
    The “20% off” coupon negates the free shipping, requiring $4.33 shipping, so the coupon really gets you only a 10% discount. Kinda sneaky. I don’t like sneaky.  
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bobdrake said:
    The “20% off” coupon negates the free shipping, requiring $4.33 shipping, so the coupon really gets you only a 10% discount. Kinda sneaky. I don’t like sneaky.  
    I noticed that, and edited my post... but shrugged and paid it anyway. It's four dollars. My cat could afford that and he doesn't even have a job.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bobdrake said:
    I noticed that, and edited my post... but shrugged and paid it anyway. It's four dollars. My cat could afford that and he doesn't even have a job.
    I am glad to hear that your cat can afford $4.

I think @bobdrake was merely saying that he "doesn't like sneaky". I feel the same way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Weight and strain? How heavy do you think a Watch is? The ports are most definitely able to withstand some force, go push on your power cord.

You don't look at that picture and immediately think "hmm, one unplanned bump and I just snapped the USB-C dick male connector off my $45 gadget?  

Show me anywhere that the USB-C socket is designed to be load-bearing.  Sure we have to plug in our devices, but the expectation is that it's with a flexible cord that reduces the risk of damage to the core device.

Whatever.  Enjoy your watch charger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    bobdrake said:
    I am glad to hear that your cat can afford $4.

I think @bobdrake was merely saying that he "doesn't like sneaky". I feel the same way.
    I'm not sure it's intentional. Before applying the coupon, it's over their threshold for free shipping (which is common). With the coupon applied, it brings it below that threshold, and applicable shipping needs to be added. If you added another product to your order, you'd be getting free shipping again. I don't assume they're being nefarious.
  • Reply 15 of 15

You don't look at that picture and immediately think "hmm, one unplanned bump and I just snapped the USB-C dick male connector off my $45 gadget?  

Show me anywhere that the USB-C socket is designed to be load-bearing.  Sure we have to plug in our devices, but the expectation is that it's with a flexible cord that reduces the risk of damage to the core device.

Whatever.  Enjoy your watch charger.
    I get it, but how does that not apply to every single thing you plug into your ports? I have mine plugged in right this second for the first time (without cable), and if I push down on the outer edge, it hits the desk after flexing a mm or two. Same with the other cables plugged into my MBP right now. 

IF the desk wasn't there to support it, could I snap it off? Probably, but I'd have to hit or push it it pretty hard on purpose. Under normal use there is no "load bearing" issue, and the fact that you *can* break it doesn't mean you shouldn't want to use it.

And thanks, I will enjoy it! It looks and works great.