Apple videos encourages iPhone 11 users to make 'slofies'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is continuing to highlight the high-speed capabilities of the iPhone 11's front-facing camera, by releasing four videos showing how a 'slofie' could be taken on the smartphone with a wide variety of different results on the same theme.

Introduced at the launch of the iPhone 11, a "Slofie" is the same as a self-portrait "selfie," except that instead of bring a single shot, it's actually a slo-mo video of the subject. Combining "slow" and "selfie" in a portmanteau, it takes advantage of updates to the front-facing camera, which allows it to record at 4K resolution at up to 60fps, and in slo-mo at up to 120fps.

The four videos published to the official YouTube account on Saturday show how the concept can be explored in different ways, while also pointing out how making the videos can be funny. The first has a man with loose skin move his face from side to side, with the slofie capturing the wobbling jowls.

The second has a man dancing under a sprinkler, simultaneously advertising the iPhone 11's water resistance.

A third is a group slofie where three girls move around a smoke-filled and neon-colored room, which turns out to be a walk-in freezer at a store.

The fourth is not new, as it is the same video Apple itself played to the audience at the launch of the iPhone 11. In it, a girl in front of a foil backdrop has air from a hairdryer blasted at her face as she moves around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Good stuff. I will always love the last one the most haha Such an older sister thing to do!
    narwhalcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Nice feature.  Terrible name.  
  • Reply 3 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Then you're probably to old for the target audience.
    watto_cobranapoleon_phoneapartEsquireCatspscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 27
    So they come up with this absurd trick then expect people to use it?   Get lost Apple
    ralphieagilealtitudechemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    ArcaSwiss said:
    So they come up with this absurd trick then expect people to use it?   Get lost Apple
    Agreed. Slofies, Memoji, Animoji, all just dumb.
    mobirdblurpbleepbloopSpamSandwichagilealtitude
  • Reply 6 of 27
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    DAalseth said:
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Sure are, but folk use them. Generation dumb: X Factor, I’m a Celebrity, Trump as President.  Remember how the Roman Empire fed Christians to lions before it fell? We are well overdue a mass cleanse.
    cy_starkmanredgeminipanapoleon_phoneapartralphieDAalseth
  • Reply 7 of 27
    JinTech said:
    Then you're probably to old for the target audience.
    I'm sure that "logic" probably made sense to you.  That's like saying someone who thinks Sony has terrible naming schemes (absolutely terrible) for their headphones is too old for their target audience.  {derp}
    I'm pretty sure thinking "slofie" is terrible name has nothing to do age.  5 or 55, 18 or 80, slofie is terrible.  Opinions may differ, but those people are wrong. :)
    edited December 2019 seanismorrisblurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Maybe legalizing drugs in California wasn’t such a good idea...
    watto_cobracy_starkmanDAalseth2old4fundewme
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Maybe legalizing drugs in California wasn’t such a good idea...
    you are the winner of this thread
    DAalseth
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Credits for Tim’s Wheels for the Mind - indispensable to realize what imbeciles we are.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 11 of 27
    DAalseth said:
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Yeah, everyone should be still emailing each other in Pine in a green and black terminal! 

...is what you guys sound like. 

God forbid people have some fun with their communication devices and maybe learn how to use hi-FPS modes in their cameras to creative effect. The horror.

watto_cobracy_starkmanpscooter63EsquireCatsdewmeStrangeDayscoolfactorcornchipJinTech
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Just what we need. Another way for people to take pics of themselves. /s
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Credits for Tim’s Wheels for the Mind - indispensable to realize what imbeciles we are.
    So true. No one ever went broke catering to the lowest common denominator.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 27
    SLO-motion video capture for the front facing camera is about as amazing as slo=motion video capture on the rear facing camera. Please, AI, don’t perpetuate the stupid name just because Apple apparently lacked judgement on the matter.  Not only is it a terrible name, it seems like a deprecate move on Apple’s part - did they really expect that they could coin a terrible term, ignite a craze of slo-motion videos and gain some marketing buzz off of it. I legitimately felt bad for Craig Federighi when he was made to introduce the term back when iPhone 11 was introduced.  I can only imagine he needed to take a long shower to feel clean afterwards. Gotta give it up to him - He took one for the team - good company man.

Did I mention I think the term “slofie” is idiotic?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I see the holidays have brought out all the bitter cunts. 
    fastasleepStrangeDayspeterhartpscooter63Rayz2016cornchipJinTechkudu
  • Reply 16 of 27
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Seems like something you try one or twice then the novelty wears off
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Aahhh, look at all the upset whiners.
    SpamSandwichfastasleepStrangeDayscoolfactorEsquireCatskudu
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Whatever. I’d rather Apple developed a method for users to better ramp up and down shutter speed so a person would be able to variably change to slo-mo during the course of shooting a regular-speed video instead of stopping the shoot and having to deliberately choose slo-mo in advance.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Agreed. Sounds like a Slurpee.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Whatever. I’d rather Apple developed a method for users to better ramp up and down shutter speed so a person would be able to variably change to slo-mo during the course of shooting a regular-speed video instead of stopping the shoot and having to deliberately choose slo-mo in advance.
    Shutter speed != frame rate. That said, you can’t do this because if you’re shooting in 4K, 120 or 240 FPS is only available at 1080p. You’d need to select it in advance for this reason and also because Apple let’s you edit the slow down/speed up ramps in post, so you’d have to be shooting in 120/240 continuously to do that. Guess how much more storage that sucks up versus 30 or 60p? Most users wouldn’t want that on by default. 
    StrangeDayspscooter63