2020 iPad Pro renders show triple-camera bump and glass back

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2020
OnLeaks has released yet another render, this time showing Apple fans what the upcoming iPad Pro models may look like.

Image Credit: OnLeaks & iGeeksBlog

Steve H. McFly, aka OnLeaks, has a pretty good track record when it comes to leaking images. He accurately rendered the iPhone 11 Pro design earlier this year.

The images are currently hosted at iGeeksBlog, who suggests that the new iPads may be released in March of 2020.

OnLeaks' newest leak showcases the new iPad Pro 11-inch and iPad 12.9-inch may look like. Predictably, the iPads are assumed to have the same dimensions as the 2018 models. OnLeaks has shared the dimensions of the 11-inch iPad Pro, which come in at 248 x 178.6 x 5.9mm, with the thickest point being the 7.8mm rear camera bump.

AppleInsider went hands on with a mock model of a similar iPad design in September of this year.

The renders showcase a triple-camera lens as similar to the iPhone 11 Pro line. The 11-inch iPad Pro will likely have an aluminum back, as suggested by the render. Interestingly enough, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro may debut with a glass back panel, similar to the iPhone 11 line.

It's likely that the iPad Pro line will boast the same A13X chip in the 2020 iPads that exist within the iPhone 11 line, as has been the case in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Ladies and gentlemen the new heaviest ever and most likely to need repair iPad Pro 2020!
    lkruppwilliamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 31
    The current pro doesn't feature a twin-lens array. I'm curious what a triple-lens could bring.

Also spice-boy, I'm sure you can be more inventive. "heaviest and most likely to need repair", that's weak - even for you.
    fruitstandninjaStrangeDayspscooter63SpamSandwichRayz2016uraharawilliamlondonwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 3 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    McFly is saying that he can’t confirm the material of the back, and renders of both glass and aluminum were done to show case both.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    spice-boy said:
    Ladies and gentlemen the new heaviest ever and most likely to need repair iPad Pro 2020!
    Indeed. Seems massively unlikely to me - both the glass back and the triple camera. 

Most likely reason for a glass back is to enable wireless charging, but is there much demand for this? A better solution (weight wise) would be a non-conductive "window" of some kind in the back, rather than an entire glass back.

The current iPad Pro has a single camera so it would be a big leap to go to a triple camera array. Again, is there much demand for the iPad to have this kind of photographic capability?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Some might ask who takes pictures with their iPad and why does an iPad need a fancy camera anyway. I see this at every public sporting event I attend, people standing there with their iPads hoisted up in front of their faces to take a picture of their son, daughter, grandchild , whatever. Just saying.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 31
    "It's likely that the iPad Pro line will boast the same A13X chip in the 2020 iPads that exist within the iPhone 11 line, as has been the case in the past."

Buh, for sake of clarity, iPads have featured beefier versions of the iPhone SOCs.

Mmm ... beefy chips ...
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 7 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    Some might ask who takes pictures with their iPad and why does an iPad need a fancy camera anyway. I see this at every public sporting event I attend, people standing there with their iPads hoisted up in front of their faces to take a picture of their son, daughter, grandchild , whatever. Just saying.
    They look like idiots and forget to turn off the flash. 
    MplsPwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 31
    paul.feldersteinpaul.felderstein Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    Dear idiots, if you put a bump on the iPad, you won't be able to lay it flat to type on it. Apple makes some truly stupid mistakes, but this would be stupid on scale I've not seen before. 
    davgregwilliamlondonsuperklotoncornchip
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Dear idiots, if you put a bump on the iPad, you won't be able to lay it flat to type on it. Apple makes some truly stupid mistakes, but this would be stupid on scale I've not seen before. 
    The current iPad Pro has a camera bump. It lays flat just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Glass back doesn't sound that plausible, but a multiple camera array for supporting Apple's push into AR makes sense. Just not sure about triple.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Cool story bro. Such truly stupid mistakes they beat everyone in smartphones, tablets, wearables, etc etc. 

Do you actually own an iPad? No problems using mine.
    edited December 2019 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I belong to that subset of iPad owners that usually have the device with me. If it’s in my had I use it for photos so having a better camera array is a plus for me. 
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 13 of 31
    recently bought an ipad pro 11” and ipad mini 5. the former for work and the latter for day-to-day consumption. while i love the pro, i just like the portability of the mini. wish apple would make a pro at that size.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Nearly everyone will have an iPad Pro in a Smart Folio or the Smart Keyboard Folio or third party case which has to have a back panel on the Pro models due to where the magnets are, covering the back, which negates the bump. 

I just took mine out of its sleeve and it lays flat just fine and doesn’t wobble or anything.

But yeah, idiots!
    williamlondonwatto_cobrapscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 31
    litoloop said:
    recently bought an ipad pro 11” and ipad mini 5. the former for work and the latter for day-to-day consumption. while i love the pro, i just like the portability of the mini. wish apple would make a pro at that size.
    "wish apple would make a pro at that size."

Nah.  This is what I wish for

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    spice-boy said:
    That was my thought - not that Apple hasn’t done anything stupid in the past, but what use is there for a glass back on an ipad? on the iphone it allows for wireless charging. Are they seriously expecting people to use wireless charging for an ipad? Beyond that, the aluminum back is so much more durable and less prone to breakage. I got my wife a new iPad Air for christmas with a Brydge keyboard. The back is fully exposed, but that’s just fine. A glass back would almost mandate a case.

As for the camera, there are a lot of businesses who use iPads (think contractors doing quotes, insurance adjusters, etc) the camera is very useful for these people, and the ability to zoom in with a better telephoto lens as well as zoom out would be useful for these cases.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    MplsP said:
    spice-boy said:
    That was my thought - not that Apple hasn’t done anything stupid in the past, but what use is there for a glass back on an ipad? on the iphone it allows for wireless charging. Are they seriously expecting people to use wireless charging for an ipad? Beyond that, the aluminum back is so much more durable and less prone to breakage. I got my wife a new iPad Air for christmas with a Brydge keyboard. The back is fully exposed, but that’s just fine. A glass back would almost mandate a case.

As for the camera, there are a lot of businesses who use iPads (think contractors doing quotes, insurance adjusters, etc) the camera is very useful for these people, and the ability to zoom in with a better telephoto lens as well as zoom out would be useful for these cases.
    Actually that's one of my only complaints about the iPad Pro — I wish I could get a Smart Cover that attaches on the side and leaves the back exposed. Those don't exist due to the magnet setup in the Pro, so you can only find cases that cover the back and front which makes it significantly thicker. Hoping they add magnets back to the side in a future revision.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    litoloop said:
    "wish apple would make a pro at that size."

Nah.  This is what I wish for

I rather have 8inch iPad Pro instead. Folding screen is not yet optimal function.
    superklotonmacpluspluswatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 31
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I have owned and enjoyed the iPad Pro and really do not see the value or need for a glass back or a fancy camera.

It is a rare thing where I would be using my iPad Pro and not have the iPhone 11 Pro along, so exactly why would I want a duplicative camera set up on the iPad Pro? As to a glass back for wireless charging, I do just fine with USB C charging. The Anker charger sold in the Apple Store does a good job with both my iPad Pro and my MacBook Air.

My only complaints with the current Pro are battery life could be better and the clunky two button shutdown method.

I would love to see Apple completely switch over to USB C on iOS/iPad OS devices.
    williamlondonsuperkloton
  • Reply 20 of 31
    There should be a version without camera at all. That’d be so great and it’d be cheaper at that.