Apple Maps improvements conclude with push into Alaska, Central & Southeast US

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has made good on a promise it made at WWDC, and has now rolled out improved Apple Maps data across the entire U.S.

Spotted by Nate Thompson on Twitter, Apple Maps has begun rolling out an update that brings updated coverage to the U.S. Central and Southeast. The update includes greater detail to roads, bike paths, footpaths, parking lots, buildings, parks, pools, and bodies of water.

Looks like the new Apple Maps data just hit the southeast
(cc @MacRumors @9to5mac) pic.twitter.com/hYFyT8CXj7

-- Nate Thompson (@NateThompson)

Like the midwest update that took place in October, the expansion into the southeast appears to be rolling out at different times across different platforms.

This concludes Apple's rollout of the enhanced Maps data. Apple had promised the entirety of the US would get the data by the end of 2019.

It was recently revealed that Apple had spent "billions" on revamping Apple Maps, after a less than stellar launch of Maps in 2012. The information was released as part of Apple's ongoing antitrust probe, though an exact amount of money spent was never stated.

Apple Maps has been going through major changes, and the advent of iOS 13 has brought "Look Around" -- Apple's rival to Google's Street View -- to the iPhone.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    I don't get why Apple has their own maps. Google Maps is what I use and don't think Apples are as good
    davgregwilliamlondonchemengin1pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Competition is good! Keep companies inovating! Personally I use Waze (Google owned).
    guscatpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 44
    ArcaSwiss said:
    I don't get why Apple has their own maps. Google Maps is what I use and don't think Apples are as good
    Apple has their own maps because otherwise everyone would be using Google Maps.

What happens if Google released iOS map updates slower than on Android? For many, accurate maps is the most important thing on their phone.  iPhone users would migrate...
    macmojotaddguscatwilliamlondonnetmagelostkiwiwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 4 of 44
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Because they, like myself, do not want to have to rely on Google. They also don’t want to be beholden to Google’s privacy and data policies with regard to their users. Also they are direct competitors. Also they’re working on a vehicle. Get it yet?

That said, I only use Apple Maps and it’s great. 
    StrangeDayskitatitRayz2016MacQcmacmojomontrosemacstaddwilliamlondonthtnetmage
  • Reply 5 of 44
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Apple has every right to compete in whatever market it chooses and the reason they created their own maps was due to Google not bringing turn by turn navigation to iOS (back in the iPhone 4 days) unless Apple was prepared to let Google data mine users the same way it does on Android.

Apple said no and the rest is history. For what it’s worth, I use Apple Maps all the time now and it works great for me.

I live in Sydney Australia and just yesterday saw a sedan in my suburb with a strange pole sticking up from its roof with a large bulbous enclosure atop it that looked like it had multiple camera lenses all around it. Was so focused on the weirdness of it I almost missed the writing on the side of the car - “Apple Imagery for Maps”!

so looks like it’s not just our American cousins who’ll be getting this enhancement!
    StrangeDaysfastasleepMacQcmontrosemacswilliamlondonnetmagelostkiwiwatto_cobrapscooter63chasm
  • Reply 6 of 44
    I’m enjoying the updated Apple Maps. Look around is on the money. Glad there is a option other than Google maps. 
    watto_cobracornchipchasm
  • Reply 7 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ArcaSwiss said:
    AI/DED has written many articles about it. Do you remember when Apple used Google Maps in iOS? Do you remember that Google wouldn't offer Apple vector mapping or turn-by-turn directions unless Apple ponied up copious amounts of personal user data? Do you remember the ads being pushed into your Maps as dubious real-time location options?

It's great you prefer Google Maps over Apple Maps, but I'm glad that I can choose not to be an Eloi for Google Maps.
    fastasleepkitatitMacQcmacmojomontrosemacsStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobrapscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Been using AM every since it was out, never had a problem. Major metro city. 
    williamlondonthtwatto_cobrapscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 44
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Mapping and location services became a core function of iPhones several years ago. You don’t sub out your core functions to your direct competitor. 

Mapping and location services aren’t just a standalone app any more; they’re integrated into all sorts of other apps and functions. Apple never gives third-party developers that level of access to their operating systems. 

Also, Apple’s commitment to user privacy would be meaningless if all that location-based user data was being ported over to Google, a company with a business model based almost entirely on selling that user data to advertisers and whoever else will pay for it. Apple makes its money selling you devices, and they can sell more of those by being the company that isn’t selling your data or handing it over to Google so they can sell it. 
    macmojomontrosemacsfastasleepwilliamlondonthtnetmageStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Been using AM every since it was out, never had a problem. Major metro city. 
    I recently had issues with Apple Maps in Kauai. Everything was close but off. Sometimes in was a block or two off. I then tried Google Maps and it was off. With my limited use in the browser it may have been a little better, but it was still off a lot more than I've experienced in the contiguous US since before Apple Maps launched.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 44
    I recently had issues with Apple Maps in Kauai. Everything was close but off. Sometimes in was a block or two off. I then tried Google Maps and it was off. With my limited use in the browser it may have been a little better, but it was still off a lot more than I've experienced in the contiguous US since before Apple Maps launched.
    Interestingly (and this was a few years back) the only place I've had persistent issues with AM was whilst touring Kuai. Ended up on several dead-end roads, frustrating, but the silver-lining was discovering fascinating backwaters on the island we would otherwise have never seen. Last year in LA Google Maps routed me through a gated community. The guard wouldn't let me in and I had to backtrack several miles in the hills above Santa Monica. Again saw stuff (huge mansions) I would otherwise have never seen. Adventures with Map Apps. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 44
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Now that Apple has first-rate maps, at least in mainland USA, I hope it starts to be used by more third parties. Or that those third parties (like Yelp, Shiptracker, etc) offer users a choice. The only time I've personally come across Apple Maps in the third party wild is with birding apps from Cornell University. If AI is looking for someting new to track....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Folio said:
    Now that Apple has first-rate maps, at least in mainland USA, I hope it starts to be used by more third parties. Or that those third parties (like Yelp, Shiptracker, etc) offer users a choice. The only time I've personally come across Apple Maps in the third party wild is with birding apps from Cornell University. If AI is looking for someting new to track....
    The iOS Yelp app uses it and the DuckDuckGo web site offers it as an option to name the two that I know of but I agree, more third party use would be good. What I’d like to see is a WordPress plugin for Apple Maps. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Folio said:
    Yelp uses Apple Maps, I'm staring at it right now on my iPad. I just opened several others (Facebook, OpenTable, Hotels.com) and they all use Apple Maps. When's the last time you checked your third party apps?
    guscatwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Earlier this year, I used AM via my Apple Watch to navigate across France and back, and the experience was excellent, though not 100% perfect. I discovered I much prefer getting directions through the watch than the phone. 
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 44
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Seems to be a work in progress where I live/drive.

It is not the dumpster fire it once was, but is still not the best for routing or avoiding construction or accidents along your route.

In case there is someone from Apple lurking, please  do look around for Zip Code 98281 - Pt Roberts, Wa. Google has never added street view.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 44
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Thanks for comments. Good to know some users having wider success. Funny, using iphone 11 Pro, ios 13.1, and safari on 27Dec2019 the Yelp review for a local restaurant still gives me -- gasp-- Google Maps. But yes I recall with AppleWatch capability too Yelp working more closely w Applemaps. Don't know what variables determine it. But I'd like a toggle for AppleMaps in Safari ios,  as they do for ck for ApplePay. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 44
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Uh, because Google Maps started withholding key features such as turn by turn directions from the iPhone and Apple thought that Google was collecting too much data form its users. If you're using Google Maps on your iPhone and you honestly think that it's better than Apple Maps, you really have Apple Maps to thank for that because if memory serves me right Google only started improving Google Maps on the iPhone once Apple Maps was released.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/apple-maps-google-iphone-users

Personally, Apple Maps works just fine with me, and I almost never have a problem with it to the point where I can't remember the last time I used Google Maps (I may have even deleted it off my phone, I honestly can't remember.) I am also happy to have one less Google thing in my life tracking me.
    cornchipthtnetmagewatto_cobraEsquireCatspscooter63Rayz2016
  • Reply 19 of 44
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Would be cool if they could get flyover & lookaround to everyone in the contiguous 48... 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 44
    ArcaSwiss said:
    For the same reason Apple has their own operating system, and Adidas and Nike are competitors. 
    Agreed - Apple Maps isn’t nearly as good, especially restaurants and POIs, but that doesn’t mean one should compete.